Denon 2910 DVD player HMDI/DVI problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BOBFAN, Mar 21, 2005.

1. BOBFAN

BOBFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased a Denon 2910 & am connecting it to a Sharp XV-Z200E projector via a HMDI>DVI cable. It all seems to work fine on 480P/576P, although sometimes I get a bit of snow but if I stop the disc & start again it’s fine, but if I change to 720P or 1080i I get a really distorted green picture. The projector shows it’s receiving a 720P or 1080i so is it a problem with the cable? I put the cable in some months ago during the projector installation and finances at the time wouldn’t permit a new DVD player. The sharp has a DVI connection & I went for HMDI at the DVD end as I thought most DVD players would only have one connection & this seem to be the favourite. Could this be the problem? The cable came from Supra.
    Also on a separate problem I can’t get any sort of image from the component connections, I’ve tried turning off the HMDI/DVI but nothing. The component cables had been used previous on my Sony player so I just unplugged these & plugged them into the Denon. Sorry if I’m doing something really stupid here!
    Any feedback would be most welcome.

:lease:
    David

2. dgr6966

dgr6966
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 2910 and have had a quick look at the Sharp XVZ200 manual. For the DVI connection it appears that you need to move a physical switch on the back of the projector to select the digital input mode to video. Within the menu system on the projector you should set the Input2 mode to RGB. On the 2910 you should use the HDMI RGB option. Pressing the HDMI/DVI Select button cycles between OFF - YbCbCr - RGB - DVI. The HDMI/DVI Format button lets you select the output resolution, as I am sure you know. Once you have selected the correct mode I would try turning the 2910 off and on as the Sharp manual states that the signal source should be last piece of equipment to be turned on. The problems may be cable related, though. The higher the resolution you attempt to use, the more likely you are to reveal limitations in the cable as the bandwidth that the cable is required to carry is much greater. How long is the HDMI-DVI cable? I have a 10m DVI-DVI cable that I bought from Cobalt Cable in the USA and that works fine with my 2910 and Panasonic PT-500, but that is getting close to the limit for a DVI cable for guaranteed reliability.

When attempting to use the component connection you need to make sure that you select Input 1 on the projector and that the HDMI/DVI Select option on the 2910 is set to OFF, otherwise no signal will be output from the 2910. I am not sure whether the Sharp accepts a PAL progressive signal so you may want to try turning off the Progressive output mode on the 2910 using the VIDEO OUT option in the VIDEO SETUP menu and/or trying an NTSC dvd.

Good Luck.

3. Joonas

Joonas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the Denon 2910 with Panasonic PT-AE700 and I had severe problems with the HDMI output of Denon. Several tested HDMI-HDMI cables caused red flashes in the picture when used with HDMI output. The same cable used with DVI output and suitable adapter worked just fine. :confused:

The retailer I dealt with was using 12 m HDMI-HDMI cable from Supra between Denon and Panasonic without any problems though. Unfortunately, Supra is not able to deliver these cables at the moment.

I now have a 15m DVI (DVD) to HDMI (projector) cable from Hama and the picture is just perfect. Therefore I would suggest getting a DVI-HDMI adapter and testing the DVI output of Denon.

The use of component output requires HDMI/DVI setting "off". If that does not help there must be something wrong with the player. With component connection you will not have the possibility to upscale the signal to 720p or 1080i.

I hope this helps.

4. BOBFAN

BOBFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to both replies.
    Dgr6966 first. Yes have checked the digital input mode & it is set to video. I will try your suggestion tonight & let you know how I get on. The cable is 8m so I thought it would be fine. Yes thanks Joonas I had thought about using a HMDI>DVI adaptor to see if that made a difference, just seems a little crazy!
    Thanks to both for you suggestions on the component. I’ve tried all you suggested except turning off the prog scan, will also try that tonight.

David

5. BOBFAN

BOBFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well have just tried both suggestions & here are the results. Still no luck with 720P or 1080i even if a turn the DVD player on last. The DVI is in a separate digital input not input 2 so can’t alter anything there. I’m beginning to suspect the cable, thought about contacting Supra for their advice. The web site says DVI is fine up to 10m so 8m should be OK. Unfortunately can’t change the cable as I built it into the wall and ceiling during installation! One final point does 720P or 1080i show much improvement anyway?
    With the component connections things get a little weird! Turned off the prog scan and yes I got a picture with a PAL disc. Assumed then that I would get NTSC prog scan but no this again only worked with it off. Now I get 480P/576P through the HMDI>DVI so why not component. Also I am able to switch between component & HMDI>DVI and get a picture without turning the HMDI off something the manual says you can’t do!
    So what do you think is it a cable problem or do I have a problem with the DVD player? Would the firmware update help?

