1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2900 & Gamma Settings?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bradford Blade, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    After having the Denon 2900 and a Progressive CRT for about a month now, I'm only just finding that after the last few weeks of experimentation that I'm really getting the optimum performance between the two pieces of kit:D The telly is more-or-less set up fine, so I've been looking to the Denon for improvements.

So, my latest venture saw me messing with the user accessible 'Gamma' settings on the 2900, which with a bit of time has really notched up the image quality, and it's got me wondering if anyone out there with this player has had a bit more experience with the 'Gamma' correction.

It seems to be a bit of a hit'n'miss affair, so if any of you Denon 2900 owners have any hints/tips as regards these adjustments, please share them:) I want to know if I can squeeze out any more improvements before sitting back and enjoying my DVD collection...

Thanks in advance guys:smashin:

LAGAVULIN

2. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Hi Guys,

Due to the demands I’ve been getting via threads and PM’s regarding the Denon 2900’s Gamma Correction adjustments, I’ve decided to put the details on this thread I started a few days ago. Please note: these are only my personal findings, and you might discover a few extra adjustments (or, as the case might be, non at all) here-or-there will suit your tastes/preferences better:)

Anyway, get into the players Gamma Correction menu by means of the Pic. Adj. Button on the remote. Then make a note of the default settings (just in case). You’ll see that the graph starts at the bottom left and over a series of 10 notches, works it’s way up to the top right. My default settings were, from left to right, 24; 32; 48; 64; 80; 96; 128; 160; 192 & 224.

I found that the pic was way too dark in dark scenes, which prompted me to try some adjustments via the gamma settings. Voila! What a difference:eek:

Ok, one thing I learnt was that adjusting just an odd one was worthless, it usually ruined the PQ; try it; move one as far up/down as you can and see the results. Yuk! The art is (with your own experimentation) moving each notch in line with the others, e.g. try to look at the notches with a connecting line through them and think of it as a see-saw. If you move the lower left ones up, the top right ones need to move down in a similar sequence...

So firstly try knocking the very first left hand notch up by 5 (to 29), the next one up 4 (to 36), the next up 3 etc., till you get to the (sort of) middle one, i.e. 96, then move the very top right one down 4 (to 220), the next down 3 (to 189) the next down 2 and finally the last 1. Save your settings by pressing the enter button on the remote and have a look at some demo material.

If it’s still a bit dark, follow a similar pattern as I’ve described above, increasing the left side and decreasing the right simultaneously. If it’s too light, reduce the left and increase the right. It’s a bit of trial and error, but once you’ve got it as near as dammit, the 2900 should be putting out a pretty fantastic image.

For the record my own settings (with the 36PD30) are from the bottom left up 7, then 6, then 5 etc to the middle notch of 96 (which I upped 2 to 98) then the top right down 6, then 5, then 4 etc.

And remember, there are 5 memory saves for your adjustments so you can set-up one and then with a few different tweeks set-up the next and compare them while using some source material. I found that really helped me decide which was the optimum setting:D

And FINALLY remember to finish off by re-calibrating the monitor with your DVE or Avia discs just to make sure everything is balanced out correctly. I now find that PQ is jawdropping and is quite simply now limited only by the actual software’s authoring. It really does sort the wheat from the chaff. Great DVD’s look AWESOME:clap: ; trash ones look…well, absolutely trash:(

Happy messin’ guys and please do get back if you discover any nuggets of your own. I’m sure my findings are not the best that can be had:smashin:

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

3. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Hi again guys,

I've recently had another tweek and increased my settings which has further improved the PQ. It takes some time though to get things balanced out evenly. Take your time fella's and I'm sure you'll get it right.

Regards,

LAGAVULIN