1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2900 or Pioneer 757ai

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by esoxcrazy, Jun 28, 2004.

1. esoxcrazy

esoxcrazy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thinking of upgrading my dvd player. Not sure which of these to go for, I've seen a price difference of about £140. pioneer cheapest.
    Need them to play sacd and dvd-a.

Any thoughts?

AE evo package and sony str-db 1080.

2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Esoxcrazy,

I would recommend you get them both for a side-by-side home demo.

I think the 2900 is much better for SACD/DVD-A. The 2900 does bass management properly which you absolutely need unless you have full-range speakers all round.

The Pioneer players support bass management on DVD-A but NOT SACD which is a major pain in the aRsE.

This is academic if your amp does not have a 5.1 analogue input.

Frustratingly I think the 2900 picture is flat compared to the 757.

Which works best for you will depend on your display. If the 2900 picture is OK for you that would probably be the way to go. If it's not you might need to consider an outlaw ICBM (more dosh) to do the bass management or live with the crazy Pioneer bass management.

Have fun !
    Gary

3. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I recently upgraded to a 757 over a 565 for dual prog scan but didn't do a comparison of each with the new plasma.
    The 757 seems stronger for audio but looses some other features eg. the j peg viewer and resume feature.
    I like this player, but if you are spending good money you must look at the features, I assumed it would do J pegs, the audio is much better though.
    Ged

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    How can you not decide........??????

The DENON.....for sure.
    Imagine sitting there watching a film............the PQ is excellent.......the sound is excellent..........the film finishes and you take it out the machine......you stand there for a minute fixed on the player, because it look's excellent.........looks like a DVD player should do.........then an hour later it hits you.........you have just enjoyed that film so much more than you did on your last player.....you cannot think why.....then it hits you........it was seamliss, there was no layer change to distract you......how happy do you feel now.....now that you know you can watch a film and get so transfixed with it, you actually feel like you are part of it, right to the end....instead of getting halfway through a film and all of a sudden it freezes for a second.....just enough to bring you out of it and think, Oh yea, its just a film.
    I do like the pioneer play anything players ( not the styleing thow..... :thumbsdow ) and i also like my Arcam DV89, but my Denon 2900 is DVD heaven.

JMO.....

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    So you think the 2900 is ok then Chris?
    Seriously, how do you think it compares to your DV89 in each category: picture, SPDIF, CD replay, issues (any DVDs they have problems with)?

6. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've had a 656,747,757, 2800 and 2900 so may be able to comment. To be honest, I was underwhelmed with the 2900 for audio. I was expecting great things but found it no better than the 757. The problem I have with Denon products (and I have had many amps and DVD players, still have an 1802 in the office) is that they never seem to fully sort anything before launching. I mean, how many threads are there about this or that problem with Denon players that need sorting with firmware! Eh? If I buy a Pioneer player it just plays stuff, no question.

This forum is I feel heavily biased toward Denon, and they do make some brilliant stuff but I feel we now have this situation where it's blindly accepted as a universal truth that Denon is better than Pioneer for music replay. Well, I don't believe it, in my experience, the opposite is true. I have gone from a 3803/2900 to an AX5i/757 for that very reason. The fact that the iLink gets my system up to nearly where my Tag used to sound is good enough for me. The Denon never got close. For me, layer change is really not an issue either although I can see it would bother some people.

Don't get me wrong, the 2900 is a very accomplished player but I don't see the need for this raving about every new Denon product (followed by months of whining about the lack of firmware to sort interface/playback etc. issues).

Rant over. Better go have a lie down.

7. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That sounded overly harsh having read it back. Of course, personal demo is the best way to choose. For me the only way is to buy players and try them at home then move them on again. This is how I've ended up at my current set up which I am very pleased with.

8. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    You're following me Steve! Just had 3 emails from AVForums - all replies from you.

You were underwhelmed with the audio from the 2900. Was that for CD replay, SACD or SPDIF for 5.1? If all, could you comment on each individually?

Thanks

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Does that mean you're hoping to demo the AV88 agaisnt your 757, or have you already decided the Arcam is better (for those who have no idea where the Arcam came into it, Steve's on the lookout for one)

10. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No, the 88 is for my office system (if we can do a deal). I had one a while back and was not all that impressed with CD playback (posted in the arcam forum and decided it may have been a duff unit). It was a superb DVD player though and looked the biz. I currently have a Denon 1802 and a Sony 700 DVD in the office but I'm negotiating on a cheapy Yamaha 595 amp for the xbox and then plan to get a good DVD player and an older Arcam integrated amp to give me a good stereo sound with the Alpha 7Se I just bought.

In the lounge, I like multi channel SACD so I will keep the 757 there.

11. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry, didn't see your previous post. It was CD replay I was dissapointed with. For SACD it was on par with the 757 but I felt no better. Maybe it just didn't go well with my speakers or something but I felt it was slightly veiled and lacking punch and detail.

It's very difficult to be subjective about a player I sold several months ago but that's how I felt at the time. Certainly it was superb as a DVD player in terms of PQ and the spdif seemed good. I've heard that it's a good transport from those that should know. I don't think my amp is up to worthwhile transport comparisons.

So, overall a great DVD player but not, I felt, a class leader. Or if it is, not as far in front as some would have you believe.

All, of course, my humble opinion.

12. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry, didn't see your previous post. It was CD replay I was dissapointed with. For SACD it was on par with the 757 but I felt no better. Maybe it just didn't go well with my speakers or something but I felt it was slightly veiled and lacking punch and detail.

It's very difficult to be subjective about a player I sold several months ago but that's how I felt at the time. Certainly it was superb as a DVD player in terms of PQ and the spdif seemed good. I've heard that it's a good transport from those that should know. I don't think my amp is up to worthwhile transport comparisons.

So, overall a great DVD player but not, I felt, a class leader. Or if it is, not as far in front as some would have you believe.

All, of course, my humble opinion.