Denon 2807 set-up problem with getting video

S

SoCal Newbie

I am able to listen to CD's, LP's and the radio, but cannot get video from my HDMI output to my plasma.

A few facts:

I just set the receiver up last night;

I have a cable-box feeding in video via component cable and a DVD player feeding in video via an S-video cable. DVD audio is through separate audio cable to receiver.

During set-up, my plasma was able to display the 2807 set-up print and I tried to set up but I have no idea if I did it correctly. (The book is useless, IMO.)

Either I have the cables going into the wrong inputs in the back of the Receiver, I am not using the remote correctly and am not hitting the buttons to trigger the output to the plasma (I think that is what I mean), the component cables going into the back of the plasma are not in the right input jacks, something I have not thought of or a combination of the above.

Perhaps I need to customer support person on the phone, but does anyone have any thoughts? I think my cables are set up properly into the devise, but the setup process is too muddled and it is not set up right.

Thanks!

SoCal

As with most new amps you will need to assign the inputs to be able to display the picture.

For example if your dvd player is in HDMI 1 then you need to tell the amp this.

Or if your dvd player is component and you need to convert it to hdmi you will need to tell the amp the inputs are connected to component inputs 2 and to turn the video conversion on.

Once you have sorted one it becomes easy - amps these days arent as easy to setup without using the manual!

Hope I have helped . Otherwise give the shop a call where you bought the amp I am sure they will be glad to help.

spooney

I second the previous post. In the beginning it is sometimes a but frustrating but after you have learned how to use your new purchase things clear up and become quite easy.
The Denon docu is the typical documentation: Overwhelming and useless in the beginning, very valuable when you are familiar with your device.

To emphasize what BaldyBouncer wrote:
You need to do 2 basic things first
- Audio Input Setup: Define which source uses which input
- Video Setup: Define which source use the HDMI terminal and which the component

This defines all the inputs for your different sources. Whenever you switch to a certain input like DVD or cable-box all the proper video and audio inputs are selected.

Second step will be
- Video convertion on or off for specific components
- HDMI Out Setup to define if analog signales are output through HDMI and if you would like to have a specific resolution (in case video convertion is ON) or simply want everything 'Through' leaving the resolution untouched.

This should do the trick.

If you compare the documentation after having done this it will becoe a bit clearer :smashin:

Palladio

Spooney is right. I've managed to set my 2807 up and it's all working OK but still feel I could improve things with some tweaking and have different settings for different inputs and even look at the audio delay as I'm sure the audio/video synchronisation is not quite right but I have to agree with the first post.
The Manual is not well written as a technical manual or as a friendly user manual. Some more basic explanations as to how or why you would want to do certain things or the effects certain settings have in an average set up would go a long way.
I will admit that having read it multiple times some of it is sinking in but to be quite honest I can think of better things to read with my time and it does become quite frustrating. You get to the stage where you think it's working ,don't touch it.

But then again maybe all that loud music and too much bass has gone to my head and I'm just a bit thick :confused:

S

SoCal Newbie

Thank you, all. I think that is what I suspected -- I was not able to assign my input devices to the appropriate ports in the back.

I did the best I could after eyeballing the Denon on-screen menu. Among other things, I thought it was odd that it did not allow me to set up anything but HDMI and component cables (is this for output?). For example, I have an S-video cable going in from my DVD player. Do I have to assign that? If so, how?

Wouldn't it be great if knowledgeable people like some of those on this board just wrote their OWN manuals and posted them online? What is to stop it?

SoCal

Jase

Distinguished Member
I did the best I could after eyeballing the Denon on-screen menu. Among other things, I thought it was odd that it did not allow me to set up anything but HDMI and component cables (is this for output?). For example, I have an S-video cable going in from my DVD player. Do I have to assign that? If so, how?

The S-Video and Composite Inputs are fixed. You don't need to assign them.

spooney

Thank you, all. I think that is what I suspected -- I was not able to assign my input devices to the appropriate ports in the back.

Wouldn't it be great if knowledgeable people like some of those on this board just wrote their OWN manuals and posted them online? What is to stop it?

SoCal

Write my own manual ? How much are you willing to pay for it? :D

You do not need to assign S-video but it is a bit tricky. You need to plug it into the DVD section of the sockets.
BUT: You need to switch video conversion for DVD to ON(!) or you won't get a picture.

Component is for input and output. The later is labelled monitor and there is only one monitor out.

S

SoCal Newbie

It only took five minutes on the phone with Denon to figure it out. I think I was either confused by the remote control (your have to hit the "AMP" button before changing functions) or I was not waiting long enough for the Receiver to adjust to the new input.

Wow. The component cables coming in from by cable box make a huge difference. And the sound out of this... Yes! I have not been blown away yet by the music reproduction, but have not listened to that much yet.

I like how it takes phono. I plugged my 25-year-old Yamaha turntable into it and am enjoying LPs for the first time in five years.

I am psyched with my choice. Enjoy all!

SoCal

Palladio

SoCal,
Glad it's all sorted.
Makes me think I might dig out my Record deck and give it a twirl.....:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom