1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

denon 2910 hdmi-dvi green tint

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by usman24, Jun 27, 2005.

1. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have a Hitachi 42pd5200 connected via hdmi-dvi from a denon 2910 dvd player. Out of curiosity I purchased a Tech+link wires xs component video lead to compare picture quality. I have used component leads [profigold] in the past and when compared to hdmi looked noisy and inferior. I was shocked to discover that the Tech+link wires wx component lead would give just as good if not better picture quality on some dvd's. The component was vivid, colourful and the hdmi-dvi was giving me a green tint to anything I watched. I was oblivious to this tint problem until I compared the two.

Can anyone explain why people say hdmi or dvi is better than a top notch component connection and what is causing the green tint on the digital connection? Can it be rectified?

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If you have a dig around this forum I think you'll find plenty of comment around component potentially being superior to HDMI/DVI. People simply assume that 'cause HDMI is digital and/or upscaled it must be the best.

Have a look here for example...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217549&page=1&pp=15

I also recall comments around green tint - again, do a search...PJ :)

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I have a 32pd5200 with a Denon 2910 and have found component gives me a better picture with much less noticeable noise and macroblocking. While the DVI picture isn't bad, it does come as a bit of a surprise that an alternative method of connection is so much better between the 2 same bits of kit. I think the problem is double edged. We are aware of the macrblocking issues of the 2910 via DVI/HDMI attributed to the Faroudja chip. I also believe the Hitachi's DVI input is not as good as it could be and a combination of the 2 brings the performance level below that of the Denons addmitedly excellent component video performance. Other kit combinations probably don't suffer the same issues...

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Quite often component is inferior to DVI/HDMI on the same player, however your experience show's there's no hard and fast rule. The only way to be sure is to try it!

I'm sure a lot of people are missing out on "free" superior PQ simply by not trying the options already available to them...PJ :)

5. Joonas

Joonas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Denon 2910 gave also green picture from HDMI and DVI with version -4 firmware. The problem was pretty much solved by upgrade to version -8.

Another thing is that the HDMI connection is not very good on Denon. At least with 15 m cable I have to use DVI to HDMI cable with my Panasonic PT-AE700. HDMI to HDMI connection causes constant red flashes in the picture.

I hope this helps.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Interesting. Did you buy an adapter or did you replace the whole cable?
    ...PJ :)

7. Joonas

Joonas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is going to be even more interesting. I replaced the whole cable with a DVI-HDMI cable. However, my original HDMI-HDMI cable also worked just fine with DVI output and DVI to HDMI adapter.