Denon 2900 Problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by winterking, Jun 12, 2005.

1. winterking

winterking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

Hi - Think I have pretty bad problem with my dvd player.

Whenever I play a new DVD disk (that the player has not played before), I am guaranteed to have at least 1 chapter that chops and stutters. Second time I play the film, it never has a problem.

The Denon 2900 came from a retailer with a multiregion hack applied - but this problem is on all regions.

I was considering upgrading the firmware - but weren't sure what that would do to the existing multiregion hack. Would a factory reset help, and will this erase the multiregion hack if I do this?

Any advice appreciated- thanks

2. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The first time you play the new disk is it always just after you've switched your 2900 on?

The reason I ask is that my 2910 seems to have problems with stutters and blocking with DVD-R's when it's cold but plays them with less problems/ok when it's warmed up.

3. winterking

winterking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't noticed that the problem is related to being cold - becuase some discs will play fine after switching on.... I was wondering about a laser alignment kit or something.

4. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sorry, that was my only theory!

Seems to happen with me with some DVD-R's - still not tracked down the exact reason yet but I'm starting to think it's down to downsampling.

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Quite an interesting problem. Perhaps theres some manufacturing residue on the disc that is burnt off by the laser first time its played. Maybe you'll find that if you wipe the disc first time you take it out of its packaging it will be ok.

Surprisingly some of the better more expensive dvd players aren't actually the best players for copeing with dirty or poor quality media. Part of this is due to the fact that they try to get the timing of the data spot on so the drives are run at single speed. Many of the cheap chinese players play dvds at upto 4x. This means they have chance to reread bad areas of the dvd and quickly change from one layer to the next but the timing suffers and the sound quality generally won't be as good.

However theres a lot to be said for dvd players that will play a film from beginning to end without ever a stutter or layer change pause even if it is at the expense of slightly inferior picture quality and sound.

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Can you not take the player back.....???
    Is this a problem you have had since new.......???
    I have had 2 2900's.......i took the first one back because of a couple of my disks stuttering and freezing, but it turned out in the end to be the disk's.
    I have had the second one for around a year now and have had no probs with it. ( apart from the problem disks i got ).

7. winterking

winterking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks...I'm passed the 1 year warranty, its taken me about a year to get a pattern, but there just really isn't one, so sending it back isn't really an option.

CD, SACD and DVD audio no problem at all...DVD any region though, all sorts of problems.....

Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban stuttered 1st time watching.
    The sopranos season 1 sturttered on the first 3 disks but fine on the last 3 disks.
    Spaced Season 1 - still stutters now

These are the ones off the top of my head, there are more that stutterd once and then are fine, and those that stutter all the time.

I really had less problems with my Samsung and (ahem) Mico players.

I like the idea of wiping the disks, i'll give that a go...Anyone think a firmware upgrade may help ?

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I doubt a firmware upgrade would help. What you probably need is a denon service cd/dvd that you can adjust the laser power setting on. Thats if such a disc exists for Denons. Maybe instead they have a special service remote control or even lead that connects to pc and the back of the dvd player and the pc can program settings into the dvd player. You don't normally get an increase in laser power in a firmware upgrade because many Denon's are probably quite well setup and don't need it. If there was a firmware upgrade that changed 1x reading to 2x reading that obviously could help.

I have a Ebench KH6777 dvd player and that I would guess has a similar problem to the Denon. Most dvds are fine but perhaps 1 in 5 might jerk once in playback and perhaps 1 in 30 dvds will play up a little more. It came with a 3 year guarantee so is still under warranty and I might contact them about it. I actually have two of them as I contacted them before and they sent me a new one minus remote control and said take the old one to lidls but I never did. Yes I know I should of. So I have two identical dvd players but only one remote control. They are both the same with regard playback in fact you can't tell them apart. They both will occasionally skip and very occasionally really play up for 5 seconds or so on a dirty dvd (dirty as in finger smears etc). I looked inside and both feature a rather basic Sanyo dvd loader. The annoying thing is in every other way the players are fantastic. They feature dd/dts and dpl2 decoders built in with full 5.1 outputs. They also feature dual 6.3mm headphone sockets with individual headphone amps and volume controls. They are Zoran Valddis 5 based which is an excellent chipset and give a fantastic progressive picture far superior to any mediatek player I've seen but unfortunately they have ropey dvd loaders. The only dvd player I've come across that had a worst dvd drive was the Toshiba 330 I once had. That thing ruined practically every film with an occasional frame skip and very long layer change. At least the odds are in your favour with the Ebench.

Personally I think you contact Denon about your player via letter explaining the problems you've had and the fact you've never been satisified with it and see if they will do anything for you post warranty plus maybe a similar letter to your dealer. If you paid by credit card maybe even a letter to them explaining that at first you thought it was faulty dvds but in fact the player has been faulty all the time and has been a major inconvenience. Basically one similar letter sent to 3 addresses. Your dealer might do it for free if its a 5 min job just to whack in the service dvd and make a single quick adjustment.

9. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If i remember corretly....all denon gear comes with a 2 year warranty....( as long as it was brought from a mian denon dealer ).
    Check the denon web site, but i'm sure i'm right.
    So you can still take it back, if it's within 2 years.......they will send it to denon, but denon are not the quickest at sorting probs.........so it might take a while, but i think it would be worth it, as it is a brilliant player.....i am well pleased with mine..... :clap: :clap: :clap: ( can you tell... :D ).

10. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Another thing.....
    Have you tried these disks on another player.
    My 2 problem disks would freeze and skip on the denon, but would play fine on my pioneer 656.....so i took the 2900 back and got a refund...then brought a denon 2200 and once again, the disk would skip and freeze on the denon but played perfect on my pioneer.
    I then brought my Arcam DV89 and when i tried the disks in this they would freeze and skip on the arcam, one of them totally locked the arcam up.
    I went back to my dealer and tried the disks on their arcam 88+ and the same thing happened.....skip and freeze.
    Decided to buy another copy of the films and no probs.
    I've still got the problem disks here and they wont evern play on my pioneer players now.
    So maybe worth taking your disk's with you to your dealer and try them on their players.
    You never know, you might just be unfortunate to have a few rotten disk's like i had.

11. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I have the same problems on my Denon 2900, I thought I would upgrade from my Philips 962 player...........big mistake really as it does'nt do anything better than the Philips player except faster layer changes (which would be brilliant if only every DVD did'nt freeze and stutter at some point).

This problem seems common to Denon players and it wont be long until the Philips player has been re-hooked into the system and the Denon is on Ebay.

12. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a problem with my 2800 that required a new laser assembly. The machine could not cope with dual layered discs, but single layered were ok - any similar relationship with your problem discs ??

Harry

13. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    winterking,

Have had quite a bit of trouble with 2900 in the past but when a disc did not play it usually did not play the second time round so this seems a bit odd.

It was the laser pick-up assembly that was the problem. Sent off to denon ......and waited for the units return. Have not had a problem again since.

What it the firmware that you have now?

As for the firmware if you flash the unit with a newer version it will wipe the original. You could always try ti re-initalise the unit to see if that helps.

eatstatic.

14. winterking

winterking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again - thanks for the help.

I spoke to the company that sold me the unit. They have stated to try a factory reset before sending it back - they also went on to explain that this will not erase the multiregion upgrade on the unit - I didn't think this is correct !!!

Anyone confirm if Factory reset will set my player back to region 2 ?

Also, for new DVD's I have taken to brushing them over my shirt before playing fresh from the box - to date I have not had any problems, but then again this could just be a good run I'm having !

Cheers

15. pauwoo

pauwoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had my 2900 for 2 years now and in that time i would say it has had a 1000 dvd's in it and it has never failed on any of them. I am giving it to my brother as i have ordered an A1.

It sounds as if you may have been unlucky with the player you have.

16. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    In my experience, aside from the cheap chinese players, the only decent brand of DVD player that plays anything you throw at it, is Pioneer.

I've owned loads of different brands (Pioneer, Denon, Panasonic, Toshiba etc), and currently own a £2500 Denon DVD-A1.
    Denon are possibly not the worst, but they are far from the best at playing anything.

I once owned a Pioneer 737, and it would simply refuse to be beaten with anything. Cheap, nasty DVD-R's burned on a naff burner.... no problem!
    Badly pressed commercial discs that beat any other machine..... no problem in the Pioneer.

I'm sorry I sold it really, and I would actually consider swapping my Denon DVD-A1 for a Pioneer 868.
    The only thing that stops me is that the Denon sounds sensational.

IMO, if you want trouble free DVD player to play anything.... get a Pioneer.
    Pioneer have always been a 'pioneer' in optical technology, and this can be seen in their PC DVD drives too.
    I installed 2 Pioneer DVD drives in my PC, and neither has ever let me down... even with the most horribly cheap DVD-R's.
    In the long run, Pioneer drives actually save you money in blank media costs.

17. winterking

winterking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - The firmware info is telling me this....

DRV 030827
    B/E 6237v
    Panel 0043-F

Anyone confirm if this is could do with updating ??

Also, can anyone confirm if I do a factory reset on my player will I lose the current multiregion update that is applied.

Cheers !!!

18. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Winterking,
    I've had a problem with my 3800 drawer opening time and again when trying to load a disc. My dealer called Denon and they suggested ' initializing' the unit. I also asked if this would interfere with the regional coding and was told it would not. i completed the sequence but it did not cure my drawer problem. However, it also has not messed up the multi-region status of my player either.
    Hope this helps, John

19. Yotak

Yotak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a Denon 2900 how do you:
    - find out the firmware info? (what is the latest and greatest? What probs are fixed?)
    - do a reset?

I would like to try this as my player has developed a problem in reading Region 1 coded discs. This was not a problem for the first year or so but now the picture 'stutters'/'jerks' all the time on any Region 1 disc. Region 2 discs are no problem.

I was thinking that a reset could possibly be worth trying provided it doesn't wipe out the Region 1 hack.

Previous replies indicate that a reset would be safe to try.

Finally, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere...

20. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Yotak,

To check the firmware:-

1. Power the unit off.

2. While pressing together the "Play" and "Open/Close" buttons, press "Power".

3. In the display you will see the Play and Pause symbols.

4. Now, using the remote control, press the "Menu" button. With each press of the button,
    you will scroll thru the different versions of the the unit. First is the "DRV", followed
    by the "B/E" and finally the "Panel".

Using the front panel button, power the unit off to return to normal operation.

As for which is the latest firmware I have no idea? Perhaps you can check with 'StuJe' (do a search on 2900 sound drop out) as he was supposed to be getting the latest firmware from denon. As to if he has or not I don't know.

When you mean reset the player do you mean to re-initialize the unit? If so you will not have a problem it removing the multi-region hack.

eatstatic.

21. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Just noticed above, did you get this upgraded?

My firmware is:-

DRV 030227
    B/E 6237W
    PANEL 0043-F

Mine was when sent in for repair :-

DRV 030827
    B/E 6237W
    PANEL 0043-F

eatstatic.

22. Yotak

Yotak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ecstatic,

My machine (going on two years old) has:

DRV 030827
    B/E 6237S
    Panel 0043-f

So far so good. Don't know how to interpret the above as regards firmware currency though. Anyone have ideas? :lease:

As to initialising the box, yes, I'd be interested in trying this to see if it impacts my Region 1 stuttering problems.