Denon 2900/Pioneer 757A versus HTPC with AE300

KraGorn

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Currently I'm using an HTPC to drive my AE300 and it's fine, except that operating the thing is considerably less than convenient and even though I have an ATI remote driving TheaterTek it's still klunky compared to a decent DVD remote.

I'm trying to discover if it's possible to drive the PC using an LCD while watching video on the PJ, however at present it seems not possible in which case I'm contemplating ditching the HTPC.

My question therefore is what sort of PQ can I expect a decent prog. scan DVD like the 2900 or 757A in comparison to the HTPC which is using a Radeon 9600 and TheaterTek?

Clearly auditioning these devices against the HTPC is out of the question, getting a loan of these sorts of boxes is possible but then I'd have to pay considerably more if I bought one since stores that loan for home demoing aren't likely to be discounting SRP, so I need to have some idea if I'd be disappointed if I discarded the HTPC.

I haven't demoed the AE300 at great lengths but given its lack of 1:1 mapping via HCPC, I'd say that a good progressive scan DVD source should produce favourable results.

Not a fan of the AE300's "smooth screen/soft screen" technology though :(, but I'd ceretainly be favouring prog. dvd as a source.

:smoke:

I reckon you should take your projector to a Hifi place with a 2900 on demo and try it yourself. Can't trust better than your own eyes....

One can get 1:1 mapping on the 300, albeit you lose around 4-8 pixels around the edges and thre are a couple of "fuzzy" vertical bands on the desktop, but for DVD playback it's perfect ... leastwise, my old eyes can't see any problems. ;) You CAN get pure 1:1 in VSCROLL Mode and careful inspection comparing the image to that in 960x540 mode shows no difference again in DVD viewing.

That said, I find an HTPC considerably less than convenient to use, even using TT with an ATI Remote.

Hmm, take the Panny to a store to demo a player .. do stores do that? :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom