1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2900 or Pioneer 747ai ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by FCP FAN, Jul 11, 2003.

1. FCP FAN

FCP FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

I need a new DVD player. I´m interested above all in 2 features:
    1st - PAL Progressive component output image quality;
    2nd - CD quality playback.

Im considering the 2 players above, for now.

So whats your opinions?

Thanks in advance!:p

2. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FCP I have been looking at these two players as well.

The Pioneer is marginally cheaper than the 2900, has two RGB scarts which is good for STB pass through.

Its a bit smaller than the 2900 as well. Pal prog is a firmware upgrade from Pioneer

However the Denon seems to be a well built device. You will also see lots of comments here about Chroma Upsampling errors and all that stuff.

However if you check out the Secrets website and look at their DVD shootout the 2900 scores a lot better on Prog scan picture than the Pioneer http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_3/dvd-benchmark-introduction-9-2000.html

I am waiting for next weeks Home Cinema Choice reviews and will then go to audition the best ones.

Rog

3. midlander

midlander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Now that the 757Ai comes with PAL progressive as standard, I'd go for the Pioneer. The Denon is a good player but seems to have problems with playing certain discs and CUE. There's at least 4 threads on 2900 problems on this forum but none on the 757Ai.

I can't find the 757Ai on the prog scan shootout - only the 454 which is a very basic player.

At the end of the day there is probably very little in it and I'd rather have a player that works with all films and has no glitches.

Martyn

4. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If it helps, the 757aI is a Japanese/European consumer unit and there is no alternative version in the States. The secrets website tested the older (and buggier) Elite 47i which is the US version.

The new Lexicon RT-10 is Pioneer based so I imagine if the epitome of AV companies has faith in the underlying technology, it can't be too bad!

I invested in the Denon 3800 last year, 3 units later I was still having freezing/lip sync/interference lines and switched to an Arcam DV27+. A rethink on my AV/Hifi strategy (decided to keep seperate systems) led me to get the 757ai. In my opinion this was a considerable step forward in picture quality over the Dv27 (though a definite backward step on CD performance). I use it in conjunction with a DLP projector though found RGB scart performance superb also.

As has been mentioned, PAL prog upgrade is a week away from availability so you will be covered.

Good luck matey - you wont go wrong with 757 - personally the gamble on the Denon is too much of a risk

Darren

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Hi FCP FAN,

I'd also highly recommend the 757Ai - it looks superb playing NTSC PS on my plasma. Now that it's also available with PAL PS it must be a "no brainer". :smashin:

Steve

6. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No brainer? the pioneer is a dreadfull cd player the denon is quite good! depends if this is an issue! if not then the pioneer is prob a better buy!

7. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got HCC this morning, 2900 review is next month :(.

Of the secrets testing the Marantz 8300 is also based on the 757Ai hardware which is a derivative of the US 47Ai and as you can see from Secrets both players score lower than the 2900.

The results are here http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-...ype=&manufacturer=0&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0

The 3-2 alternating progressive flag issue is discussed and this is only on some NTSC discs.

I am all for Scientific analysis of players but you need to see and hear them to judge.

Basically all the issues that have been levelled at the 2900 are also present in the 757Ai according to secrets.

However it does seem that the quality control on the Denon production could be a bit tighter.

Only way to tell is to view and listen to both. Which is what I am doing next weekend.

Rog