1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2805 and Sky digital

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bazzah, Sep 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Have just purchased a Denon 2805, and have all my components video running through the amp. I get a picture fine on everything, except Sky. I am using a Scart to RCA convertor, of which I have tried two different ones that I know work, and used different cables which I know work. Any ideas why I cant get a picture from Sky through my Amp at all? It's nothing to do with cables, or the convertors, could it be something to do with the Sky box itself? Even though the Scart output is ok?!?!?

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What input are you running Sky into...? If it's one of the component inputs (the red, green & blue phono inputs) you won't get a picture at all as Sky dosen't output component - just RGB. And the 2 are entirely different.
    To get it to work, you'll need to put a JS Tech RGB to component converter inline before the Sky box goes into the amp. This will convert the signal to component, which the amp will recognise and output...

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    suggest you try S-video from Sky+ to amp.

4. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help. I am plugging it straight into component in, next to Svideo input. I only have a standard Sky box, so the only output is Scart.
    I think the problem is me being stupid. The Scart to RCA convertor I am using is an input, not an output, so I'll have to see if I can find a shop thats open tomorrow and go and buy a different one. Any ideas if high street shops such as Comet sell them?

5. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scart to phone & s-vid adaptor here:
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/AD001.html

Probably cost about £10 at Comet.

I've just connected my sky box into my 3805 to feed a signal to my projector over component.
    I managed to get a Grundig GDS3000 digibox on eBay - this machine has an s-vid output, and its looking pretty good TBH.
    I considered getting one of the RGB to s-vid convertors from JS Tech to use with my old digibox, but I bagged the Grundig for £16 :thumbsup:

6. McTroozers

McTroozers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your sky box 'scart' output provides composite video output (which you were probably feeding direct to your TV). The Denon 2805 upconverts from composite & s-video to component so try connecting into the composite in.

As you say, you may not have the correct cable. If not Commet, try Maplin.

I am looking at the 2805 as an option for my very first separate AV set up (along with pio 434 which I am waiting on, plus probably go for pio 868 & sky+.... still uncertain.... in every respect).

Interested to know how you get on & how you rate the 2805.

Donald

7. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the help. It was me being a dumb arse. Gonna have to stop drinking so much on a Friday night! It's all up and running now, and I am very impressed.
    As for my opinion of the Denon 2805, this is my second digital AV amp, and I am more than happy. I picked mine up for £520, and done loads of research on which amp to get first, and I have to say they were right for recomending it. The seperation of the surround sound is by far the best I have heard on an amp in this price range. Also, I have recently bought a 42" Plasma, which I was getting annoyed with because of a grainy picture. However, running it through the amp seems to have dramaticaly improved the picture. Weather it's the cables, or the amp, I dont know. Another feature I liked was the auto EQ setup, which works very well. If there is anything specific you want to know about the amp, let me know and I'll do my best to tell you.

8. McTroozers

McTroozers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as well we don't get beer offshore then, only 4 days 'till crew change.

All the reports suggest that off-air broadcasts give poor picture on plasma, including top of the range. This worried me slightly, but I knew there were many ways to overcome the problem (all down to money & good advertising).

Seems you are happy with your set up now. Even with Sky?

My short list today for Amps is - Denon 2805/3805, Yamaha RX-V2400 or Pioneer VSX-Ax5i/Ax3i. I don't think the Ax3i is available and not sure if you get i-Link version anyway.

The 2805 got a very good reveiw and so favouring it for now. Need to bite the bullet soon though!

Don't have any specific questions just at the minute on 2805, just wandering if you compaired any of the above in your quest.

As mentioned, looking to pair it with Pio 868 DVD, plus Kef 2005.2 - forgot to mention that before (wife likes the look of them... 'nough said!).

Not sure if I need to go the 'whole hog' for Pioneer to get the benefit of i-Link!
    What are the great benefits anyway?

Gonna buy soon!!

(Beer that is).
    :beer:
    Donald

9. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you said, all digital freeview boxes and Sky apparently do give a bad picture, and from what I have seen mine was quite bad when I first got my Plasma. To be honest, it was so bad that I was in two minds weather I should take it back or not. I previously had a 32" Sony, which set me back £1650 at the time, but was, and still is the best picture I have seen on a TV costing under 3k. Even the LCD's that I have personally seen aren't all that they are cracked up to be. However, after reading some forums, I found that the brightness/contrast settings are pretty critical, and dramatically improved my picture. DVD is near perfect, but Sky is a little grainy. I read somewhere that Sky Movies are the only channels on any digitally broadcast picture that give out a high enough frequency to give you an almost DVD like picture quality.

I'm a bit of a n00b tbh, when it becomes too technical with all this AV stuff, but I have always had good quality equipment, and know when I see and hear a good setup. Thats all I need to know! :D And I am very impressed with my stuff, considering how much I have spent.

As for the AX3i, I think you are right, it's not yet available, and the Yamaha RX-V2400 is around the same price as the Denon. I looked into the yammy as well, but was swayed by the reviews on the Denon.

As for your wife, don't listen to her! My missus didn't want me getting my Denon, coz she thought it was ugly. But as I said to her, when you are watching the telly, you don't look at the amp, so don't look at it!

I don't know if there are any great benefits of i-link. However, I did read that it only supports audio.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have a look at www.creative-audio.co.uk
    http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HCS_DEN2805_KHT2005.htm
    loads of packages on the kit you are interested in.

11. McTroozers

McTroozers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bazzah,

:lesson:
    Since when did 'the wife' listen to us!!
    I intend to hide all of the gear in a cabinet, apart from the plasma & speakers... that would be silly.

