1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2910 HDMI Interlaced output?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AndyR, Jan 25, 2005.

1. AndyR

AndyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the 2910 can output an interlaced signal via HDMI? The reason is I'd like my projector to do all the scaling.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Um, if you send interlaced you're forcing the projector to do deinterlacing, scaling will be done if the projector hasn't the same resolution as the image. :)

I'm pretty sure Denons will not output interlaced via HDMI, only progressive.

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Kragys right, no interlaced via HDMI with Denon.

Only pioneer and Arcam at present (i think)

4. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You can get intrlaced DMI or DVI set the denon to 1080i

5. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    You can get 1080i from the denon, but unless you have a projector/hdtv with a 1080i native rate then what your doing is:

Going from 576/480i on the dvd
    De-interlacing and scaling to 720p
    Re-interlacing and scaling to 1080i
    **All the above steps are done inside the dvd player, then**
    The display device reduction scales and de-interlaces the 1080i to the display rate prob 720P....

...all that scaling, re-interlacing and de-interlacing really doesn't help improve picture quality, in the majority of cases.

If you can say what your viewing device is, we can try and advice accordingly - but if the scaler in your viewing device is better than the 2910, then send it 480/576p over hdmi and the scaler will do its work.

M

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the point of 576i over HDMI is source native digital data that can be processed by a high quality video processor (internal or external) before display, (remove the lower quality processsing/deinterlacing in the DVD player)

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Are you sure that's what goes on? Why not just scale the 480/576i up to 1080i? :confused:

Steve

8. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    That's exactly what happens, it's a good question, why, to which I don't have the answer, but I do know that that's what happen's in every upscaling dvd player as far as I'm aware, sorry.

I have a 3910 connected to a Toshiba MT8 with a native 720p rate, I tried both 1080i and 720P from the 3910 over dvi, and found 720p to be superior - esp. as your removing all that extra unnecessery processing.

M

9. sjb8080

sjb8080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark,
    Are you sure it doesn't go from 576/480i -> DeInterlace -> scale to 1080 -> interlace

I appreciate that it must deinterlace before scaling, but why not scale to 1080 in one go?

10. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Read the first, long post, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=477740

The paragraph thats really relevent is:

"But all that techy, geeky stuff aside, the big news was that these players could put out glorious 720p or 1080i signals from a DVD disc via those HDMI or DVI connections! "Glorious" here being a marketing term of art. The important thing to remember, the thing I have to keep stressing because I see that buying frenzy gleam coming into your eye again, is that THE CONTENT ON THE DVDs IS ONLY 480i AND NO SCHEME CAN INVENT DATA THAT ISN'T THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

The 480i data decoded from the DVD first gets de-interlaced to 480p. Then it gets scaled up either to 720p or to 1080p. If the desired output signal is 720p then you are done. If the desired output signal is 1080i then the signal gets RE-interlaced to 1080i. The TV receives a digital 720p or 1080i signal from the player and SCALES IT AGAIN to match the native resolution of the display.

Urrh why are we doing this?"

11. sjb8080

sjb8080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I'm reading that correctly, it does scale to 1080 in one go.

Since the deinterlace/re-intrelace is just digitally reordering the data, it shouldn't affect the PQ.

I don't think things are quite as bad as you thought. ;)