Denon 2900 or something cheaper?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by _Ben_, Jul 24, 2004.

1. _Ben_

_Ben_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Panasonic*TX36PD30C Tv and a Sony HT-K250 5.1 system. I'm using an increasingly unreliable Samsung 709 DVD player, and my chipped Xbox for when the 709 doesn't 'like' the disc.
    So obviously I'm looking for a new DVD player. My friend has the 32-inch version of the TV I have and he's just bought a Denon 2900 for £600 and says it's amazing. But do I really need to spend that much to get excellent quality? I need component out and optical sound out. Is there anything cheaper? And yes, I know that £600 for the Denon is a good price.
    I know that I've spent £1300 on this TV and that there's not point picking up a £50 DVD player for my 36-inch beauty, but is there anything cheaper than the 2900 that is almost as good?

2. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    Well, the Denon 2900 is a Universal SACD and DVD/A player, so, firstly, do you need these features?
    Secondly, I actually borrowed a 2900 a few months ago from a dealer with a view to making a purchase. I was really hoping to be blown away with the advances that have been made since I bought my Sony. As you will see from my signature, I still have my Sony 735!!!
    I found absolutely no difference in digital sound quality from the optical or coaxial digital out - NONE, ZERO!!!
    Picture was marginally better in progressive mode on my (albeit fairly low tech) projector. Interlaced picture on TV - no significant difference.
    CD replay - not really any difference, although I didn't use it too much for CD.
    Don't get me wrong, I was still tempted to buy for the SACD/DVD Audio side of things (which were great, and the machine also has reasonable bass management).

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth - borrow your friends machine to have a look, but I would also suggest you borrow/loan a low cost progressive scan DVD player and see if that gives you want you want.
    Oh, and I am assuming that your TV can accept progressive scan.
    Phil

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    How about a Cambridge Azure 540D (Richer Sounds). Been receiving some very good reviews lately (see HCC). Reportedly a very nice picture in PAL prog mode, and does DVD-Audio as well. Currently selling for £229.95. Could be worth a look?

4. _Ben_

_Ben_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the useful replies. I don't really care about the DVDA or SACD features. I just want a great picture when watching DVDs. I'm a little concerned that some players (including the 2900 and the Azure 540D – which has only just been brought to my attention) may sacrifice video quality for sound features. Am I being silly?

EDIT: It seems the 540D doesn't do DTS, which is a shame.

5. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    Well, if you don't want the DVD/A and SACD features, I would avoid the Denon. I doubt that it's video performance would be sacrificed for the sake of audio, it's just that you would be paying a big chunk of your £600 for features you won't use.
    I don't know about your system, but does it not have a dts decoder?? I also know nothing about the 540D, but can assure you (99.9%) it will output dts via the optical and coaxial digital outputs whether or not it has an inbuilt decoder. The vast majority of systems/amps have their own Dolby Digital and dts decoders (as your Sony kit probably does). In that case, all you need is any old dvd player with a digital output. Most dvd players have their own decoders built in - this is really a hangover from the position a few years ago when alot of people had amps without digital decoding (older prologic amps).
    However, they are rarely used as the optical and coaxial digital outputs bypass them and send the signal undecoded to the amp, where its own decoders do their stuff.
    I hope this is clear - let me know if it all reads like mumbo jumbo.
    Phil

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,484
  7. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Cambridge Azure review The Cambridge model definitelt does DTS, both through its digital output and through the 5.1 analogue outputs (from the internal decoder). See the review above.

8. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi there,

The Denon is a good machine for the money, however, it sounds like that you won't use many of its main features. Pioneer have just launched a number of new low cost, but high performance players. If you want SACD and DVDA and progressive scan images, for low cost, look no further than the Pioneer 575, if you don't need the DVDA or SACD, look at either the Pioneer 470 or the new Toshiba SD240 (both were reviewed last month in What HiFi). Bothg machines will offer top performance pictures via either component or RGB SCART, and won't break the bank!!!!

HTH

Joust

9. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Richer sounds also have the Pioneer 565 at £120.

10. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,490

Having read the review, it says that the machine DOES NOT have a dts decoder, only a dolby digital one. Just so Ben isn't confused!!
    Phil

11. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    If i was you i'd go for the Denon 2200. Exactly what you asked for, almost as good not as expensive.

12. _Ben_

_Ben_
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I checked a few out and plumped for the Cambridge Audio one. It DOES have DTS and soudns great. I'm getting some flicker in prog scan mode though. Not sure if that's down to my TV settings :rolleyes: