1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

denon 2900 disc freezing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by roym, Nov 25, 2003.

1. roym

roym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    bought this player 3 weeks ago and was happy until i played jungle book (original) region 2 and it froze 15 seconds into the film and does so every time. i tried the disc in the playstation my old tosh and my mates denon dvd700 and it plays perfectly. i borrowed a freinds copy of the film and it does exactly the same thing in my 2900. so i phoned my dealer today who spoke to denon, they told him that the disc was probably not up to industry standards, my dealer says it could be because the player has been region freed and that a replacement would be the same, so i was wondering if anybody on this forum that has a region free 2900 and a copy of jungle book could do a test and post the result. i would be most gratefull as i really like the denon but for £700 i want it play anything i throw at it

2. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I had this prob with cinderella R2 but it only froze the once.....i stopped it...restarted the film and it was ok....but then it started freezing on CEOTTK R4.....Haydon did not want to know because it was a R4 film and should not be played on a region 2 machine, so i got my money back.

Am now trying to get a 2200, which is nearly the same machine, but from the bits i've read about it, it has a diff firmware....so hoping it might work better than the 2900.

Shame..as the 2900 is a brill machine.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sadly, this forum sees a steady stream of reported problems with 2900s which have been unlocked.

I was about to buy one but luckily found the sorry story on here before parting with my cash .. sorry to hear you weren't so lucky.

4. roym

roym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    not sure which film your on about chris CEOTTK R4. is that the only film you had trouble with? seems as though i might have to consider the 2200 or can someone recommend something around the same price not to bothered about sacd but must be multi region, pal progressive and black. it is a shame that the 2900 has these problems, on all other aspects its a cracking machine

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Apart from cinderella freezing just the once, then yes..close encouters R4 was the only other disk i had a prob with....although i did not have the player long enough to try my other disks.

I brought the 2900 because of the buffer mem, so get no layer change.......this is why i am waiting to get a 2200, as no other players in that price range seem to have any buffer mem...and i just hate that annoying layer change.
    Hopefully the 2200 will work better....fingers crossed.

6. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi
    a friend of mine has a 2900(multi-region) and the it had a freezing problem on the new alien directors cut , but after reloading the disc it played fine. will get him to try the disc again and post results.

7. roym

roym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks filmman that would be great.
    ive watched a few films since and had no probs, be a shame to think jungle book would be the reason for me giving up this player. ive put the disc in many times and it freezes 15 seconds in just after the cinderella castle fades, if i pause and then press play it plays perfectly all the way through.

8. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Denon really makes me sad with there failure to fix once and for all, their software. They should sack all there programmers and hire contract monkeys to get it right. Once And For All.

:clown: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :clown:

ps. a friend has this player (R2 only) and Jungle Book, and it also freezes. So I don't think your disc's bad!

9. roym

roym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    looks as though its possibly not down to the multi region firmware then. my dealer tells me that denon are out of stock of black 2900's and that i wont get another one to try this side of christmas. well that should give me plenty of time to find anymore problem discs, if i do (hopefully not) i will post here.

10. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had a 2900 for a few months, unlocked, and never had a problem. Superb machine.

11. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have heard that on the 2200, possibly also on the 2900 you can't stop the film and then hit play to resume it. Apparently you have to save as a bookmark or something, any truth to this?

12. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It will resume if you are just stopping it to go get a drink or maybe on the phone.....but once you turn the power off, it will not remember it when you turn it back on.

Maybe this is why there is no buffer mem on other players, as they put things like remember the last 5 disks and resume after power off....gimmics which i do not use anyway.

13. roym

roym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    its nice to here that there may be some good unlocked player's available

14. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi
    tried alien directors cut again, played fine with no freezing. will
    post when he watches the others.
    aliens directors cut plays o.k.

15. roym

roym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well my dealer got another 2900 for me so i took jungle book along and when i tried it in the new player, which was straight out of the box so not modified it froze in the same place. the disc played fine on an arcam dv78. so they phoned denon who again said that it is a disc error. this is the only problem i have had so i am keeping the 2900. i did demo the dv78 which had a slightly better picture but both myself and my freind agreed the sound on movies was much better on the denon and cd playback was also better on the denon which i did not expect, also the arcam seemed to be less well built, the disc tray sounded like it was from a dvd player worth £90, quite dissapointed because i was considering this instead of the 2900

16. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    As i've posted time and again - if a disc freezes more often than not it's down to an authoring error. People are too quick to jump on firmware updates etc to explain problems that really lie in the software.

Blimey think how often web sites don't work - you dont blame your pc for that do you?

17. roym

roym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i must say i have to agree with you wilber, i think that theres probably a disc for every make of player that will cause problems. i have had my 2900 for a couple of months now and i think its a damn fine player.

18. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well actually.....a few times i have had the internet not working...or a web site not working......
    Once i reboot the PC it all works lovely:) .

As for the denon players.....i think it is their reputation for haveing probs....so as soon as people get probs with the newer players....the first thing you think of is, its down to the player.

i wish now, that i had not got worried so quick and kept my 2900.....but after paying £850 i was not going to wait and hope.

Are you a Alfa driver " just because most people complain about them braking down, you cannot blame it on the car".....:D