Denon 2910 HDMI red flashes

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by swynjones, Sep 26, 2005.

1. swynjones

swynjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone

Bought the denon 2910 DVD player and Infoucs 4805 projector from Sevenoaks last week. Linked them using a 2 metre QED HDMI cable. However, on HDMI I get the image flashing red every few seconds.

Took everything back to sevenoaks who set it up there and got same problem as me. They then tried a new QED cable which worked. No red flashing.

Took everything home again, set it up and RED FLASHES again. Turned everything off and on again and unplugged/plugged everythibng. Once again RED FLASHES. Turned projector off/on again and then a stable image! Turned off/on again and got red flashes again!!!

Last night I tried setting up the denon and projector via HDMI about 20 times. 17 times I got red flashes, three times I got a stable image. Its just completely random, there is no pattern to what must be turned on first etc.

Really disapointed, and from what Ive read on these forums it seems most likely to be a problem with the Denon HDMI output rather than the projector. Sevenoaks have offered a straight replacement but i reckon there is a good chance I'll get the same problem with a replacement denon unit. Instead I'm considereing upgrading to pioneer 868.

Would like to hear your thoughts, particularly on whether the pioneer 868 is a better bet. I'm a bit put off buying even the denon 3910 in acse this red flashing is also a feature with other denon models.

2. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's the cable - try a cable from a different manufacturer.

3. swynjones

swynjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Went back to sevenoaks yesterday and tried different leads. No difference. Still got red flashing.

Changed DVD player to Pioneer 868 and got a stable image.

Based on some of the other posts here it seems I am not alone in having a problem outputting HDMI with the Denon 2910.

If you want a stable HDMI image, keep well away from Denon DVD players

4. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Steady on, that's a bit strong. I've got a Denon 2910 connected to a Sim2 Domino 20H via a 15 metre HDMI cable and the picture is rock solid and gorgeous. Sounds like you've definitely got problems with the Denon, but it could be a projector/DVD player compatibility problem. I know that Sim2 updated their firmware to fix some Denon related issue.

Bottom line is try it. Sounds like it either works perfectly or fails pretty consistently so you'll soon know.

5. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What cable are you using pingu?

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    ok, firstly, did sevenoaks try it with another 2910 hooked up? it may literally have been just your specific player, we all know as much as companies try to release perfectly working models every time there is always going to be a few units per hundred that have a problem.....
    i can certainly say my 3910 has no problems whatsoever and is a spanktastic player...

please dont ever try and put down an entire brand name based on one unit, i hate it when people do that, often see people slating Dell on computer forums, yet i've owned 4 PCs from them and they all are marvellous (except the 4th one, during transit the extra internal case fan had come loose and knocked things about a bit...lol...but they straight away replaced the mobo, cpu, g-card and memory for new ones, once it was picked up it took them just 3 days to get it back to me...i only ever bother with 1 year C&R..lol...and its worked perfectly for the last year now)

7. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    15m Chord HDMI.

I was a bit worried having read about problems with long runs, but this is a beauty.

Cheers,
    pingu.

8. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Interesting. I have sent my Supra back and they are going to test it. If it is faulty I'm going to try a replacement, otherwise I can only assume some incompatibility and will go for a 8m Chord.