1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2900 and DVD-R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chevyv8, Feb 6, 2004.

1. chevyv8

chevyv8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have just started to use DVD-R discs and the results are not good so far, only 1/2 of the discs I create can be read in the Denon 2900 but they can all be read in an old Sony, I am using a Lite-On 451 DVD writer and Datasafe DVD-R discs.
    Has anyone else had the same problems and found a solution or is it that the Denon is just an overpriced and overrated?
    The Denon does play all pre-recorded DVDs, CDs, SACDs and DVDAs OK
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.:mad:

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Which discs will play in which players can be a bit hit and miss. My 2900 plays DVD-Rs fine ( I mainly but not only use TDK). Are you burning them at a high speed, eg x4? I always burn at x1 to get maximum compatibility.

Try another brand of disc.

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Sorry - meant to say in the first post that if half the discs do work OK then i would suspect the discs and not the player as the problem

4. chevyv8

chevyv8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, the discs I used were Datasafe 4x DVD-R (Ritek G04 Dye), they are a new design and get good reviews.
    I wrote them at 4X on a new Lite-On 451 drive using Nero 6.0.0.11
    What discs / drive / software have you had success with so far?

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I use printable discs because I have a CD/DVd printer, but the brand I use mostly is TDK. Most are recorded on a Panasonic HS2 DVD recorder. My PC recorder is a toshiba and as I said I burn everything at x1 to be on the safeside.

6. chevyv8

chevyv8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good, I rang Denon and they said either TDK or Sony discs, I then rang a supplier who tended to agree, he also mensioned TraxData and Zero Defex, he also said that I can use DVD-R or DVD+R discs but Denon said DVD-R only, what do you think, TDK +R or -R or does not matter?:hiya:

7. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Never tried +R. I think -R discs are compatible with a greater range of players than +R, but others would not agree.

I realised I'm actually using Verbatim at the moment, and have had no failures with the 2900.

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I burn primarily to TDK discs +R/+RW & -R. Although I haven't got a 2900 my Denon 3800 plays them all fine.