Denon 2900 vs 1930

Tumbruk

Standard Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a middle range DVD player to connect via scart to my Loewe Aconda CRT tv.

Which will give me the best picture and sound, a new Denon 1930 (Peter Tyson £200/=) or a used 2900?

Or does somebody knows a better DVD player through a scart.

Any advice will be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.:confused:

I just bought the 1930 and I can recommend it highly....audio is much improved over my old tosh sd220 and I would suggest you do not use scart but component if your screen supports this connection....
cheers
Carl

No it does not do component, but the sky rgb picture through scart on the aconda is fantastic, so i would like stick to it for few more years

Definitely the 2900. The audio is meant to be one of the best from Denon. So expect it to beat the 2910, 3910, 2930, & 3930, and everything below it.

Picture wise I reckon it will beat the 1930, even more so via scart and component.

It is a much wiser move to buy a good 2nd hand player over a lesser new one IMO.

Thanks Timbo. I have read alot of praise for the 2900, so I am leaning towards it. Now only if I can find a good used 2900 within my budget.

Thanks Timbo. I have read alot of praise for the 2900, so I am leaning towards it. Now only if I can find a good used 2900 within my budget.

Have you tried the classifieds here? I'm sure I saw a couple recently :) .

Have you tried the classifieds here? I'm sure I saw a couple recently :) .

Yes i have, i saw 1 for sale by eatstatic in huddesfield but i would prefer to collect in london or within 30 miles, as i don't trust the couriers, Thanks anyway.

Seriously 2900. best dvd player for the money no question!

No fear with couriers, as long as it's insured!

Never seen a better picture on dvd than with my denon! Buy it!

I sold my 3910 as I was getting an HD-XA1, however I did not realise that a US HD-XA1 cannot play R2's.

I bought a 1930 from avland to play R2's, what a cheap and nasty player. The buildy quality is laughable, I think a baby could pick it up.

I bought another 3910 at the first oportunity. However my first player when getting into cinema was a 2900 and I must say it is an excellent player.

Definitely go with the 2900.

:smashin: Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely now go for the denon 2900 .:thumbsup:

I notice on fleabay guy selling one for £599!!!Madness!! No takers and I am not surprised!

I recently had a Marantz 7600 but sold it for a silver Denon 2900 I found on ebay.de. I haven't regretted my purchase at all. If you can find one, buy it!

I bought a 1930 from avland to play R2's, what a cheap and nasty player. The buildy quality is laughable, I think a baby could pick it up.
Im very surprised,and a little shocked at this comment.:eek:
I cannot confirm or deny what you have said,because i have not seen one first hand,but i am considering purchasing one,so i am very interested in anything said concerning it.
I have been reading peoples opinions of this player,and in general it appears to be highly regarded,apart from the lip-synch issues that some owners experience,but i have never heard anybody complaining about build quality.

I realise different people will have different views on things,but surely this would not be the majority consensus about this player?

I have been reading peoples opinions of this player,and in general it appears to be highly regarded,apart from the lip-synch issues that some owners experience,but i have never heard anybody complaining about build quality.

I realise different people will have different views on things,but surely this would not be the majority consensus about this player?

Everything has it's own level. And for those who are used to £100 DVD players it will give a fantastic picture. For those who have viewed £900 machines it will be plasticky junk. Therefore, buying a high quality 2nd hand player, that once retailed for £800 - £900, or whatever it was, for £250 is, no doubt IMO, the smart move ;) .

Everything has it's own level. And for those who are used to £100 DVD players it will give a fantastic picture. For those who have viewed £900 machines it will be plasticky junk. Therefore, buying a high quality 2nd hand player, that once retailed for £800 - £900, or whatever it was, for £250 is, no doubt IMO, the smart move ;) .

Hey Timbo sorry to pull you off a very good thread :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441194

Same sort of theme BTW.

Timbo,
I can understand where your coming from with your comments,and i would tend to agree with you to a certain extent...all apart from the "plasticky junk" comment in reference to a £200 player,because this seems like a rather snobbish attitude to have,although absolutely no offence to you is intended here. :)

In an ideal world we would all buy top of the line equipment,but the reality is that most of us cannot afford to,or cannot justify it even if we could.

I know a lot of people do buy second hand,but there are also a lot of people that prefer to buy new,for various reasons...and the latter includes me....for all apart from cars that is. ;)

I was just surprised at the original comment that was made about this player,so i decided to see if it was justified....but my personal feeling is that it was not.

I reckon im still going to go for a new 1930 though. :thumbsup:

Timbo,
I can understand where your coming from with your comments,and i would tend to agree with you to a certain extent...all apart from the "plasticky junk" comment in reference to a £200 player,because this seems like a rather snobbish attitude to have,although absolutely no offence to you is intended here. :)

In an ideal world we would all buy top of the line equipment,but the reality is that most of us cannot afford to,or cannot justify it even if we could.

I know a lot of people do buy second hand,but there are also a lot of people that prefer to buy new,for various reasons...and the latter includes me....for all apart from cars that is. ;)

I was just surprised at the original comment that was made about this player,so i decided to see if it was justified....but my personal feeling is that it was not.

Hey Ron, many of us buy excellent kit form the same reason you buys cars second hand, quite simply there is old kit about that blows away new kit, for the same price, you just have to research what you are planning to buy, and dude if it was me, I'd buy a £200 2900 100 times before getting a £200 1930. One reason being its audio abilities, the other would be the component PAL PS output are probably better than the digital HDMI outputs of the 1930. But nothing wrong with buying new old chap, even for piece of mind. :smashin: Timbo is as far from snobby as you'll get (not syaing that is your view of him) but its good for old hacks here to spread the word in threads like these about old players that are stunning at what they do, means newbies get a good step up the ladder straight off.

Timbo,

Okay, I'm probably being over the top with the 'plasticky junk', but you would notice the big difference in build quality between the two. I used to be a 'only buy new' person, and that is fine. But, if you get a good 2nd hand upmarket player, you're laughing. All my gear in my signature, apart from my speakers, which were new, and my projector (ex-demo), are all 2nd hand. I never would have been able to afford it new. And much of it is still under warranty.

I was thinking of getting a 2900. I was also looking at the 2910. What is better?

Thanks for your comments CJROSS and Timbo....i certainly do understand your viewpoint,and to be honest i do find myself leaning in that direction.:D

In keeping with the subject of this thread,if you look HERE then surely the price has got to rise quite considerably. Currently on £18 with 2 days to go.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
i am also looking at a 2nd hand 2910 over the new 1930
but now i've read this about the 2900....my dad wont be best pleased that he's just got a hdmi cable, but if you recon the 2900 over componant would be better than the 1930/2910 over hdmi then i'd be willing to go for that
i'm also considering the oppo DV-981HD, but it looks far too thin to be any good

Thanks for your comments CJROSS and Timbo....i certainly do understand your viewpoint,and to be honest i do find myself leaning in that direction.:D

In keeping with the subject of this thread,if you look HERE then surely the price has got to rise quite considerably. Currently on £18 with 2 days to go.

Invariably you get a flurry of last minute bidding, with the winner normally using a snipe. :)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I was thinking of getting a 2900. I was also looking at the 2910. What is better?

The 2900.

Most believe the 3910 was the 2900's replacement, not the 2910. The 2910 isn't as good audio wise, especially since the 3910 isn't as good as the 2900's. The 2900 has better deinterlacing than the 2910/3910, and doesn't suffer from the mackroblocking bug, which is evident in practically all faroudja DCDi based players.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom