1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2900 PAL progressive probs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Quilty, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Quilty

Quilty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In some circumstances Mode 1 for the Progressive Scan really buggers things up.

Have a look at Gladiator Region 2. At 1 hour 2 mins there is the overhead tracking shot over the houses. In Mode 1 it is awful and Mode 2 it is OK. In Mode 1 it looks like the two fields are being put back together in the wrong order.

Another prob like this can be seen in the Region 2 Red Dragon - look at the Chromalux building shot.

Q.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Use Mode 2 then. ;)

3. Quilty

Quilty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice plan - *but*

What happens when an incorrectly flagged source produces "Video" output on Mode 2, and then all that is left is the flawed Mode 1 option?

Q.

4. BabylonP

BabylonP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Don't expect to see a F for film mode on R2 stuff no matter what method you use either mode 1 or 2. You will only see this on NTSC material. You don't do 3:2 pulldown on R2.

To be honest I leave mine on Mode 1 and as most of my collection is R1. I have used mode 2 only on a couple of films which are better when Mode 2 is selected but there are not many.

All of my R2 movies show V for video i.e 2:2 pulldown which is correct for PAL.

The item below might help

http://www.progressivescan.co.uk/threetwo_detection.php

Phil

5. Quilty

Quilty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phil,

Yes, I know about no 3:2 on PAL, but your display should show G (graphics mode) for 2:2 pulldown. If it shows V it is seeing it as video and thus displays with decreased resolution. This is NOT 2:2 pulldown in action. In this case you should switch to Mode 1 for detection of the stream, rather than Mode 2 which is reading the incorrect flags in the PAL stream.

With this thread I am just making the point that there is a detection fault in the chip for some PAL discs, just so everyone is clear!

Best,

Tony