1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2900 - playing MP3's

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gordonavon, Dec 8, 2003.

1. gordonavon

gordonavon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure I am not the only one who has found the display of 8 characters on MP3 titles absolutely useless. What on earth were Denon thinking off. I can't work out the title of any tracks without writing them down from the laptop first!

From previous experience is this something that might get improved with a firmware upgrade. Are there any firmware upgrades for the 2900 yet that anyone knows about, if so what are they improving?

Gordon

2. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked about firmware last time I spoke to my dealer, unfortunately he doesn't carry Denon any longer.

It seems the 2900 is a little better supported in the US.

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Why would you want to play MP3s via such a beast anyway !!

Don't get me wrong MP3s have their place but I guess you've got your 2900 connected to a fairly decent amp and then some decent speakers it just dosen't add up to me.

BTW I have never tried MP3s on my 2900 so they might sound okay it just seems odd to me.

Cheers, Lee

4. gordonavon

gordonavon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I do have the 2900 linked to a pretty good setup. Most of the time I play 'proper' CD's, but I also like to try some before I buy, so do have a few MP3's from my laptop as well. They sound pretty crap on the laptop and whilst I agree the sound is nowhere near the quality of a proper CD, they sound infinitely better on the 2900 than my laptop. I just can't see the full titles on the TV monitor becuase of the 8 character limitation.

Ah well, maybe they might change this with a firmware upgrade one day.

Gordon