Denon 2807 / Denon 2307 / Onkyo TX-SR674 - Differences?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Scapegoat, Apr 17, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Not interested in the sound quality at the moment as I am planning to go and do a sound test this weekend (with a few difference speakers - MCube; Kef 2005; Kef 3005; Mission e80).

However I would like to have an understanding of the differences in terms of technical capabilities so that I can take these into account.

From the information I have read they are 2xHDMI in / 1xHDMI out, and do some kind of upscaling.

However the 2307 mentions HDMI switching / repeating, the 2807 states 1080p HDMI swtiching / repeating, the Onkyo doesn't mention it all. What does this actually mean?

The 2807 mentions multiple outputs / serial interface - is this 2 speaker sets i.e. A + B?

Do the others do this?

Is there anything else that one of them do - that the others don't?

2. Acecross

Acecross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I would also be interested in an answer to this - looking at the two Denons I cant see any significant differences.

Can I assue the HDMI switiching on all of these units is HDCP compliant?

3. pils

pils

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think I can safely say that neither Denon has upscaling. They both have upconversion to analogue and digital, e.g. composite/s-video to component, and composite/s-video/component to HDMI. The 2807 has the advantage of having a deinterlacer, so signals on the analogue inputs that are running in 480i/576i can be output from the HDMI as 480p/576p. The 2807 also has the Audyssey MultEQ XT auto setup algorithms, and AL24 Processing Plus (improved analogue waveform reproduction).

Cheers.

4. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    So the Denon amps don't upscale - but they are HDMI up-converting amps? i.e. you input sources into the AMP (HDMI, component, SCART etc) and it converts the signal so that they are all transferred to the screen via a single HDMI.

Seems simple enough - and something that I would welcome. Also I presume it means that you just leave the screen on the HDMI inout and change sources on the amp and you get the image and the sound from the one source (opposed to having to change the screen input as well as the amp).

Will both denon amps send a 1080p signal to the TV (e.g. from a 360 connected via component)?

Does anyone know if the Onkyo does the same?

What does this mean (sorry if I am being thick) and what are the tangible benefits if you are using SKY HD, 360, an LCDTV and 5.1 surround sound?

5. pils

pils

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The single limitation of the Denons is they can only support upconversion up to 1080i, e.g. 1080p component will not go out as 1080p HDMI.

Unfortunately the Onkyo website is very vague, it makes some reference to upconversion but no details. :(

One of the benefits of the deinterlacer could be that your LCD will be receiving a progressive signal, therefore it will not have to deinterlace in the TV itself before displaying to the screen, rather this is done in the receiver. This is of positive benefit if the deinterlacer in the receiver is better than the one in the TV, you'd have to test both ways and see which you prefer, really. There are also reports of problems with certain TVs that do not accept a 480i/576i signal over HDMI, so the deinterlacer offers the TV an alternative that is more likely to be supported.

I'm not sure how SkyHD works as I don't have it, does it upscale SD channels to HD as they come out the box? If you're only ever feeding HD (720p/1080i, I think 1080i is preferred as that's what the HD channels are sent over the air as) from the SkyHD box then the deinterlacer in the receiver won't kick in. The same applies for the Xbox360, which I presume you are using as a DVD player too? Does it upscale DVDs?

6. eastman3000

eastman3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    good thread. Some clear discussion around upscling up conversion etc!:thumbsup:

7. dunamis

dunamis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you look on what's currently the last page of thread "Re: Onkyo TX-SR674E - HDMI Amp £499 any good? " you'll see that one of the Moderators confirms that the Onkyo receiver will upconvert to 1080p.

Ronnie

8. sp_harris

sp_harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    When I was looking I didn't see enough extra features on the 2807 to justify it's extra price over the 2307. The 2307 did all I needed, good sound, upconversion of all sources to HDMI, accepts new HD sounds over HDMI, etc... I'm sure the 2807 is very good and probably better but it was an extra £150 at the time, which seemed to be for a bit more power, slightly better sound (maybe) and multi-position auto set (compared to single position auto-setup).

9. sk8

sk8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    and the 2807 has a flap on the front!

10. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Which (admittedly only based on the Creative Audio pictures) Mrs Scapegoat said - its more expensive but has a cheap looking flappy thing on it? Urrgh.

That might scupper the 2807 in my house then :(

After some research and chatting to a salesman I have identified some other differences.

Remote

2807 - large black one with lots of buttons on front.

2307 - smaller silver one with main buttons on front in larger size. Less used buttons (set up and full inout select - 3 options on the front) are under a flap on the rear i.e. you turn it over and open a door.

Seating positions

The 2807 allows you to set the sound up for up to 6 seating positions - so if you sit on a different seat you can change the set up by the touch of a button to get the perfect setup.

2307 doesn't have this functionality.

Erring towards the Denon 2307 at the moment.

11. sk8

sk8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    2307 remote is a bit of a weak link for some but i think it is adequete.

2307 is a great amp though

12. sp_harris

sp_harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Agree the 2307 Remote is not very user friendly - but I use a Harmony 885, so doesn't matter for me.

I know the 2807 allows for auto set up in many places - however my 2307 sounds good where ever I sit.

13. sk8

sk8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17

my thoughts exactly