Denon 2805 - first impressions...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SilverPenguin7, Aug 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    First of all, sorry if this is long winded but I'm on a late shift at work and very bored...

Well I finally moved on sunday just gone and of course the first room which needed attention was the living room so I could get my new system set up full detailed thread on the re-decoration and set up coming once my pc is up and running and my broadband has been switched to new house).

Firstly a big thanks to Sevenoaks Hifi in staines who ordered in a 2805 at the very last minute so I could have it for the big move (and also for price matching a fairly good online deal I found!).

For many years I owned a yamaha DSP A970 (I think that was the model number, old pro logic thing it was) and then upgraded to the Marantz 5200 for the 5.1, but in some ways always felt I had downgraded as the Marantz, though good, didn't have half as many back end toys as the old Yammy and felt much more low end than I was expecting.

I basically got the Denon on sunday on a blind purchase after having read some good things about it (sunday was move day and so I didn't have time to audition, plus I am a believer that unless you can get them to match all your other uquipment exactly, demo's aren't always very accurate!).

So, I set the 2805 up on monday with the new Radius 180's and the first thing that struck me was the superb quality of the build of the Denon!! It looks very very sleek and somehow menacing in its dark silver finish. All the buttons have a nice solid feel to them and the three knobs on the front all have a silent 'click' (if you see what I mean?!) as you turn them. Very sturdy stuff, so far so good!

Once I had plugged all my equipment in and turned everything on, the next thing to strike me was the amount of set up options available! x-over point, EQ settings, audio delay etc etc, straight away I felt like I had stepped back up to the relm of higher end amps that I had with the Yammy (even though I know the 2805 isn't really high end!).

The auto set up microphone feature works very very well. I thought this would be a bit of a gimmick to be honest but it is actually very accurate, with the exception of the sub. It seems to set the sub volume way to low for my taste and so I have found myself over-riding this setting and bumping up the sub from -2db to +3.5db.

The other good point is that all set up can be done with the screen on the amp, so if you have a plasma as I do, you don't have to fiddle about connecting the amp to the screen just to set it up.

The only other problem I had at first was with the remote, it has two sets of input buttons for selecting your sound source. Ones at the top that are only marked up for inputs and a second set which are also used as the 1-9 keypad. Strangely the main ones you need to use are the keypad ones and not the stand-alone ones at the top of the remote?! These are used for switching the remote to DVD controls or TV controls etc if you have programmed these devices in to it. However, my Pronto will soon remove the need for the remote so I'm not bothered about this.

So how does it sound...

I had read a lot of comments saying Marantz are more musical than Denon and so this aspect of switching was a small concern as although I don't buy many cd's I did want decent stereo reproduction. I am happy to report the Denon delivers, it is very crisp and clear yet not overly bright. My room accoustics are less than ideal right now as I have wooden floor and as I have only just moved there are no curtains or rugs etc to dampen the sound down. So I expect an improvment in sound once these things are in.

5 channel stereo is also much improved over my 5200 as this used to cut the bass in half when switched to 5 channel stereo. Happily the 2805 does no such thing, the bass level remains constant and the room is filled beautifully with sound from all around you.

So far I have only been able to test Dolby Digital via Sky+ and my Starsky & Hutch dvd (as my dvd's are still at my ex's house until the mess from my redecorating is cleaned up and I can store them at mine). I love the auto switching to DD when the amp pics up the relevant signal, although my Marantz may have done this but I did not have Sky+ hooked up via the optical link with it so I couldn't say.

With both Sky and DVD the amp sounds superb, sending bullets, voices etc all over the place with great precision. This is also the first time I have ever had 5 identical speakers for each channel and so the clairty of the rears as sounds go back and forth blew me away. I will be bringing a couple of my fav dvd's home over the weekend for further testing, especially to try out some dts as well. Obviously I am starting afreash with a new amp, speakers and room but I seem far far mroe involved with the sound than I had done before.

One thing I did notice is the sound drop out at layer changes that my 5200 suffered with are gone! THIS is one of the best things about the upgrade as the sound drop used to drive me mad. However the 2805 does no such thing, making the layer changes on my H/K 2550 almost unoticable now :thumbsup:

Another nice little feature is the display on the amps screen turns off automatically if you don't touch anything for a while, so if the amp is sitting in front of you as it is with me, you won't be distracted by its readout, great little feature!

The only feature I haven't found is individual input volumes, the xbox seems far louder than sky and dvd, where as on my 5200 it was much quieter.

I'm sure once I have finished decorating and really had time to sit down and set everything up perfectly I'll be even happier than I am now (haven't even dared to touch the EQ stuff yet!). But for the time being I have nothing but big big praise for this amp and am very very pleased I went for the upgrade (along with the tv, dvd player and speakers! Its been an expensive two months!!!!).

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

2. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Glad you like it i got the 3805 and it's a very good. i bought it because i love sacd music and i'm waiting to get 3910 dvd player

3. AgeOwns

AgeOwns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Though I'm a newbie to home cinema (though i did have pro logic speakers before) I'm loving the sound of my 2805 through my Kef 2005.2 Eggs.

Set up was easy, though the manual lacked a 'quick start' guide, as you had to fish through all the detailed setup info...most of which a newbie can't comprehend the first day he gets it, just to set it up enough to get sound.

Off to have another play with it now...