Denon 2900 queries

Philly112

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just borrowed a 2900 for the weekend from a local hifi shop(prior to a possible purchase), and while generally satisfied, I have a couple of queries which hopefully someone may be able to answer.

1) Am generally running through a projector, with progressive scan enabled. However, through a tv (scart) the rgb picture is terrible - washed out etc. Is this normal? S Video setting seems fine. (this maybe because I was not using the RGB input on the tele, but not seen this on my old Sony player).

2) Using DVD-A and SACD, I have the speakers set to multi (to get surround sound). However, when playing a dvd through the tele (on s-video setting - see above!), the scart only seems to transmit the left and right channel, NOT the centre (or presumably the rears). ie the channels are not downmixed to stereo. This means there is no dialogue beacause the centre info is not sent! Can be cured by resetting speakers from multi to stereo, but surely there is an easier way?
Anyway, hopefully one of you geniuses out there may be able to help, or at least confirm my findings!

Hi Philly112,

I've owned a Denon 2900 for a couple of weeks now and i'm very happy with it. But it does have some quirks!!!

1) Am generally running through a projector, with progressive scan enabled. However, through a tv (scart) the rgb picture is terrible - washed out etc. Is this normal? S Video setting seems fine. (this maybe because I was not using the RGB input on the tele, but not seen this on my old Sony player).

I haven't had any problems with the RGB setting through Scart, i get a great picture with a real film like quality to it, far better than pioneer(not recent ones) and sony's that i've owned.

Not sure i quite get what you saying about "not using the RGB input on the tele", did you have the machine set to RGB and the scart lead going into a basic compositive scart input and not the RGB one???

2) Using DVD-A and SACD, I have the speakers set to multi (to get surround sound). However, when playing a dvd through the tele (on s-video setting - see above!), the scart only seems to transmit the left and right channel, NOT the centre (or presumably the rears). ie the channels are not downmixed to stereo. This means there is no dialogue beacause the centre info is not sent! Can be cured by resetting speakers from multi to stereo, but surely there is an easier way?

This is one of the machine's quirks, the only way is to switch it to 'Stereo' like you said. I've got use to using my amp most of the time now anyway, if it's late at night i use the 'Dolby Range Compression' function on my amp.

Another quirk is you can't adjust the player's colour settings for a Scart connection, which i could with other players:confused: , lucky though i don't need to as my picture is great:D

I very impressed with the sound of SACD/DVD-A material though this player as well, very very involving when playing a well mixed surround disc.

If you can live with these quirks then you'll be getting yourself a great DVD player:clap:

Giz.

Thanks for the reply. Wrt the scart/rgb tv thing, I have resolved this now! Thanks.
Still a bit miffed with the multi speaker set up not playing a full signal through the scart lead, but in practice this would not be too much of a problem I guess. I was just hoping for an idiot proof machine for the whole family to use, not having to worry that all my settings were changed every time I switched the thing on due to meddling!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom