1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2900 Query

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rosemanbridge, Oct 21, 2003.

1. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am looking at purchasing a Denon 2900 DVD player. The reviews are all positive, but is there anyone out there who has one of these machines and can share their opinions? Thanks.

2. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have the denon 2900 but I recently demo'd one. In my opinion, the denon was very good, but I thought arcam's DV88+ was better.

I am sure that the stereo performance of the 88+ is better than the denon, and I am quite confident that the movie sound is better too. For me, stereo sound from the DVD player is important, which is one of the main reasons that I view the 88+ to be the better machine. Of course this may not be a requirement for other people.

In terms of pq I didn't detect much difference between the two. However, my testing of the pq was not comprehensive so I can't say too much about this - other than both the 2900 and 88+ seemed very good.

I did not look at PAL prog. scan or any NTSC action...

Hope this helps,

Gav

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I've had my 2900 for about 2 months now along with a Denon 3803 amp.

I use it with both my Sony 30" LCD TV Sony HS10 projector.

I only have R2 DVDs so have not bothered with the multi-region firmware upgrade wich some people seem to think introduces problems.

I find the PAL prog-scan picture quality to be first rate and because of it's large buffer/cache you do not see the layer change.

There are also some discussions regarding the chroma up-sampling bug but I have not noticed this at all. I did however see it all the time on Sky+ before I got my iScan Ultra...so I do not what it looks like.

Unlike Gav I was more interested in pure picture quality over sound quality but to my ears it sounds great on both DVD soundtracks and audio CDs...but like I said I'm no audiophile.

I have not yet tried any SACDs or DVD-As as nothing much takes my fancy yet.

The only two small faults I would have with the 2900, and I do mean small, are that it does not remeber where you have got upto in a film if you stop short of the end. Plus if you power off the unit whilst the DVD draw is still open it remains open unlike my old Sony player which would close the drawer and then power off...see told you they were small.

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase...just wish I had waited another couple of weeks for them to anounce that you can get them in silver now, mine are gold.

Cheers, Lee

4. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just had the 2900 installed yesterday, so it is early days, but I watched The Core last night and was very impressed by the performance all round, picture (progressive to an NEC 42in plasma via component) and sound. I think it performs very well in CD format, though it does not match an expensive cd player, for obvious reasons. I have had time only to sample a few SACDs and DVD-As, but with these it sounds clear, warm and detailed to my ears. Bear in mind of course that the receiver will make a difference (3803 in my case), as will the speakers! (dynaudio 42 imc). And cables.... etc. etc. For example, 2900 in stereo through the KEF eggs did not impress me, but shifting up to the dynaudios was revelatory.

My 2900 has been multi-regioned and I did not notice any problems chroma bug-wise, but this is only after a few hours' use.

The very best advice I can give is to take the time to demo some equipment. I know people say this all the time, but it is IMHO the best advice anyone will ever give you in terms of home cinema investments...

Stevie

5. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have had my 2900 for 2 weeks now and have basically watched all my top 10 dts movies,saving Private ryan etc ,both region 1 & 2 and have not experienced any problems at all. Thne only minor thing i have noticed is that it flags all region 2 dvd as graphic instead of video. it's not important . SACD playback on this unit is awesome, much,much better than even DVD-Audio.

But as a CD player, I prefer my sony Dvp s7700, which has more depth and warmth compared to the brutal and honest denon.

I have not tried either PAL/NTSC progressive scan so i cannot comment on the chroma-bug problem.

Forgot to mention, my player has been multi-regioned.

As a dvd player, that's has excellent picture quality and great multi channel playback, i wholeheatedly recommend it. But if cd playback is very important to you, try other model like Arcam DV88+ or the marantz DV 8400.

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

My understanding was that it was supposed to flag PAL/R2 discs as graphic which is 2:2 pulldown. I thought that the video flag was for 50/60 interlaced and film was 3:2 pulldown NTSC/R1.

I could well be wrong though :D

Cheers, Lee

7. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Performance wise, it's hard to fault. Running into an NEC Plasma via component in my case.
    Only niggles I have are with the remote which is pretty dire layout wise. Plus a few about the way the controls work. For instance on my old players pressing audio on the remote switches it to the next available audio track. With the 2900 pressing it brings up the audio details on screen. To go to the next one you then use cursor to chose and then audio again to exit. Just not as intuitive in my opinion. Same for subtitles etc. Oh and the leaving drawer open on soft powerdown as mentioned before. Just silly things that £100 players sort out as standard.
    Mind you, all that is not a problem with a Pronto controlled system with macros...

8. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im very pleased with my 2900.
    its has been multi regioned.
    i play a mix of both R1 & R2's in progressive mode to plasma.
    the quality of the image is very impressive.
    i use the dvd player to play standard cd's and am very impressed
    with the audio quality produced (along with anyone that I demo the kit to are equally impressed). audiophiles have more purist views here, then there probably still arguing over the fact that vinyl is better than Cd too.
    ive a few SACD's and am very impressed with the sound produced. Always spend time setting the kit up both in the video and audio departments. the menu system is very easy to use.

9. nomad3212001

nomad3212001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Anybody got any suggestions asto which is the best online store to buy a multiregion Denon 2900 from?

Cheers
    Eddie

10. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got mine from Creative audio.
    ive bought a fair bit of kit from these guys and they know there Hifi. There prices are also very good. highly recomended

http://209.167.103.167/home.htm

11. nomad3212001

nomad3212001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that. Just checked their website and the price seems good. You had any problem with their multiregion upgrading?

Thanks
    Eddie

12. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I got mine from www.discounttv.co.uk. Excellent price and service. No apparent problems with the multi region upgrade either!

13. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had no problems at all with multi region & my collection has a good split of region 1's and 2's.

Also as i have a plasma the player is used in both pal and ntsc progresive scan mode, no problems here either.

a great product.

14. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I *did* have a problem with the multi-region modification, but only temporarily. After spinning the modification CD, it would no longer output PAL progressive (NTSC was fine). Fortunately, the supplier tracked down the problem very quickly: my machine was an ex-demo and therefore from an earlier batch that had a bug when multi-regioned. The supplier (Audio-T, Baskingstoke) was able to fix the problem by pressing a few buttons in a certain configuration.

Still early days with the machine, but so far I am very very happy with its performance all round: video, CD, SACD and DVD-A (to NEC plasma via component, with a 3803 in the loop). At the moment, it's DVD-A that I am using more than anything else....

Stevie