Denon 2900 Progressive scan problem, Random green lines

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thudspud, Nov 19, 2004.

1. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hello

Bought a Denon 2900 yesterday from Superfi, got it home yesterday and tried it and am not happy so far!

When watching anything PAL Progressive (Haven't tried NTSC yet so might be the same) every few seconds I get a green line apear for literally a frame at a random point in the screen and of random length but is only a few pixels high and also frequently but not as often you get a sort of interference pattern on quite a large portion of the screen (hard to explain)

If you turn the player to interlaced the problem goes away but the quality obviously isn't as good.

Display is a Panasonic PWD6 42" Plasma run via component with a mark grant cable.

Any suggestions what the problem could be, the player was an ex display model and was connected to a plasma instore and never noticed it doing any thing like this and I doubt it is my display as it doesn't do it on any other source (Sony DVP-NS930 in progressive)

After watching af ew different discs I thought I had narrowed it down to when there was a lot of movement on screen (i.e. High bitrate) as that was when it seemed to happen most but am not so sure!

If I can't sove it I will just take it back and keep my Sony, nothing wrong with it just wanted something to match my new 3805 receiver :)

Cheers

Chris

2. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Well, I have just got back in from work and have tried it again wit ha different cable and a differewnt component board in the Plasma and it is still doing the same :(

3. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Well, Have done a little more testing, the problem is also apparant on NTSC material and still if you turn off progressive the problem goes away.

Machine had been on for over an hour now and the problem has got less but still happens every 30 seconds or so, think I will leave it on over night and see if it has gone completely in the morning!!!!!!!!!

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    If I were you I'd demand a new one straight away as it doesn't sound like it's behaving right at all! I know a lot of people have had problems with 2900s but when you get one that works (as mine did!) they're great machines. I ran mine progressive into a pj and it worked fine in PAL or NTSC.

5. martinsurround

martinsurround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :
    May I sujjest you take it back to the Shop,and try to ask the guy exchange the new one for you,becase you can't do everything with this.

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    The 2900 does have a seemless layer change though. Don't think the new 2910 does!

7. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a denon 2900 running into a panasonic 42" (4) plasma and dont have any trouble... but I have noticed green lines when there is conection problems with the plasma.. Sounds like the screen may be the problem? try the 2900 on a similar plasma before you condem the denon.

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take it back Thud i have never had that problem and run Pal & NTSC fine!

John

9. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2910 does have the 2mb buffer. Though i did see a slight pause on Star Wars AotC.

But haven't seen the layer change on anything else.

John

10. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Many thanks for all of the input, took it back today and got a full refund, now toying with a denon 3910 as I can get a brand new one for £620 but have heard bad reports when paired with a Panny PW6 Plasma wih regards to macroblocking, any comments?