DENON 2805 - Optical out

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by privateersman, Aug 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. privateersman

privateersman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a Denon 2805 which is great but the instructions (pages 5 & 22) say that optical jacks 3 and 4 can be used as output devices and connected to CD writer or MD.

My problem is that I cannot get any signal out of these jacks. The "Digital in Assign" funtions do not seem to specify an output. Would you know how to set-up Optical 3 & 4 to output a digital signal.

Privateersman

2. privateersman

privateersman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have discovered the answer by calling Denon Customer Support. There are 2 optical OUT jacks, 3 & 4, and both of these are connected to the optical IN jacks 3 & 4 respectively. They can therefore be considered as pass-thro only. Ie the 2805 does NOT encode inputs from other sources and output them optically.

Problem solved!

3. briancbb

briancbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for coming back on that one.

The manual certainly isn't clear regarding the Optical jacks 3 & 4. Like you I read it as being optical outputs, not pass thro' of the Optical 3 & 4 inputs.

Now I know, and in hindsight can see why they are called, optical in 3 & 4 and optical out 3 & 4, and not some other numbering sequence.

Brian

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,958
    Looking at the (same?) back panel diagram for my 3805 (in PDF form, not the printed version), if the arrangement is passthrough of the Optical 3 + 4 inputs there is no logic to showing the MD or CD recorder having its output (to OPT 4) loop through to its own Input (via OPT-4).

Isn't it the case that although the Denon does not encode for Optical output, it will pass through any optical input to both the Optical 3 + 4 "outputs" on the Amp which will in turn allow the decks attached to 3 or 4 outputs to record digitally. In the picture in the manaual, the MD recorder will pick up any Optical source from OPT 1, 2 or 3 as they get passed through to the Opt 4 Out (and OPT 3 to be pedantic)

I think we may be talking about the same thing here but Denon's definiton of passthrough and In/OUT may just be throwing us off course!