Denon 2900 worth it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TopMeTom, Jan 22, 2005.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    With all the problems people have with Denon's,would you reckon a denon 2900 is worth considering over Arcam players?

I really don't want to pay ovey 400 quid to have a player with problems. :eek:

I really need some help...... :(

2. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Your going to get replies from both sides here.

I've owned a Denon 2900 for nearly a year and a half (I think), and I absolutely love the player.

I haven't had a problem with any discs not playing, the picture it produces is stunning, sound is also top notch especially with DVD-A and SACDs, The lack of layer change is a big plus point in my book, and I think it is also a damn fine looking piece of equipment.

But some people around here have had issues . . . . . . . .

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,490
    Had it for about six months now, gold, multi region version. No problems at all. Played everything I have thrown at it and giving me superb quality through my projector.

If I didn't already have one and I could get it now for the cheap prices it's going for I would definitely get it.

Just remember, of the hundreds/thousands (???) of these units that they sell you only ever hear about the bad things. There must be a huge number of people happy with theirs that don't talk about it.

4. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    philb,

I have had a fair share of problems with Denon 2900's which really has done my nut at times. If you need just do a search. The problems in a nut shell were lazer pickup assembly and firmware based.

The current firmware I have now seems fine and I am quite comfortable with the unit as it is now and I do not seem to be having any problems now that the unit has been fixed by Denon.

I paid over £600 for mine at the time which was more than I could afford so when I had the problems I was more than just a bit miffed/upset.

I can not advise as to you should go the Arcam route or not as I have never had an Arcam. The reason I chose the Denon was firstly because it did away with the layer change (a bugbear of mine) and because it would match the Denon 3802 I had. I have been and still am a fan of Pioneer which at the time of purchase I was considering the 757i. Only reason I did not go down this route to be honest was that it was not available in black, that and the layer change buffer thing.

Now that the unit I have is working as it should I am happy with the overall performace pic + sound quality. Just wish it had been £450 when I had bought it, could have upgraded sub at same time then. :rolleyes:

Voted 'No' in the poll, hope I don't have to change that later.

I am not going to be buying another player now until the High Def units start rolling out. And unless I have any problems I will probably keeping the 2900.

eatstatic.

5. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    eatstatic, please can you let me know which version of the 2900 firmware you are on now, now that you say you are happy with it. Do you know if this is the latest version?

Many thanks

6. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    toby,

As far as I am aware the firmare up until the newyear at least was the latest available and I am not aware of a newer version but then again I have not looked for one either.

Firmware/Drive:-

DRV 030227
    B/E 6237W
    PANEL 0043-F

Hope this helps.

eatstatic.

7. ritesh

ritesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I envy you guys, who are not having any disk reading problems with your 2900.

May be the leftover 2900s are all crap or something, but I have tried to buy a 2900 and have gone through 6 of them; and they all had trouble reading something or the other (not consistent though, if a disk played fine on one, it had trouble on another etc.). And some disks also caused it to pixellate or produce a jigsaw type image (there is also a similar thread over at the AVS). And finally some disks caused it to do a lot of skipping and also produce this really bad sounding whirring sounds....

AND this is not just with 1 but multiple 2900s as I experienced....

Sorry but for questions like "any problems with 2900s" my vote is 6 x a loud "yes" !

Ritesh