David

:lease:

6. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The use of component output requires HDMI/DVI setting "off". If that does not help there must be something wrong with the player. With component connection you will not have the possibility to upscale the signal to 720p or 1080i.

This is not strictly true. THe denon will output interlaced signal via component when HDMI/DVI is on. But no scaling over component, obviously.
    This setting is ideal if you wish to connect to a scaler.
    To scale over component and prog scan, HDMI/DVI must be set to off.

I have my 2910 connected to my plasma by both HDMI -DVI in and component at the same time so I can toggle between input modes to compare picture quality. :lesson:

7. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Bobfan I had problems with my component going from my 3910 to my old nec projector. I couldn't get the picture to show in progressive. To fix this try setting your dvd player to output NTSC only. Don't select PAL or AUTO. This is because my projector wouldn't accept PAL progressive only NTSC progressive. Your dvd player will also convert thet PAL disks from 50 fps to 60fps. Don't know if it will work for you but give it a go. Now got the new Ae700 going from HDMI to HDMI on a 10m QED cable 720p with no probs. Amazing picture :thumbsup:

8. BOBFAN

BOBFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Buffyfan tried your suggestion but no good. The projector says 480P but there’s no picture. So I can only get a picture from interlaced using component. Any ideas why, is it the Shap? I can’t believe it won’t accept a prog scan image!
    Can you also get 1080i from your HDMI to HMDI or just 720p? Beginging to think this may be a cable problem, think I’ll email Supra and see what they say.

David

9. BOBFAN

BOBFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have emailed Supra but no reply yet. Have checked out the Sharp spec & it should accept PAL prog scan as well as NTSC so I’m now wondering if it’s a problem with the Denon or Sharp. Will contact both and let you know.
    Just noticed that the specs on the Sharp don’t mention that the DVI is HDCP. But I assume if it wasn’t I wouldn’t get any picture whatsoever.

David

10. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Alright Bobfan how's it going. Sorry but I don't know what else to suggest. You have turned the digital output off as well havent you? Component will only work with this off. To answer your question, yes my HDMI will output 1080i to my projector no probs but I think it looks slightly better in 720p. My projectors native resolution is 720 so if I give it 1080 the projector then has to scale it down to 720 so there's not much point in that. Going digital has really seemed to sort out any problems I had before. Touch wood. :)

11. BOBFAN

BOBFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Buffyfan, sorry for my late reply, been away from the PC for a couple of days. Well I still have problems!
    With component I can’t get a picture with the prog scan turned on in either NTSC or PAL, I can only get an interlaced image. As I only bought the projector a few months ago I’m really disappointed if it doesn’t support prog scan. In fact if I had realised I probably wouldn’t had bought it.
    With the HMDI>DVI I can’t get a picture in either 720 or 1080, only 576. But as the Sharps native resolution is 576 would I see much improvement anyway? But as both DVD player & projector support it I would have liked to have tried! By the way am I missing something here but with the digital input the projector identifies the signal as 576P so why can’t I get a 576P with the component leads? With the posts I’ve read on DVI/HMDI I would have really liked to compare the image.
    By the way does any one know if a projector doesn’t support HDCP do you get any image at all, just wondered if this was the problem as I’ve checked the spec & it doesn’t mention it.
    One final question I sometimes get “snow” from the digital image. I can usually cue this by stopping the disc &turning off the digital input, any ideas on what this is?
    I have emailed Sharp, Denon & Supra on this but have only had a reply from Sharp who have given me a number to ring, I will let you know how I get on this week.
    Once again thanks to everyone who’s replied to my posts.

David

12. ricas

ricas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

I've bought an AE700, and have an 15m supra HDMI cable and a denon 3910.

This is my second atempt with an AE700. In the first one (in september-octobre 2004) i turn it back because of the 'white flash' issue (solved with the new firmware), and now I have a synchro problem (every 4 seconds).

The first time and with the same cable and dvd player (and an ae700 PJ with the old firmware) this problem didn't occur at all.

What can I do ?

13. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    check you firmware on the players and see if it is the latest. I am sure you will find in other theads in the section how to check it.