Denon 2900 stripping dialogue via scart

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Karma, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've taken the plunge and bought the Denon 2900. Primarily to dip my toe into the SACD / DVD A murky waters.

I'm also upgrading my system at the moment, so the only audio from the Denon I can listen to at present is via scart into the tv.

Strangest thing, on any disc the music is there, and any extreme left / right information but the dialogue is missing.

That's right, non existant, stripped out, as if the centre chanel has not been recorded.

This shouldn't happen via the scart feed surely which I would have thought only gets stereo. Any Denon users had had any experience?

As usual the manual is written in gobbleygook so is of no use.

If this is normal then the dealer will find himself with not only a returned amp (it hums) but the Denon too and I'll go back to my trusty Pioneer 717.

Any help, much appreciated.

Karma.

PS Any good excuses to put off the crowd who are coming round tomorrow to marvel at the (now non existant) system?

K

2. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi

If you go into the sound options on the setup menu you will find an option to put the player into 2 channel and all should be ok. I had this problem when i first got my machine a week ago.

Hope this helps

Rob

3. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Rob

Thanks fot that. I did play with that setting earlier. However it will mean that I have to go into the menus all the time when I want to either play the Denon thru the tv, or Dolby Digital thru the surround.

Although lazy, I don't expect to have to change the system set up if I just want to watch a film without the surround on.

My old Pioneer output stereo via scart and dolby digital via it's output.

Got to say a player of this price should do this automatically.

Ironically, bought a friend one of those £50 players from Sainsburys'. So far, he seems to have got the better player.

4. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well karma there are a few things that annoy me too about this player too. Have you noticed that you cant put the machine in standby mode and resume the film later? No bit-rate meter or how about the dimmer that goes bright again after switching off then on. Apart from these little complaints I love the machine, picture quality is superb especially through prog scan.