1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2805 - General Impressions from Users

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Scotty Boy, Oct 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good evening, I hope all is well amongst the AV camp.

Just invested in the new Denon 2805 Amp (Yet to receive it though) And was hoping to get some general impressions from people who already have the machine.

I mainly invested in it because my Yamaha RV-X 1400 only had 2 Componant Inputs.

I'm not hoping for an improvement in sound for Music, or Films. But i'm hoping it will be pretty much the same, what do you guys think? Also, is there an option of changing the base and treble on the denon amp? As i've just started turning the base up on my Yamaha, and i'm enjoying my music alot more like this.

Just hope the sound won't do down in quality when i get the denon!

Cheers,
    Scott

2. AgeOwns

AgeOwns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep.. you can adjust the bass and treble in most modes.

I'm loving my 2805. Sweet sounding even running through my Kef 2005.2s. Yet to use the video inputs yet though... just using it for sound atm.
    Movie sound is excellent... can i recommend you listen to the fifth element (DTS) to check out the bass and Fight club to hear the clarity and sound field of the Amp.
    If your listening to CD's on it try Dido - Life for rent, the vocals are crisp and clear, yet warm - Her voice gives me goose bumps.

3. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So will you be selling your rx-v1400 then? :hiya: As my Pioneer has given up the ghost and im loooking to get a new amp along the lines of the 1400/750 respectively or the new Pioneer 1014.
    I demoed the 2805 out of curiousity as it was out of my price bracket as was impressed very clean sounding but it was very dynamic, sounds seemed a little sluggish when steered around the room. An amp that fvaours slower paced movies than the more dynamic blockbusters. Though i watched it with the scene from monsters inc with the doors.

4. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty new to the 'real deal' in Home cinema. I had a Pioneer all in one system for the last 4 years and whilst it sufficed very nicely the step up from going to the 2805 is unbelievable.
    The sound was SO much better with the Denon through the Pioneer speakers whilst I waited for my Orbs to arrive from the States, now my Orbs have arrived the sound is crystal. Like AgeOwns says, I listened to some CDs on it and it was like when I listened to a CD for the 1st time (rather than tape) the clarity took my breath away.
    I doubt you will see such a step up as you ovbiously had a decent amp but I can't see you being disappointed with the 2805.
    I am currently in the throes of ripping up the front room to lower the plasma and channel all my cables into the wall. Have been system less for a week now and Im missing it badly. Can't wait to get some mates round and crank one of the new Star Wars trilogy through it and watch their faces.

5. AgeOwns

AgeOwns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...not probably the best thing to show off the system... sound is a little ropey in places especially in 'A New Hope'.... Go and buy Fifth Element DTS to show off the system.

:offtopic: Sorry

AgeOwns

6. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Don't suppose you 2805 owners could give me a little help in the other thread could you? :)

7. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read your thread but didn't want to respond to depress you. I auditioned the 2805 together with 3805. I thought there was a big different with the 3805. More clarity, much better bass and greater soundstage but as some have mentioned perhaps not as much midband as Arcam. I also audition HK stuff and compared to Denon they lost the plot with complex music.

8. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just got it set up properly. (finally!)

Anyway, can't set up the rear speakers as I need to hide the wires. But Stereo playback is absolutely supurb. When I first put it on I was damn impressed. Even sounds better than my Yamaha RXV 1400 in Stereo, which i'm surprised of.

Seems to have lots of features too which is nice. Can't wait to get it fired up in 7.1 and see what it does.

9. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The only thing I think, is that the base could possibly be a bit more tighter on Music. But it could have something to do with me having the base tone on +6. :)

10. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys

As some of you who have read under me before will know i have been on the lookout for a decent quality av amp to replace my old one. But i have been offered a very attractive deal from my local hi-fi shop a Denon 2805 brand new for £450.

I auditioned the 2105 and was impressed with its scope and actual detail within the sounds (i was hearing stuff i had never heard before.) So since they have the 2105 at the same price that another shop was offering the 2805 im going to go with the 2805.

But my question is this if i use the auto-setup will i still have to fine tune things? i have to admit im not all that adept at setting the things up. Aslo is it worth it?
    :lease:

11. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have just cited the very reason I bought a 2805. The 2105 looked man enough of an amp for me. Very good features for the price... but... because it is so new the price is VERY close to the 2805 which has even MORE features, auto setup (complete with high quality mic) and lip synch - both of which I thought were worth spending an extra £50 for. In your case its NO extra so its a no brainer. I don't NEED an amp as good as a 2805. I am sure I would have been stoked with a 2105 - I'm sure it's an awesome amp.. but if its near enough the same price...? I am sure in 3 months you will be able to get the 2105 for sub £400 but can you wait that long? I know I couldn't!
    Like I said before I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with a 2805. I am someone who has very little experience of high end kit. And you know what? I don't want it. I was perfectly happy with my PW6 until I saw what a Sharp LCD can do with High def video.
    Trust me.... enough is enough. You will be delighted with either amp I'm sure. It sounds GREAT with the auto setup - the only thing I have had to tweak is the sub - and I did that with the knob on the back of the sub - easy!

12. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    HCC have just reviewed the 2805 too and given it 5 stars and a best buy ! I'm looking at this over the yamaha 750 as it has more component inputs.

13. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Gaz theres is no contest i can get a 2803 for less money about 370 but paying the extra for the quick setup extra power and better video up conversion is what im thinking. But it leaves me with some good advice dont just shop around on the internet develop a rapor with your local's and they will try and get you the best deal they can, particularly when you remind them that the last beer was bought by yours truly ^^ I would like to demo the 2805 but i wont because i have no need i heard the 2105 and was impressed even if it was a little lax on bass and lacked some dynamics the 2805 has to be better so roll on payday (aka next friday)

14. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    £450 Brand New :eek: I'm lucky if I can get the local dealers around here to go to £698. From what I have read that is an awesome price for the kit you will get! Let me know, what you think as I am currently searching for a new AV receiver after my Sony just sold on the classified, and the 2805 is on my list of possibilities.

Ricky

15. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine for £520 brand new. In Chiswick - not a million miles from Redhill. The deals are out there and it may be worth the train journey (yes, I brought mine back to London Bridge on the tube!). You can just about get a 3805 for the kind of cash you mention.
    Happy shopping!
    G.

16. stephdub

stephdub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    Thanks Woodgaz, I have been thinking about making that trip, (presuming it's Krish). Do you know if they can demo it there, as I would want to pit it against the Yamaha 750, and 1400 to see if it is worth the extra money.

Also, can anyone tell me if you can increase the bass on the 6.1 ext input, as I have heard that many SACD players are lacking in bass, and I am hoping to get a new DVD player in the new year.

Thanks

Ricky

18. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say i am only getting that deal because i know the dealers well, and they are actually closing that branch down so there are bargains galore if i had the money a lot would be bought from there while its cheap. But alas life is about prioritys so a new av amp comes first, then dvd player etc etc. But if you want to know the shop pm me, as im not sure the mods will let me advertise shops etc etc

19. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    Thank you for your kind offer, but I think I have got myself a RXV-1400 for £449. I have paid a deposit on it, but won't believe it til I get it in my hands at the weekend.

Thanks for all your help though.

Ricky