Denon 2900 sound drop out

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by StuJe, Sep 5, 2005.

1. StuJe

StuJe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I am covering old ground here, but after months of deliberating and searching I managed to get a new Denon 2900 (multiregion), last one in the shop, watched Bad Boys 2 Superbit (R2 DTS), and every 20 minutes or so the sound would drop out for half a second , very annoying, i've checked a few other discs, it has not happened since.
    Is this a common problem with the 2900, i really don't want to send it back, the picture and sound are stunning, but I would hate it if this problem kept appearing, has anyone had similar problems? :lease:

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I get this on quite a few R2 DTS discs on my Denon 2200 since I bought it last October. Mine was one of the last one's as well.

Mine was MR from new, which I didn't really want, as I've read that there is a problem with the MR firmware and DTS drop outs.

I've had a couple of picture drop outs as well, but the DTS drop outs are the worst.

Shame really, as I haven't seen 1 layer change.

I think my firmware is 6500J and if I put my serial number in the US site, it says there is an update for my player to 6500N. I'm going to try and get this from my Denon dealer. Failing that, I can order it, R2 only.

3. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have had the same problems on DD and DTS since I got my MR 2200 last year. No picture drop-outs, but regular sound drop-outs. Annoys the hell out of me and the player is about to get replaced.

The lack of layer change is excellent, but not at the cost of drop-outs! AFAIK, from talking with other Denon owners and an ex-Denon employee, this is a common affliction with all their DVD players and none of the firmware upgrades has fixed the problem.

4. StuJe

StuJe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies,
    are the drop outs regular, I have played about 5 more DTS discs without a hitch, I was hoping maybe it was a bedding in problem, I saw one thread that suggested an optical sound connection instead of coaxial to solve the problem, anyone tried this?

5. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Out of about 20 discs, 2 R2 discs have had DTS sound drop outs, Virus R1 had lots, picture drop outs on 2 different dics and one that paused at the begining of the film on the selection of the DTS track, it was Alien v Predator.

:confused:

I'm thinking about getting the Pioneer 575/585, what do you think of it?

6. StuJe

StuJe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't seen the pioneers in action, just changed from a Yamaha S550,great picture and sound on my 32 PK1 Panny, but bought a 42 Toshiba RP and showed the Yammy up very slightly, didn't handle the blacks that well, although the layer change is barely noticeable, not Denon standard, but it does play everything you can throw at it, no drop outs at all.
    I couldn't look beyond the Denons, the (non) layer change and picture quality are hard to resist, if I do end up changing the Denon though I reckon i'll look at Pioneer myself, they seem to get good write ups.
    Try cleaning the lense, and using an optical connection rather than the coax,if all else fails a large sledgehammer might do the trick. :devil:

7. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The only DTS disk I had a problem with on my 2900 was Alien and I updated the bios to cure that. I have played loads of DTS disk's both region 1 and 2 with no problems at all. Maybe a return to seller is in order!

8. IVOLIC

IVOLIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The only time I get sound drop outs is watching DVD's with seamless branching and DTS tracks!!! :mad:
    I watched Blade Trinity the other night and I had to switch it to DD as I could not stand the drop outs.
    I guess this is the only downside to having this player. ;) :cool:

:hiya:

9. IVOLIC

IVOLIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    How did you update your BIOS????

10. StuJe

StuJe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the drop outs always on the same disc every time you play it, I had thes on Bad Boys 2 Superbit in DTS, although when I played it for a second time all was fine, I haven't had a problem since, should I expect more drop outs?

11. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    On my 2200, the drop outs vary and to date have not been repeatable. Just seems to drop out for a second or so when it feels like it. I had the bios updated after I first got the player because of the Alien DVD problem, but it never did fix it for everything. You just never know when a drop out is going to occur and when it does, it spoils the movie for me. I plan to give up on the Denon and get a more reliable player (my old Sony 725 never suffered this problem in the 3+ years I had it).

12. StuJe

StuJe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone using an optical conection and still getting the drop outs?

13. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've had that happen twice, but they still happen.

14. StuJe

StuJe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had another drop out, on DD not DTS, strange thing is the timing was the same as the previous drop outs on a different disc, approx. 18 minutes in, then every 18 miinutes, this must mean something, am I being stupid or could it be dirty discs, the two i've had drop out were sightly dirty when I checked them.

15. kev00

kev00
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my MR 2900 since earlier in the year, and it's never had a sound drop out once. Most of my discs are dts and i'm using the co-axial out and never had a problem.
    Infact, i've not had a single problem with it once since buying it new (watch, it'll blow up or something now)
    Maybe i'm the lucky one?????

16. StuJe

StuJe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wanna swap? Do you keep your discs clean? I'm grasping at straws here.

17. kev00

kev00
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol.... the majority of my discs are minters (pet hate of mine, dirty discs) so that may be a factor, but I just spun a dts disc that was scratched and dirty (fingerprints, etc) and that worked fine too with no drop-outs.

Maybe there was a faulty batch of players, or there is something to do with the firmware (how do you find what firmware you have on the 2900 anyway???? that may be a factor)

I'm still un-decided if i'm gonna keep my 2900 as I would like to utilise the dvi socket on my lcd (and possibly go for a 3910), but after reading other peoples comments it looks like the 2900 is still one of the best analogue players out there period.

18. StuJe

StuJe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Kev,
    Don't know how to check the firmware as yet, as you said the 2900 does seem to be one of the best players about, which is why I don't want to get a refund unless i have to.
    Reckon if you have a good 2900 keep it.

19. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    StuJe,

Have been using 2900 for a while now connected to a 3802 with coaxial and at present have no issues
    and have not had any for some time now. How old is your player?

To see the firmware:-

Turn off the 2900 (using the power switch - not standby)
    Hold Down the Play and Open/Close buttons on the Deck
    Power on (power switch again)
    You should see the play and pause symbols in the display along with 'Loading'
    Now press menu on the remote control to cycle through the firmware settings.

As to what the latest firmware is I am not sure.

My firmware is:-

DRV 030227
    B/E 6237W
    PANEL 0043-F

Mine was when sent in for repair :-

DRV 030827
    B/E 6237W
    PANEL 0043-F

If you do a search under 'eatstatic' is this section of the forum you will be able to find that
    I have a few problems with similar and worse issues with my 2900 which thankfully
    have all now been resolved. No more sound drop outs etc.
    Switching to a optical cable form coaxial and visa versa did not remedy sound dropouts.

In order to have the unit made fully functional though I had to return it to Denon who replaced the
    laser carriage assembly. But then again it was worth it to get the unit functioning properly.
    Although this should have been the case from the start.

eatstatic

20. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What region code is it?

21. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've had 3 2900's since they were realised.
    Took the first one back, because my disk's would not play and brought a 2200.....the disk's still would not play, so i brought an Arcam 89 and the disk's still would not play......
    Turned out to be a couple of disk's gone rotten, so i brought another 2900.
    This one had PQ probs from the start, got it changed and have had no prob's with my current one.
    I had no probs with the first 2900 apart from the 2 rotten disk's.
    PQ on my 43" plasma is just as good as the Arcam 89 and the SQ with CD's is the same as well.
    Brilliant player.....best i've had so far.

22. kev00

kev00
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally a R2 but it was MR'd when I bought it by the shop.

eatstatic, that don't work m8 :( just tried it and can't get it to work

kev

23. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Kev,

Take it ya mean checking the firmware?

Have a go with this, a little more comprehensive:-

Using the procedure you can find the following

1. Power the unit off.

2. While pressing together the "Play" and "Open/Close" buttons, press "Power".

3. In the display you will see the Play and Pause symbols.

4. Now, using the remote control, press the "Menu" button. With each press of the button,
    you will scroll thru the different versions of the the unit. First is the "DRV", followed
    by the "B/E" and finally the "Panel".

Using the front panel button, power the unit off to return to normal operation.

This should do the trick.

eatstatic.

24. kev00

kev00
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin:

25. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I use a coax connection to my 3805, no probs whatsoever. The firmware update was found from a link from a post on this forum. The instructions are on the link its just a matter of putting a disc in and turning the player off etc.

A little off topic but now I have some Tag poweramps I have noticed that some DVD's are of very poor quality when it comes to audio, especially non-DTS region 2's.

So it maybe wise to check the discs aswell as the hardware.

26. StuJe

StuJe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eatstatic,
    cheers for this, i will try checking firmware later,i bought the player one week ago, last one in the shop in Cork, i assume you reckon it is worth sending my 2900 back to denon for repair, but was yours mr, mine is, i hear they try to use this as an excuse not to repair them.

27. kev00

kev00
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice one eatstatic :smashin: work first time (when I looked on the players display and not the tv's :eek: )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    kev00,

Note as mentioned I am not sure at the moment which the latest firmware revision is but as you have said, you don't have any problems so no worries there. NIce pics.

StuJe,

Yes my 2900 is multiregion and Denon do have issues with retuned M/R machines (though god know's why) but due to my circumstances at the time they found a way round this issue.

As for returning it to Denon this would be a last resort (They take about 3 weeks), I belive a firmware fix would resolve your problem ....... though I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

Similar issues I had with alien quad r2 box set dts tracks and terminator 2 r1 dts track sound drop outs were resolved by the firmware. But ... and its a big but there could always be some other underlying issue. The Denon 2900 units are good ...... when they work.

Let us know what the firmware is you have now, it could be that the shop where you purchased the unit from flashed the unit with old firmware or they don't have the latest firmware available... i don't know but just a suggestion.

I would first contact your supplyer to address the issue ask them for a disc with the latest firmware version (they may be funny about giving you a disc and you might have to take the unit to them to be done). If they are currently denon dealer they should have no problem in obtaining this for you.

Let us know how you get on.

eatstatic.

29. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I've only had one problem with drop-outs with my 2900 on "Phantom of the Opera -Region 2 - DTS track". I've got about 840 to 850 disc's so if I get problems with one, I can't really complain eh? ;)

30. StuJe

StuJe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eatstatic,

checked the firmware last night, as follows,
    DRV 030827 (as yours before repair)
    B/E 6237W (same as yours)
    PANEL 0042-F (different maybe older ?)

thanks again,