1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2900 vs Pioneer 757AI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ROSSCO, Oct 7, 2003.

1. ROSSCO

ROSSCO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought the Denon 2800MKII from Sevenoaks, and I have today been back with them on Lipsync issues through DVD playback on PAL Progressive Scan. :( (The 2800MKII was modified by them to be Multi Region etc)

After speaking to Denon, they say it is a common fault with the processing of the image on this player, whereby they can do nothing about it.

After several hums and haws, they have offered to take the player back and give me a deal on the Denon 2900 or the Pioneer 757AI. I am running R2 discs only through the Sharp XV Z90 projector, so PAL Progressive is a must for me.

Which one could anyone recomend? The Denon or the Pioneer??
    :confused:

Basically the idea of a great picture and the same on CD playback with the added DVD Audio/SACD playback sounds tempting!!!!
    Cheers
    Rossco

2. GP-TT

GP-TT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rossco,

The 2900 without multiregion modifications is a very good machine and has received very good reviews. At the end of the day, it'll be best if you can get the chance to review both machines and decide for yourself.

You don't mention your amp, but certainly a 2900/3803 combination is an excellent one as long as you don't try any of the firmware fixes for multiregion on the 2900. On the other hand the 757Ai is an equally impressive all-in one machine, problem free with very good PQ and SQ. This is particularly true if you partner it with something like the AX5i.

I considered these two DVDs fro my system as well. I went for the Pioneer, but in my situation, multiregion was a must since I have DVDs other than R2.

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I have the Denon 2900 teamed up with the Denon 3803 and am very pleased with it :D

I only have R2 discs so have not tried the multi-region firmware upgrades.

The picture quality on both my Sony 30" LCD TV and my Sony HS10 PJ are outstanding.

I also have a pretty well spec'd and configured HTPC and the 2900 is not far off in PQ and is way ahead in terms of user-friendlyness.

I have not yet tried any SACD or DVD-A stuff but CD's sound good to my ears but I must admit to not being an audiophile.

Only small gripe I have is that it does not remeber where you have got to in a film if you stop halfway through. And another small oversight is that if you power off the unit with the DVD drawer open it does not close it before powering off.

Apart from that I am well pleased.

Cheers, Lee

4. ROSSCO

ROSSCO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep! I am pretty convinced to try out both before I buy! Going by what is being said, it looks like its better not to get the 2900 modified in any way.

Currently:
    Amp: Sherwood RD6106 (Basic Entry Level a couple of years ago, but it works well!)
    Projector: Sharp XV Z90E
    B&W VM1's x 5
    REL Quake Sub
    Denon 2900 or Pioneer 757Ai

Thanks for your input.

Rossco

5. ROSSCO

ROSSCO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention, if anyone else agrees/disagrees about modifying the 2900 please feel free to add this...

6. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For my system i am going to wait for the new pioneer 868.It looks great

7. ff2001

ff2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any chance you can expand on the multi region problems? or point to a link. I've tried searching and can only find references to problems, rather than the problems themselves.

cheers

Lee

8. ROSSCO

ROSSCO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have specific links, but if you search on "Denon 2900" I'm sure you will get the idea of everyones issues with the player.

Going on what everyone is saying, if R1 is not important, it looks like that the player would be better off untouched by any firmware upgrades!

The main issues I was having with the 2800 mkII was lipsync problems on both R1 & R2 pal progressive output with projectors. There is a delay approx 90ms in processing the picture to the sound. I am not prepared to upgrade my amp due to a fault lying with the denon 2800 mkII, as my amp cannot correct the delay!

The 2900 seems to work very well! (On what I have tested that is)

Rossco

9. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,

in another thread I was also advised to leave the 2900 unmodified... what is the difference between the modifying the 2900 to be MR and modifying the 757ai to be MR? Is it just that the firmware available for the denon is poor, but good for the pioneer? Or does the pioneer use a different modification?

Does anyone know how the DV88+ reacts to being made MR?

Cheers, Gav

10. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had a MR 2900 turn up today and will be testing it over the next couple of days, but from what i have seen today its a big improvement over the 2800 mk2.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Where would decent deals be found on the net for un-modded machines? Admittedly I've not done too much research, but it seems most of the sellers I've found so far doing 'cheap' products all insist on selling MR-modded boxes.

If one wanted a straight R2 PAL-prog. beastie like the two being discussed here, where should one look?

12. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I took delivery of a multi region 2900 last week and so far it seems to be working ok. Is there any particular problems I should be looking out for?

13. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I finally took delivery of my denon 2900 Multi region and boy was i pleased, built like a tank and the gold is gorgeous. I am patnering it with a denon 3801 and out of the box, the picture is so much better than my old sony dvp s7700, although i must admit the sony sounds better with cd's.

I will test it over the next few days and will reports any problems to this forum,however my dealer gave me his reassurance.

Now i just need to get myself a pal progressive plasma tv.

14. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my MR 2900 for about 3 months now. Not a single problem. I think earlier versions of the MR firmware disabled Prog scan. You needed to hack prog scan back into life. This is now fixed.

I compared 2900 and 757Ai. Personal opinion was 2900 picture was a tad better. Sound quality from CD, SACD, DVDA was a whole lot better on the 2900.

Also I thought the Denon was a more solid construction than the pioneer.

Read the secrets report for Prog scan comparrison 2900 wins, with a few issues.

2900 was a few quid more but money well spent.

It is connected to a Denon A11 amp.

Rog

15. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    GavinH

The DV88+ is MR enabled with a simple code - no extra chips/mods required.. and then works with any region in RCE without doing anything else.

Matt

16. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The problems which I've read about on here which prompted me to ask about non-modded players are (a) the loss of PAL prog which Rog mentions (I'm not into hacking a £700 player :eek: ) and (b) several reports of freezing playing some DVDs after being modded.

17. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    KRaGorn,
    My dealer is happy to supply me with a modded player and promises no problems.

I raised the problems that I have read about on avforums and he was aware of them, but not had the problems - even when looking for them. We ran a test on his display 2900 that was modded and Pal progressive was fine.

Must admit that I would not buy a modded one online in case I have problems, but I do have faith in my dealer.
    Dak

18. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've had a 757ai for a month now - MR; PAL PS out of the box and I am really happy with it using with a 4-series Panasonic.
    Picture and sound both excellent - best to look at the dvd-a/SACD playback as a bonus - I only own 1 of each format anyway; can't see that changing anytime soon.
    Plays everything I've thrown at it.

19. MartinN

MartinN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Nike (and anybody else)...

I've also got a series 4 panny. I've currently got a Sony 725 and thinking of upgrading to either a 757 or 2900.

Does the Pal PS make much difference? - The plasma is already de-interlacing (from what I understand)

Cheers

20. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It hurts to pay high-street prices. ;) OTOH, that may be the best solution if I decide on the Denon.

21. ff2001

ff2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 5 series WD panny & 2900 MR, and could not notice the difference between PAL prog and interlaced nor on NTSC. I believe that higher res screens will show the difference.

I will dig out my old 725 next week to compare the two

Lee

22. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a 757ai, paired with a Denon 3803 receiver. I've been very happy with the quality of the Pioneer player for movies, though have found audio playback to be a little disappointing (particularly in 2 channel) compared to my Nakamichi cd player.

This isn't actually a problem for me - I bought the Pioneer purely for DVD video and always intended to use the Nak for music.

I must confess I haven't really ventured into SACD or DVD-A territory yet. When I do I may be more convinced of the Pioneer's audio capabilities.

23. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, my dealer is now not reccomending multiregionning the 2900:(

I am all at sea now as apart from this the Denon is what I decided on and does all I want....except multi-region. I wonder if a hack will come along that doesn't mess about with the rest of the player. :blush:

24. mickatmian

mickatmian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I also bought the Denon 2800MKII + Sharp XV Z90 projector from Sevenoaks (in April) it all worked fine until I had the multi region pal progresive mod. by Sevenoaks. After various firmware upgrades (each one curing the present problem but creating another) Sevenoaks agreed to exchange + a bit of my cash for a unmoded 2900.

I have put about 12 films through without a single problem and imo and more importantly the wife's, the picture is far better than was the 2800, much less background fiz and brighter colours.

I should also add that in total I paid approximately the lowest internet price for the 2900 and the service from Sevenoaks has been nothing short of excellent throughout.

Hope this helps.

Mick

25. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not much to add, apart from I've had a 2900 since early August, with MR firmware done by Sevenoaks.

Very happy with it - no problems whatsoever playing and discs - picture great, sound good too (subjectively, CD sound not quite up with my Arcam DV88, but no big issue).

I've not tried PAL PS yet, but given all I've read about either revised firmware or the button hack I don't anticipate any problem.

Clive