1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2900 DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sapper, Aug 16, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Okay.... whats the deal please?

All the main Hi-fi AV magazines have given this beast excellent reviews.

But when I read through the threads of real life experiences' the impression isnt quite as rosey

I am looking for a Region0/1/2/4 DVD player with Pal/NTSC componment out

DVD-A and SACD would be a bonus.

Is this really the machine to buy?

yours curiously

Adrian

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Adrian,

You seem to be a Pioneer type of guy, why not go for a much more reliable Pioneer 757Ai? It is now available with PAL PS and has SACD and DVD-Audio capability also. :smashin:

Steve

3. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I might go for the pioneer. but the press and the end users seem to disagree on the denon.... i find this intriguing

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    The press don't keep their machines for weeks/months and use them every night under a variety of conditions. Still I have the Denon 3800 which has also has had some dodgy posts and mine has been a sweetie - no probs at all.

5. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my 2900 for a month now. Not a single problem. £699 from Avland, next day delivery.

Picture is a massive improvement on my Sony 735D. DVDA and SACD sound are amazing.

I am not using prog scan so I cant comment on that. It is however fully multi region and i have played R1, R1 RCE, R2 and R4 discs on it succesfully.

I am 100% satisfied with my Denon.

Not wishing to have a dig but I think there are a few anti Denon types out there, who like to find the smallest issue and blow it out of all proportion.

Agreed if you watch a lot of R1 Disney discs, with prog scan, and your boat race near the screen you may see a little of the issues mentioned in other posts. But if you check out the Secrets report The 2900 does very well on NTSC video. Certainly better than any other Universal players.

Sound wise it has no competition at the price point.

I think its great and would recomend it.

Rog

6. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141

True, they dont...

But most Av mags whether its that old traditional Hi-fi mag turned home cinima, this one or its major competitor, they all have these news groups.... they should at least be aware of some of the issues...

Shouldnt they?

yours curiously/concerned!

Adrian

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I had my 2900 for just over a week and was getting probs that no one else has had.........so it is at Hayden's at the moment.

It took me a couple of months to decide weather to buy this player.........and i am glad i did (hopefully).
    The pic quality is better than my exsisting player (pio 656) and it matches my amp (denon 3803).
    I brought it because i prefer the denon look over the pioneer look......it looks big and chunky. I wanted a sacd/dvda player. I wanted to get rid of the annoying layer change. I wanted something that had progressive scan, incase i upgrade my screen.
    I was going to wait for the 3800 replacement, but think that will be out my price range at the mo.

As long as it works OK when it comes back, IMO it is worth every penny just to get rid of that layer change.

Make sure, that if you do buy one, you get it modded by the dealer and dont try it yourself, with a firmware download off the web.........loads of people have done the firmware upgrade themself's, but if it goes wrong, then you are knackered.

8. Frits R

Frits R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adrian,

Got my 2900 now for a couple of months - very happy and satisfied indeed. I migrated from the old DVD 2500. Considerable improvent in both picture and sound. Had it de-regioned for a very small fee by the right people so warrantee still intact.
    Haven't been able to test prog. scan yet - need to upgrade TV set first - thats for next year.

My current amp is a Denon AVR 2800 (old model) - considering bying the Denon AVR 3803 (or the 2803) haven't figured out yet.
    (anyone comments on the 3803?)

Before I went for the 2900 I did quite some reading around and found only positive reviews. Saw in one or two forums however a few minor critical remarks, nothing major - but here you go - if you are really looking there's always someting to be found or said.

Anyway, a choice is always personel I think - but this one here is happy owner.

rgds,

Frits