1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2805 - Component video conversion

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ndenbow, Feb 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I have a quick question.

I currently connect my Sky+ Pace box via RGB scart to my Panansonic Veira plasma, and my Pioneer DVD via component RCA (progscan). I am relatively happy with the picture that I get from RGB scart.

I am thinking of buying a Denon 2805 and utilising the Component conversion facility. Now, my question is (twofold);

Q: What signal do I take from my Sky+ box to the amp, S-video? If so, will I see an improvement in the picture by converting the signal to component, over that which I already have connecting directly with RGB scart?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    In many cases there is very little difference between S-Video and RGB from a scart. In theory RGB 'should' be better, but often is not by much if at all. If your display is a plasma or PJ then the difference may be more noticeable, but a 32" CRT is less likely to show it. But then again some screens are poor with handling RGB and therefore S-Video is better. Best option is to try both and see which works best on your equipment.
    You would need to use S-Video from Sky+ and I would say you will get no advantage by passing the Sky+ picture via the receiver and upconverting it to component. The upconversion changes the signal type, but does not improve the quality.

Mark.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Though some screens are better with certain types of signals even if there is no actual improvement in "quality" of signal.

The other option would be to get an RGB->component convertor and just use the 2805 to switch between sources.