1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2805 vs Pioneer vsx1014

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sarll, Jan 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Hi

I think it may be time to upgrade my amp and have been looking at the 2805 and 1014 as possible candidates. I currently run a denon 3802 which is great, so my first question is does anyone think I will notice a difference if i do upgrade? (I understand the pioneer may sound 'brighter' than the denon).

I will use the amp for primarily sky, dvd and xbox; audio cd's don't get much use.

The vsx1014 tempts me with its THX certification, but then the denon has some pretty nifty component connectivity. I am looking to spend around £500

I'm trying to arrange a demo for this weekend but would be grateful if anyone could offer some advice/experiences....

Thanks

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Many people will say that THX is a badge and nothing else, although i haven't tried it on the yammy 2500 yet so i can't comment. Also remeber it's just a DSP as nothing is recordered in THX (although somethings are THX mastered), will have to watch star wars tonight to see how good it is :).

Features wise there is not much difference between them, also consider the yammy 1500 which is £550 from unbeatable.

3. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Cheers Gazbarber

After some further searching on this site it seems some people have upgraded from the 3802 to the 3805 and not noticed a great deal of difference so perhaps I need to think hard before parting with cash.

I know you should take magazine reviews with a pinch of salt but one magazine (HCC i think) said in their review that a year ago the 2805 would have been a £2k receiver and that its pretty much the best sub £1k receiver ever made. Bold words...i know!

I had a quick demo of a pioneer ax5ai at lunchtime and it sounded great; although it may be a bit more than I wanted to spend.

4. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Does anyone know the differnence between the Pioneer VSX-1014 and 2014 (apart from the obvious price difference). It looks to me like they are the same apart from the video upconversion thingy..

Anyone have a better idea of the difference?

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I am very happy with my 2500. I watched the matrix last night and it was brilliant! My only Yammy 620 amp and 220 speaker set was good. It went realy load without distortion and seemed to have good surround stearing but my new system is just something else, can't explain it it was just better.

6. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Look at technikdirekt.de for cheaper gear. I ordered a yamaha rxv1500 for £434 delivered. Saved over £120. I never looked at pioneer but sure they will be there. Denon's were (strangely) more expensive though. check it out.

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I thiunk the yammies are the only ones that are really any cheaper, as the others after you take off delivery and the cost of changing currency seem more expensive.

8. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    cheers, i'll have a look.

Had a demo of a Pioneer vs1014 and it sounded pretty good to me.

9. felix_li

felix_li

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To Sarll,

No sure if you will go to Asia soon, or Hong Kong in exactly...

I bought my Pioneer AX-5Ai for just HK$8100 (£558).

10. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Cheers Felix

Unfortunately i'm not going to Asia any time soon, but I will be going to America in March. I've noticed that Pioneer seem to sell their amps in dollars for the same price in sterling. eg you can get a VSX1014 for about $359, which by todays exchange rate is peanuts!

I have reservations though, what about the the different electrical currents?

11. felix_li

felix_li

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. felix_li

felix_li

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And also,

The "brighter" issue of Denon can be improved by using a silver-based connection cable like Van Den Hul (but I don't want to buy any more in cables this time) and so...

13. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    The States use 110 Volts, ours is 220 Volts, You'll need a big & heavy Transformer in order to use it. There's also Customs charges/Import duty/VAT to pay as well. & the warranty? forget it.

Better off buying from UK or European sources (Mentioned here)

14. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +514
    Hey SAR
    I have the 2014 and it's brillaint. I was going to get the ax5i becuase I have a 868 dvd and wanted iLink but then the 2014 came out at a much cheaper price. You won't be dissapionted if you get it.

15. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Cheers Ban5hee

I was actually looking at the 1014. Spec wise the 1014 and 2014 look the same except for i-link, and i don't want that anyway. Did you get a chance to compare ax5i, 2014 and 1014..? Soncially is there much between them? And back to my original question, how does it sound against the denon 2805?