1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2900 - The Chroma Bug LIVES ON!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Quilty, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Quilty

Quilty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it seems to anyway. Not on NTSC (whooooo there - don't all you Americans disappear just yet, there may be a chance you can help/advise) but on PAL progressive. It is basically a picture fault that looks just like the old chroma bug on NTSC.

I tested Attack of the Clones as I have that on both regions 1 and 2. Towards the beginning there is a section when Obi Wan is hanging onto one of the flying droid returning to the changling assasin. The red tail lights of the changling's ship highlights the problem well (I will do some photos when I get a sec, although there are some on the page of a reviewer with the same problem - http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/HardwareReviews/Denon2900/Denon2900.html).

Problem is that Denon UK have told me categorically that no such problem exists because "no one has ever said anything about it before". They blame it on my multi-region firmware (which, as I understand it, they themselves write and "secretly" distribute to their reps to be passed on to dealers). They wouldn't even send me a non multiregion firmware to install to try and fix the problem!

Can anyone offer me any further advice? What can I do? Moreover, does anyone have a non multiregion unit they can confirm that it does not have a problem on strong colours like reds in progressive scan mode (this error does not seem to exist on interlaced)?

Thanks,

Tony

2. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Quality

I Purchased a multi region 2900 on friday and am very happy with it so far. I havent got attack of the clones but if you name another film where you are seeing this problem I will have a test on my machine.

I know this is going kinda off topic but there is a couple of little things that bug me about the denon compared to my older players. First off there is no bit-rate meter, not a great loss i guess but would have been nice. Secondly why doesnt the dimmer stay in middle or lowest mode when switched off? Like i have to set it down to my favorite setting every time i switch on. And thirdly which does annoy me the most is that I can't turn off the machine with a disc in and resume from the same point later on?

Anyway apart from them little grumbles the pic quality is top notch and I'm a fairly happy chappy.

Regards

Rob

3. Quilty

Quilty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rob,

A friend tells me there is a problems on reds in Chicago, and also on the menus in Misery. I can find some more examples, but my PAL collection is more limited than my NTSC one! Do you have Gladiator on PAL by any chance?

Best,

Tony

4. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    sorry Tony I havent got any of the discs that you mentioned on PAL. Next time I have a PAL disc playing I will have a look out for the chroma bug.

Regards

Rob

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Does the dvd player display V (as opposed to G) on it's display when you watch that bit of AOTC? when I tried it, it kept switching between video mode deinterlacing and G (2:2 pull down) while watching films including AOTC, and I did notice the chroma problem you mentioned - that was what put me off the most. I compared the denon 2900 with a Sony 930 on my own plasma and although the Denon's deinterlacing works better at times I was happier with the Sony overall.

It may be a firmware issue. As the dealer didn't have it yet, I was using the one posted on this forum in an earlier thread. I had the player for a few hours before I returned it for a refund.

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I got told basically the same thing.......
    I had a diff prob to yours....my machine freezes on my R4 copy of Close Encouters.
    And it cannot seem to lock on to the format with pal disks....the little letters on the display keep jumping from G to V and back again, most of the way through films....its not a major prob to me, as i do not use the progressive.
    But it is annoying because i know it is there.......so it will be going back....which is a shame, as the pic quality was brill and the fact that it gets rid of layer changes was a god send.....

Denon just put the prob down to oil on the disk i sent with the machine and would not mess around to much with it, as it had been multi regioned....they tested it for a whole .5 of an hour.
    So i take it that all my pal disks must have oil on them and all my NTSC disks are clean.