1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2910,3910 or Pio 668,868 ?! Check it out!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Niksa, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Niksa

Niksa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: Hi!

My "configuration" is: Pioneer PDP HDE 505, Denon 2805, JMLab Electra905 and I am in doubt about which DVD/SACD/DVD-A player to choose ...

Regarding to my HDMI ready Pio 505HDE it shoul have HDMI so I would like to hear your suggestions - which one to choose between:

Denon 2910
    Denon 3910
    Pioneer DV668
    Pioneer DV 868

Is it worth to spend few bucks more and buy 3910/868 or 2910/668 will work just fine according to my mentioned gear?

Thanks a lot for you suggestions
    Niksa :hiya:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi :hiya:

Can't speak about the Denons, but as far as I can see the 868 is only of interest if you plan on using the scaler via HDMI (or plan feeding interlaced via HDMI to a scaler), if you're using component then I don't believe the 868 has anything over the 668.

3. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Go for the Pioneer 868.

Excellent picture quality and sound throught the pioneer display.

I have not regretted buying mine.

4. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Hi.
    I also have the 868 and it's brilliant. Don't know what kind of amp you have but if it supports iLink then the 868 is the way to go. :thumbsup:

5. ScottG

ScottG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose the answer lies in whether you want total manufacturer synergie through the DVD / Plasma, or DVD / Amp pairing?

Personally I'd plump for 3910DVD and use the Denon Link for Audio, you still have the hdmi to the plasma link. :smashin:

6. Niksa

Niksa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes:

Huhh ... my amp is Denon 2805, so I am not sure about I-Link (I think that Denon 3805 have I-Link, not sure about mine 2805).

Do you really think that brand-component-synergy can influence quality of sound & picture?

I mean - digital is digital, right?
    So, Pio's HDMI is the same as Denon's HDMI therefore maybe I should concentrate to sound quality ?

Any suggestion ???

Niksa

7. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    You may want to test directly each machine yourself. However for me at least, having seen them all, the 868 provides the best picture through HDMI than all the rest.

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Well i would disagree with that costas, but they are so close either would do, but the 3910 delivers a more solid picture without a doubt, and i have seen both fired from identical (calibrated) PJs on 2 side by side screens(with HDMI).
    Then you can see some of the jaggies flashing that you dont see on the Denon(more than likly due to the DCDI doing a better job.).

Sound wise if you use i-link both again will provide near identical sound as your amps DACs will be doing all the work.
    In fact with any digital connection these 2 dvd players sound very similar

HDMI can be further assisted with better power supplys, better scaling quality, better deinterlacing. even just better implementation will help the picture quality. So in this case digital isnt just digital, as that digital signal is still getting processed a fair bit befroe it lands on your display)

If you test the 868i just make sure its in Auto 2 mode as this will provide better deinterlacing(or more accurate if you like) and thus will be a fair test

9. goatlips

goatlips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah thats all well and good if you can get your Denon to play the disc in the first place! :devil:

Buy the 868 much better player! :smashin:

10. Niksa

Niksa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK GUYS,

Now I am in even bigger doubt about my purchase (2910,3910,668 or 868) than before, because every follow-up post have a different toughts about those players ...

So, should I go for 2910,3910,668 or 868

MY gear is: Pio HDE 505, Denon 2805, Electra 905 JmLab,

regards
    Niksa

11. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Also the pio has an awful layer change, not the best. 3910 played every disc i put init (when i owned it).
    I have owned the pio 868i, Denon A11/3910, tosh 9500e(still got it) tosh 900e, Pio 747i, pio 737, etc etc. all have there own problems. but if your looking for the best pic and you plan to use HDMI then the 3910 or arcam 79/29 would be my choice right now. If you plan to add an external scaler/deinterlacer at a later date then get the pio 868 or arcam79( these will pass an interlaced signal via HDMI) as this will eliminate all issues bar the layerchange.(in fact if you could use i-link then the 868i would just become a digital transport).

its a tough choice as there is no clear winner in this group. they all have there pros and cons. owner sentiment does usualy get in the way of people making an unbiased appraisel of there kit so my wholehearted recomendation would be to demo each of these units. Its the only way to be sure as you have your own taste.

But in your list i would go for either the 3910 or 868.

12. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Pio was OK until I added the 3910- pic was MUCH better, very sharp (after some fiddling), cd sound slightly better but still not good enough for me, which is why I still use my Arcam CD82t and have a few Shanlings (you know the sexy ones) on order from HK, they're very cheap now!
    Surround about the same Q for both, 5.1 analog too.
    Do NOT use the umsampling sound of the 868avi, mock details but the sound is AWFUL.
    Neither 868 nor 3910 will work with Panny dvi in PAL, but my probs are gone since I got the Iscan HD+ scaler.

13. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Barend how you finding the HD+, i been offered one cheap but im not sure if i should pull the trigger or not

14. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Had some reservations as to what improvement a scaler could I'm now very happy with the thing- the picture improvement is substantial- in yuv AND in dvi/hdmi, which (btw) works fine into 576p PAL from ALL inputs.
    Can scale dvi now (which is very handy), and in the next firmware they're adding 10 or so preset scalings, so with a button press you can for instance select
    BBC (long heads issue)
    Letterboxing
    Ugly top logo's with animation
    Ticker tape bottoms with stock exchange updates (yuck!)
    And I feel there are so many tweakings available you can always find a solution for a problem...
    Only wish they restricted the LED current a bit, more like a lighthouse now...ah well I'll solder in some resistor when I'm really fed up with it...

Had the unit thru Ebay from a German company for under 1000 Euro's net, but there are 2 American sellers that are willing to ship abroad AND inckude a free SDI board for total 1499 USD.
    Did not need sdi so I went for the German.
    The thing is 115/230V so no problem there, and is really well built, looks much nicer than the Lumagen (I think so...), weighs much more than you would expect (good metal case).

15. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You could always save some bucks and get the Samsung HD945 (which has HDMI, and scaler) for just £175, then get a blue ray player when they come out. With such a great set-up like yours, you just know you're gonna want that blue ray when it comes out, and it's a shame to make an 868 or similar redundant. That's what i've done, anyway!

16. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Sounds good, ive seen the HD+ in action with SDI, but dont know easy they are to set up, or if everything works as it should etc. but seems alright then?

17. chrislewis

chrislewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    3910 my friend you wont regret it.