1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2910 Blocking.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by John-D, Dec 25, 2004.

1. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

Any ideas why my 2910 shows a small amount of blocking? It only happens on the component output. RGB scart is fine, but if i can't use the component output, i can't use my prog-scan (NTSC).

My component leads are new and not damaged at all. The company that sold me the player, did forward my email to Denon. They gave me the usual rubbish!

Got any ideas?

Cheers
    John

Ps. Not tried HDMI or DVI coz ive not got a plasma or LCD tv yet. Though i could try it through my TFT monitor.

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    What your more than likly seeing is the dreaded macroblocking, it can be tweaked out a little with calibration but the 1910 and the 2910 suffer MB quite bad so its bad luck realy.
    Some displays such as plasma will make it look worse as well. not much can realy be done

with the 3910 MB is not present with 720p via HDMI(and i think thats the same with DVI) so it is possible the 2910 will be the same with its digital connection

3. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its right pain in the rump!

It looks the same as when the Digi-TV goes up the fritz, coz of weak signal.

But why this doesn't happen on RGB, beats me. Might plug the player in to TFT LCD monitor to try the DVI connection, see if it happens on that.

Cheers.

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Unless your moitor is HDCP compliant your DVD player wont work through it.

Most new plasmas and LCD TVs that have HDMI or DVI are HDCP, so all the players work. However most LCD monitors are not HDCP so I doubt it will work!

Just wanted to let you know before you come runing back asking why!

5. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    Running the 2910 via Component & DVI to a HS10 - no MB for the models down here.

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    The fact that RGB scart output is fine but component output has blocking makes its sound like the faroudja de-interlacing/progressive chip is playing up or theres some sort of signal or timing mismatch. Definitely sounds like something that needs to be addressed in a new firmware. You can buy the cheapest of the cheap dvd players with pal/ntsc progressive and no blocking and a pretty good picture too. If you pay good money for Denon you should expect at least that plus cleaner and crisper visuals and of course superior audio. As it stands the Denon player is performing to a standard below that of a £25 cheapie visually.

7. miker

miker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    John, I once had that problem with a 3910 and a 2910. It seems the problem I tracked down to the settings I had been messing with. I can't be sure whether it was the enhanced black, the extra sharpening or the gamma changes. But it was one of them and the MB has all gone since putting the settings back.

Mike

8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Unwarranted tweaking can do that, sure...
    But don't let that keep you from changing the default!
    My 3910+Panny looked so much more alive and sharp after I played around a bit, like setting blackness to IRE 0 instead of 7.5...
    Good Luck

9. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. Sorry the comeback is late. Been busy!

Yeah, i've been playing about with it, and i did reset everything back to its original settings. But, this has all started after i reset everything. I still cant work out why its only on a few disc's, that play ok in the RGB scart mode, but crack up in component output, and are not always in the same place.

Could it just be dodgy disc mastering? Disc's that crack up are, LotR -The Two Towers and Return of the King EE R2 (i know, EV..lol), but also a few NTSC chappies, too.

I mean, well mastered disc's like Star Wars box set R1 are fine, with no trouble whatsoever. Most disc's are fine, but im just stumped why these few that break up, are fine in RGB and not component.

I'm at a loss! :confused:

John

Ps. I didnt try the TFT monitor, its not DVI happy! :thumbsdow lol.

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Mb would only effect a few discs, thats whats strange about it. Basicly it will exagerate any disc encoding errors. It will show up as a smudge of little blocks that seem to shimmer or dance only in certain parts of the pic, like backgrounds. As said it will look just like a badly encoded disc, turn off progressive scan and see if they disappear or tame to almost not being visible. only prog scan is effected by MB. as RGB is not progressive this would explain why the artifacts seem to be absent.

11. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only problem is. Is that its happened on R2 disc's and for them i can't use the prog-scan, as my TV doesn't do PAL prog-scan.

Could my leads be dodgy?

They are THOR component leads, from Maplins.

BTW. 'Planet of the Apes' did it tonight, just once, but thats another one...lol.

12. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    well if its not in prog scan mode then its not MB, could be the cables but i havent known cables to produce an MB kind of effect.
    Beats me unless your tv has a prog scan mode ar an ehancement like pixel plus which could be adding the artifacts?

13. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i'll give it go with my Xbox component leads. See if that works ok.

If not, i'm gonna ask for a tech bod to look at it, or failing that, get a new player.

Will keep you posted.

14. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i have tried the Xbox component leads and i watched The Two Towers. Well there was no break up to be seen anywhere. Am going to try all the other disc's that broke up over the weekend, so shall post back with an update.

Btw, Gandley. I have all picture enhancements turned off. Just use 100Hz Active on my Tosh 36ZT29 set for PAL and let the DVD player output the prog-scan to the TV for NTSC.

John

15. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    you have probaly done it but have you tried turning off 100HZ active and using a different setting when using component and pal material. Does this make any diff to those blocky scenes

16. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could try the others, but u cant turn off the 100Hz...weird i know. Can only turn it off by using the TV's own prog-scan, but then there is flicker.