Denon 2910 and SACDs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Marcon, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Marcon

Marcon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is my first post .... so please don't be too hard on me. I have searched the forum but can't find a post on this specific issue.

I have owned a Denon 2910 for a couple of months or so and been very pleased with it. PQ off DVDs is great (to my Panasonic 28PS1) and music either via CD or DVD-Audio similarly good.

Yesterday I played a SACD for the first time - a Christmas present for my wife, her faviourite piece of classical music. The disc doesn't play properly.

The disc is a hybrid SACD containing a normal CD layer together with a separate SACD layer. This disc plays OK on all my ordinary CD players. If the 2910 is set to recognise only the CD layer it plays OK. If you set it to recognise the SACD Stereo track it plays this OK to start with, then after 2-3 mins starts to jump and skip. However, when set to recognise the multi channel SACD track you get nothing at all. It says there are no tracks available and doesn't play anything. One other point, when the disc is initially loaded, it takes about a minute for the player to recognise it - whichever track/layer you specify. DVDs and DVD-Audio discs load in a few seconds.

Clearly my 2910 has a problem both recognising and playing the SACD layer.

I may have a dodgy SACD - but this is my only disc and Boxing Day is not the best day to go out and buy another one.

The player may be faultly - or I may need a firmware upgrade. I bought the player from a small independent hi-fi dealer, so getting the firmware updated if a new version is available won't be a problem.

Therefore some questions others may be able to help me with until the shops open:-

- has anyone seen this problem before, either with a 2910, any other Denon player, or any other make?
    - do others have problems with hybrid SACDs in general?
    - is it normal for a player to take nearly a minute to "load" a disc?
    - can anyone suggest something to try in the meantime?

Thanks in anticipation of your replies.

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Its probably not a hardware problem with the DVD player.

Its to do with the conection you are using. Since you watch DVD's im guessing that you have a digital amp and are using a digital cable like Optical or Coaxial for 5.1 sound?

Likewise, when you listen to your CD's or DVD-Audios's you also use the same conection?

Well for true DVD-A and SACD you need to use the 6 analog channels that are at the back of your DVD player.

SACD is made by sony and they dont allow it to be played through a digital cable for fear of copy right infringement.

It only works with ananlog cables. Just look round back of the DVD player and youl see the 6 analog phono jacks. (2 main, 2 surround, 1 sub, and 1 centre)

If you buy 5 or 6 phonos and conect those to your amp (assuming it has these inputs, only newish amps do)
    it will work just fine. DVD-A's will also sound better through the analogues. That is what DVD-A was originaly designed for. Just that most people dont know so they decided to make it possible for DVD-A's to be playable through any cable and on any DVD player.
    SACD's are not.

3. Marcon

Marcon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AML - thanks for your reply.

The problem is not with the connections - I have the 6 channel output of the DVD connected to the 6 channel input of my AV amp (a Yamaha). In fact music in all formats (CD/DVD-Audio/music DVDs) sounds better if played via the 6 channel input (better D to A converters in the 2910 than in the amp I suppose).

As I said in my original post, the SACD Stereo track DOES play - it just starts to skip and jump after 2-3 mins. This proves that I am getting something out of the 6 channel outputs from the SACD layer of a SACD. The CD layer that works perfectly was also via the 6 channel outputs.

The problem definitely lies with how the player is reading the SACD layer on the disc, i.e faulty disc or faulty player.

And there are still two days untill the shops open.

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Hmm. Dont what to say! It sounds like you have the cableing and all else down. It could be a fault with the player if its not playing SACD's properly. You should try other SACDs first before trying to swap the player.

There have been other threads concerning SACD playback problems in the DVD section of this forum. Have a look arround and you might find a solution to the problem in there.

Other than that try calling the shop that sold it to you the dvd player and ask if you can exchange it if its not working!