Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon 2805, Marantz 7400 or HK AVR330?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SilverPenguin7, Jul 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well, this sunday is the big move. I have already purchased a new screen, DVD player and now the speakers, the only thing left that needs an upgrade is the amp.

I want something that handles music fairly well as although I don't listen to cd's loads, I do have mtv etc on in the background a fair bit.

I have narrowed my choise down the these 3:

Denon 2805 - had a very bad experience with a 1802 from Richer Sounds a couple of years ago which has slightly put me off Denon although most people rate them highly so maybe these higher range ones are better?

Marantz 7400 - my current amp is a 5200 and although I love the sound, the one thing that drives me crazy is the way the sound cuts out for a second when flicking through dvd menus and worse still, at layer changes. Does the 7400 suffer from this same 'feature'? If so, its a no no!!

HK AVR330 - which would match my DVD player nicely and I love the look of but have no idea how they perform sonically?!

I can't really stretch my budget beyond this sort of price range so it really would be down to one of these I think. Not a fan of the look of current Yamaha stuff to be honest and as stupid as it may sound, as the thing is going to sit in front of me I want it to look nice as well!

Any suggestions people? :)

EDIT: Forgot to say, I need audio delay, these all feature this I believe?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,663
    I haven't seen a 7400 do this. I will confirm that the SR7400 is a very nice amp and really can play a tune. I tested it against a 2803 which I found a little soft to my ears.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  4. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ok well thats a good sign if the 7400 doesn't do what the 5200 does. So annoying on layer changes as all the speaker indications lights go out for a second on the display so on some films, you miss dialogue!!

Don't know anything at all about Nad stuff, any recommendations?

5. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    AVR330 sonically awsome big powerful amps that will drive the hardest speakers. also easy to use a good build. but see if you canstrectch to the 430 few more features, BUT MORE POWER!!!!!!!!

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    If you are going to wait for the SRx500 range of amps, it may take a while for all of them to come out.

The SR7500 won't be out till nearer the end of the year I believe (November I think).

For the here and now, the SR7400 is a great buy :D

The new look HK amps are built ok, I wouldn't say they had brilliant build quality for the money, what puts me off is that flimsy volume control knob, it looks nice, but it feels awful to touch imho.

8. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I that price range I would buy the Marantz SR7400/7500 or the Denon 2805...

I would consider a NAD also...

9. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct about HK, nice sound but rubbish design (1/10). About as poor as you can get. Even the dpr2005 at £1,500 has the same crap vol knob!

10. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Regarding your reliability problem with Denon 1802. I wouldn't let that bother you too much (easy for me to say i know), i have had a 2802 for 2and a half years and haven't had one single problem. It has been a pleasure to own and even encouraged me to 'go denon' when upgrading the DVD player so i plumped for a 2900!! Basically if you think the 2805 is the model for you then go for it. Same sentiment for the other brands you mention 'cos someone somewhere will have had a faulty model from every brand known to man!!

Happy purchasing!!

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    so you rate the amp on the volume knob that you will never use because it is remote anyway!!!

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Far from it, I for one acknowledge that the HK's sound good, but that volume knob doesn't inspire confidence in the build of the machine, and therefore it's longetivity.

I'd be thinking, "Yeah, sound great, but if they skimped on the quality of the volume knob, what else have they skimped on?"

13. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100% agree :thumbsup:

Design, build, looks... :mad:

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    HK build is very good, possibly using the same case wasnt such a good idea for all the range but knob is as good as that found on Marantz and other mid level, budget kit.

15. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Marantz SR4400 vs. H/K recent Receivers??? :suicide:

16. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi
    Well my harman kardon avr8500 seems very well built to me , as good as any other receiver ive seen and in sound quality and power better than alot of intergrateds out there.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

17. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I had a 5200 before my current amp, an excellent reciever and definately did not cut out on layer changes. it did miss a split second as the film starts or changing in menus but so does all amps i've heard. just some are quicker than others.

18. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hmm ok I didn't know they all do this. Mine must be at the slower end of the scale.

Hopefully getting a demo of the 2805 and HK 330 on sunday, not the 7400 as they don't have one in stock but might take my 5200 so at least I can get an idea of what the others are like compared. Been reading up on teh Denon and have to say I am being swayed slightly in its favour...

19. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my SR7400 and love it, BUT I think I did hit a layer change sound drop out last night when watching 2 towers. I've coupled it with a Marantz DV6400 player and would have expected this combo to be rock solid.

May not have been a layer change, but it was 2/3 through the movie and I lost audio for a fraction of a second but it was noticable. Enough for the wife to ask what it was and for me to grudgingly concede that it may have been a layer change drop out. :(

Not too happy, but as its only occurred the once I'm not ready to write it off as a model fault just yet.

Cheers

20. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    It sounds like it's the amp momentarily losing lock on the sound input as the layer changes. If you have the amp set to Auto this is likely to occur more often.

21. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I don't get any sound drop outs on my SR7400, mind you, I do not have it set to Auto and I'm using a Pioneer 668 DVD player.

I do notice a slight pause on screen on layer change, but rarely does this include the sound dropping out. The SR7400 is fantastic, was watching Hellboy last night, and it's ability to convey nuances in the dialogue, then deliver an explosion straight after is amazing, unsurpassed in its class I'd say. And don't forget it's very musical too, I am more impressed with it as a stereo performer everyday, and multi-channel audio is also fantastic.

I have a Linkin Park DVD-A disc, and it sounds amazing through the SR7400.

22. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had to make same decision about an harmon 330 or a 7400, and went with the 7400 in the end. One of the reasons was that the 330 came with the cirrus 49300 chip, but the marantz came with a 49400 (same one as the hamon 430 has got). Although if you look at the marantz site now they have changed there spec just to say 'custom chip', maybe somthing to do with the problems they had. But anyway the 7400 is well good. The circle surround 2 is amazing for music. As for layer changes dropouts, not noticed any on mine but then again i don't give a toss, only happens once :rotfl:. Having said all that i am sure the harmon is a great amp too. You won't be dissapointed either way :thumbsup: