Denon 2805 set-up Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by anotherdavid, Jan 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. anotherdavid

anotherdavid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If playing a stereo analogue source in Pure Direct Mode, if I select "subwoofer off" i lose all sound. Works OK with PCM source..

Very strange - does anyone else have this "problem"?

Also, when playing say a 5.1 DVD, If I want to turn on the Surround Back Speaker - if I scroll through the options I do not get offered PLIIx cinema as an option (just PLIIx Music, Matrix etc) - is there somewhere I have to set this up?

thanks. slowly getting there with this receiver, and getting some good results

2. anotherdavid

anotherdavid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no replies, apologies for the bump, but I hope a 2805 owner can help with the first question, anyway

If playing a stereo analogue source in Pure Direct Mode, if I select "subwoofer off" i lose all sound. Works OK with PCM source..

does anyone else have this "problem"?​

3. Skunky Cubes

Skunky Cubes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll check what happens on my system and get back

4. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I too have a 2805 and will have a "play" later and let you know.

TTFN

5. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    CURIOUS ? ? ? ?

I just tried using the SELECT button on the remote that allows direct access to the channel volume function, and then pressed left to decrease the sub vol to OFF.(Had to scroll thru F/L, F/R first), there was a momentary silence then the sound came back (minus the sub's output of course).
    When playing a DD 5.1 DVD (chicken run as it was first to hand), and pressing the surround back button on remote I got the following on the display on each subsequent press of the surr back button, (don't have the on screen display switched on since I set up the amp,and no video sources are routed thru amp either):-
    DOLBY D (default surround)
    MTRX ON-DD-EX (first press on remote)
    DD+PLIIx C (obviously cinema) (2nd)
    DD+PLIIx M (music mode) (3rd)
    NON MTRX (4th)
    Then back to straight DD on 5th press.

I'm afraid I dont know why you're experiencing these probs? Perhaps you've set up the surround parameters and assigned them to a specific source? Double check the settings via the OSD.
    Also check that the analogue source you have is not connected to any of the 5.1 inputs (ie its connected to say the L/R surround inputs), therefore will not play thru the front channels??

Sorry that I can't be of any more help, but keep me updated as to how you get on.

TTFN.

6. ukroadster

ukroadster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I have this amp and I dont have this problem at all. I can set the speakers to small, large, subwoofer, no subwoofer and I still get the correct (specified output) in pure direct mode.

Sorry not much help with your problem other than to confirm that you should definately not have this problem.

All I can suggest is that you return the amp to the factory default settings and try again.

I dont think there is an easy way of doing this, but I might be wrong - have a look in the manual.

If not its a case of working through the manual setting each parameter to default. The default settings are indicated in the manual screen shots by being in black bold.

Good luck. If this doesnt fix it and your connections are ok it may well be faulty.

Andy

I

7. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stereo & Pure Direct - connect your source via 2xRCA (L&R) to the 2805 CD (L&R) dedicated inputs, set 2805 input to CD, set Mode=Analog, set Pure Direct. You now get L&R stereo full range output to your front L&R without subwoofer (crossover is ignored and so is speaker size-large or small), there is no need to set subwoofer to "off" at all. From now on when you select CD, because the 2805 stores input parameters, you'll just get stereo as CD's were meant to be played. I've got my 2910 connected to the 2805 via Stereo (2xRCA) for CD, 5.1 (6xRCA) via Ext.In (for DVD, DVD-A & SACD) and Digital (Coax) - so for DVD's I can select whichever souce input I need.

8. anotherdavid

anotherdavid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies

I have found on my amp that the room EQ has to be set to "off" to be able to get audio output from front L&R when in analogue mode (with SW switched to off..). If I switch to another room EQ (front, for example) while getting sound I lose output.

I am running my Front L&R thorugh a power amp, but I doubt that makes a difference

Ozdvduser, when I have Subwoofer set to "on" I do get output from the sub, and it shows on the display as well.

Anyway I guess it was the Room EQ Function that was the problem....did a master reset and still unsure if I have a faulty amp.

Must say it sounds pretty good in analogue pure-direct (now that I've got there!)

9. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,803
    You don't have to set the Mode to Analogue. Leave it on AUTO and the Denon will lock onto whatever source signal it detects automatically.

The Pure Direct and Direct Modes on the Denon's ignore any bass management/speaker settings you've selected and send full range signals to the front L&R channels, in addition to sending a filtered analogue signal to the SW channel. This is defeatable by going into the individual channel levels and lowering the SW channel to -12db then OFF.

The Stereo Mode uses bass management and the speaker settings you've selected in the main setup menu. :)