1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2910 has arrived

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dgrobinson, Oct 10, 2004.

1. dgrobinson

dgrobinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered a Denon 2910 from AVLand in Wellingborough (www.avland.co.uk) on Wednesday expecting to wait a week or two until the player was released. However, I received a call from AVLand yesterday afternoon to tell me that the 2910 had arrived and that they would drop it round to my house on their way home. At 7:15 in the evening a knock on the door heralded the arrival of my my new player. This is the first purchase I have made from AVLand and I have never visited their shop but I am impressed with the service so far :smashin:

On to the player. It is a Region 2 version in black. The multi-region isn't available yet but AVLand promised to mail me a copy of the firmware upgrade as soon as it arrives. This is my first mid-priced dvd player, although it cost around the same as my first dvd player, a Toshiba 2107 that I bought almost 7 years ago for £500! That machine is still going strong but won't play DVD-R or decode DTS so it is rarely used. The 2910 replaces my current player, a Toshiba 210. The first thing to note is the size and weight compared to the Tosh. It is a substantial piece of kit unlike the Tosh which feels like it would move in a gentle breeze. I spent some time hooking the player up to my system. Coax digital out, 6-channel out and composite video out to me Denon 3801, component and DVI to my recently installed Panasonic PT-AE500 projector, which projects on to a 92" Da-Lite DaMat screen. The Denon 3801 monitor out is connected to a Sony 36" CRT.

As the player is not yet MR and most of my collection, and favourite demo disks, are Region 1 I struggled to find a test disk, but eventually settled on the single disk R2 version of X-Men 2. When I first fired it up I was impressed by the picture quality over composite to my CRT, but the main reason for the purchase was so that I could use the DVI input of my PJ. First impresions of the PQ through the PJ were not as favourable as on the CRT. With both the CRT and the PJ running there was a definite greenish tinge to the projected image in comparison to the CRT. I only had about an hour or so to mess about with the player before the wife started knocking on the floor from above :rolleyes: and there are a confusing array of configuration options on the player. I haven't tried to calibrate the player against the display yet (Video Essentials dvd on order). However, the PJ has a number of preset modes for each input - Normal, Dynamic, Video, Natural, Cinema1 and Cinema2. I found that the Natural and Cinema2 modes removed the greenish tint to a point that I am fairly sure it was gone. Switching between inputs made no discernible difference to the hue of the picture but the player and projector coped well with all the modes - 480p, 480i over component, 480, 720 and 1080 over DVI. I have read reports that using the DVI output on the 1910 the diplayed image is offset and has black bars around the edge of the picture. There is a slight offset on my PJ with the 2910 using DVI compared with Component. I have set up the PJ with a slight overscan left and right. Both sides are equal using the component input but with DVI there is no overscan on th left whilst the right side remains the same.

In my brief test I didn't notice any macroblocking but the hue was taking most of my attention. I will spend some more time configuring and testing as soon as I can and report back any new findings. On the whole I am pleased with the look and feel of the player and the picture has potential but, so far, if I am honest with myself, it is struggling to justify its price tag.

2. dgrobinson

dgrobinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brief update: I have produced a couple of movie only backups of my R1 Toy Story 2 disc ;) so that I can compare my Toshiba 210 with the Denon 2910. That comparison will have to wait a while but playing Toy Story 2 on the Denon didn't seem to produce the greenish hue that I saw last night so maybe there is a difference beteen NTSC and PAL?

3. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Keep the info coming, mate! As soon as my local shop gets enough in, I'll be taking be taking one home to play with. Any comments in the meantime read with interest.

Cheers!

Henry

4. miker

miker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You must use mode 1 progressive for NTSC and Mode 2 for Pal. Maybe you have left it on Mode 1. :cool:

5. Mr Forgetful

Mr Forgetful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have the denon 2200, do I need to have it in mode 2 for R2 disc's then?

6. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    I would be interested in finding this out as well.

I have just got a 2200 and havent experimented with it much. The PQ is stunning on PAL discs through my plasma with mode 1, though.

7. Mr Forgetful

Mr Forgetful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Anyone known if I should have the DVD in Progressive Mode 2 for Region 2 Discs?

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

Yes......I believe that is correct for Denon's , mode 2 for PAL

9. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I've never heard this before, I thought the modes were just for changing from flagged to level detection if you had any problems???

10. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Anyone????

11. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have an answer - it confuses me too. The manual states to set the Progressive mode to Auto1 for film material and to Auto2 for 30-frame material. Auto2 would seem more appropriate for film material that is shot in a native NTSC format, which is approximately 30fps, as opposed to standard film format of 24fps. I am not sure how the Auto2 PAL suggestion fits in with the 30-frame comment in the manual as PAL is 25fps.

BTW just had an email from the supplier of my 2910 to say that the multiregion firmware update has arrived :smashin:

12. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Hey guys, I was just able to get the 2910 Firmware. If anybody is interested, check
    the thread called "Need multiregion firmware for 1910" in the DVD player handset hack section.

Its from a french guy who used this firmware for his 2910.
    I cant be sure if it will work but the file is very similar to the 3910's file so it will probably work.

I also have a big question about the 2910. Is the picture quality as good as the 3910 or not as good? I really want to know coz if the video board is the same (as many have said) then I dont want to spend extra money on the 3910 if theres no difference in quality.
    If it is better however I will get the 3910.