1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2900 Home Demo

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sapper, Dec 19, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Merry Christmas to all of you budding Home Cinema buffs! :hiya:

I have arranged a home demo of the Denon 2900 this weekend from my local SeveonOaks in North London.

I do believe it will not be multi-region! :( Apparently they will mod it when I have made a purchase!

Anyway are there known problems with particualr films, etc?

What else should I look for?

Any guidance most appreciated.

Adrian

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Make sure you connect it with YPbPr 3 RCA component and it's set to progressive scan output. Try Star Wars Attack of the Clones (R2 PAL) and keep an eye on the reds esp the lights on the back of the speeder when he dives through the city.

3. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141

I picked up the player last night.

Fisrt impressions..... sound is defiantaly better, but no real obvious increase in PQ yet. However I need to spend time with it today.

However I played the speeer chase scene and it looked good. The red lights of the speeder seemed okay, but I was in a rush. need to do more detailed compariosn today.

Adrian

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    If you still have the player Sapper, the following may interest you.

I did a comparison yesterday of the PQ via 3 different outputs on the 2900, feeding a 433MXE plasma. Bear in mind my 2900 is modded for SDI. DVD was Gladiator superbit.

1. SDI from 2900 via H3DII card in HCPC, DVI out of graphics card to DVI on the 433

2. Analogue component from 2900 to component inputs on 2900 - nothing in the way

3. RGB scart from 2900 via J S Tech converter to VGA in on the 433.

Not surprisingly 1 came out best - just superb PQ. What floored me was that 2 came a long way third with 3 easily in second and getting much closer to 1 than I thought it would. No doubt 2 could be improved by some signal processing.

Component out of the 2900 is excellent, but I would try the RGB/VGA route if you can. There was at least one magazine review of the 2900 which rated the scart the best of its outputs. 2 above gave a surprisingly high level of detail and good colours, while the component was soft and a bit washed out in comparison. Like I say I'm sure that could be smartened up, but the good old scart connector shouldn't be ignored without a try.