1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2900 SDI with Iscan HD or Crystallio

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by joffonon, Aug 10, 2004.

1. joffonon

joffonon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I'm thinking about (finally) taking the plunge and getting a projector, but I don't have the budget I'd really like, so it looks like I'll be getting the Sanyo Z2 or the Panasonic AE500 (probably the former, due to the lens shift option).

I'm also considering splashing out on a scaler & SDI-modded Denon 2900 to get as much bang from my buck as possible. What I'm wondering is:
    1. If there's anyone out there with an SDI-modded Denon 2900 with an Iscan HD or Crystallio, have these made an appreciable difference to viewing quality over a projector such as this?
    2. Do either (or both) of the Iscan HD or Crystallio deal with the 3:2 "alternating flag" CUE issue on the Denon 2900?
    Many thanks.

Jonathan

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,467
    Don't forget the Lumagen scalers! Also don't forget the option of a HTPC especially if considering spending £3K on a scaler and DVD player as a HTPC from e.g. Uvem should give that combination a good run for it's money.

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jonathan
    Yes, Andy is right not to dismiss HTPCs - A prebuilt one can rival a good scaler for as little as £1500 or a home-built one for less than £1000. If you consider yourself techie, then building a PC should be well within your reach.
    Having said that I have a recently built high-spec HTCP sitting in my living room, idle, since the arrival of Crystalio. It doesn't do as much as a PC, but what it does, it does very well indeed.

1] We have a 2900 and Crystalio here - Good question and very difficult to answer - I think I'd be tempted to spend on a better projector first, live with some artifacts and then add the other items as cash became available.

It is a difficult issue though, the best bet is to try and see some setups that all add up to your budget in different ways. Funnily enough the digital PJ is probably the quickest depreciating item, so that confuses things too - Thats why many of us still go for CRT pjs.

2] Crystalio has filters that help CUE issues - I'd imagine that iScan HD does too. They don't totally erradicate it but they are good.

have a look at the following image from http://www.hometheaterhifi.com
    [​IMG]
    their text says the following "You will notice there are four close-up shots. The shots on the left are using correct upsampling while the shots on the right are incorrect. The top shots were created using no filtering (worst case scenario), while the shots on the bottom are using a 6-tap FIR filter (best case scenario). We are showing you filtered vs. unfiltered to point out that the is a difference in terms of visibility based on filtering."

As you can see - filtering can do a pretty good job.

Hope that helps
    Alex

4. joffonon

joffonon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the responses. I considered a HCPC, but a scaler would be my preferred choice if possible as I would be looking to get the best out of other sources (VHS, Laserdisc, Sky+) as well as DVD.

Anyone else with experience of using an SDI-modded Denon 2900 coupled with one of those scalers?