Hornydraggon,

:smashin:
    Thanks for info on creative-audio. Just looked up the site and will e-mail them for info & prices. I am going daft with searching the web for the 'best deal'.
    The prices are normally only low when out of stock (never had any in the first place).

Gonna buy soon...
    Only 3 days 'till I get onshore again...Ahhh!

Donald

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i take it your on a rig donald? Crestive actually have stock at those prices and (i have not bought from them) seem to offer a very good service.

13. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. McTroozers

McTroozers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HornyD,

Yes I work on a big platform in the North Sea, churning out loads of oil & gas, boys and their big toys eh!

Thanks for all the pricing leads.

Not that I'm tight wi the cash, just 'affae cannae'.

Keep you up dated.

Donald

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    there arfe a few rig bound guys that hang around here. Rigman for one...... I would love to work on a rig......

16. McTroozers

McTroozers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well guys I did it!
    I finally bit the bullet and parted with some cash (or at least bent some plastic).

Called creative audio today, very helpful & honest.
    As advertised they cannot supply 'mail order' Kef due to Kef's policy, but he did offer an alternative - JM Labs sib & cub speakers. I have read some stuff on these, but must admit finding it hard to get good info. Anyway I trust his advice (I know goes against every convention) and I am sure they will be fine.

So cut to the chase I ended up going for Pio 868 (MR), Denon 3805 (he's a good salesman - without pushing the issue!) & the mentioned JM Lab sib cub.
    All total including interconnects + HDMI, etc delivered..... £2245. No bad Eh!!

And I get them on Friday (day after I get onshore - weather permitting?).

Anyway Bazzah, we (I) seem to be getting well off your point.... Sky TV.

Now you have had a few days to evaluate the result on the plasma via the amp, what is your opinion, still OK?

I will let you know how I get on once mine is set up this weekend hopefully.
    DIY job, with my able assistant, the wife. Helps that I am a comms tech, at least I can make the tea and let her get on with the techy stuff.

If you are still uncertain on PQ there are still a few options available for further improvement, the fore mentioned JS Tech RGB - component convertor (£145)or the simillar device from keene electronics (£85). Prices from memory, need to check.

I am going to try mine first before trying anything else.

But anyway please update.

HorneyD,
    See if your mates can set you up with a job offshore if you fancy it. Beats working for a living, and the two weeks at home each month is great.

Hope I made a good choice on the speakers, its always a worry. :rolleyes:
    I Know the rest of the gear is top dog.

Anyway, its late and I get up at 05:30. Still fancy offshore HornyD?

2 days till beer time

Donald

17. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I hope you had a good salesman, and he hasn't palmed you off with something he has been pushed to sell! :nono: Let us know what it's like, but if you aren't happy with it, just send it back, as that is your right as a consumer!

So have you got plasma aswell? I'm just using a cheap component convertor for Sky, as I can't quite afford £150 for a top of the range job. But, I am happy with with the picture I have. As for your Denon, I have played around with mine alot, which is supposed to be the same as the one you are getting, just less power. If I were you, I would use the auto setup using the mic, then just tweak the levels after that until it sounds right to you. Mine sounds superb now, but has taken me a week to get it as it is. The only problem I had with the Auto EQ is that my front speakers are Bi-wired, and the auto setup only puts out audio on the main (A) speaker output. So I wired my A output to midrange/bass which gave me the best result. Would love to know why it doesn't output on A and B, unless it is me being a dumb arse?!? :blush:

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yeah i do my missus isnt too keen but i like the idea........ and the money.......... I have not heard the JMlab cubs but they are supposed to be good. as far as the thing goes get sky+ and then use S-video into amp and let amp convert i have seen this done using 38xx denons and it works very well. and with Sky+ at £99 cheaper than a converter if you amp has the option

19. McTroozers

McTroozers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bazzah,
    Thanx for the tip on sending back goods, I thought the days of the customer being right were all gone! Hope I don't need to.

Can't help on your amp prob though, maybe some hifi buff can help?
    The 3805 was not too much more in the scheme of things (+200 - 300 or so) with the package. But yeh, a beefed up version on the 2805.

HornyD,
    Your wife may be right (they usually are). Offshore does not suit everyone and is sometimes hard on those left at home.

I have Sky+ already and intend to buy a 2nd one for the HC setup.
    I contacted Sky to take up their wonderfull deal but got a bit of a run around. Problem is I already have another sky box (for the kids - :clap: good swap!) and that as they correctly said takes up three feeds from the LNB, sky + needs 2 more to work fully; problem, only one spare, and so Sky say it was not possible. Wrong!!!
    :lesson:
    I pointed out that I would replace the existing Quad LNB with a Quatro & take care of the distribution to give me enough connections for any amount of receivers. :confused: They did not get this, so I went on to explained that I have 20 + Sat receivers all fed from the one dish offshore - still they refused to grasp things....Is it only me that has problems 'getting through' to the nice people at Sky?
    Eventually now, they say that if I get my own box, then they will issue me yet another veiwing card. So trawling on eBay for a deal. Did not realise s-vid was available from Sky+, another good reason to go for it; if the absolute beauty of the system was not enough. Shame the subscription is so high for Sky though!

Bazzah,
    Suggest you think about upgrading to Sky+. You will wonder how you lived without it, honest! Sky have some really good offers on, check their site.

Anyway, home tomorrow pm. Goodies on Friday :D , and almost 2 weeks to play with the kit before coming Offshore again. It's a vicious circle!!

Troozers

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    whoa shes not my wife......yet.........
    Quattro and amp....... chat your local CAI installer up brand new Sky+ box for £160 ish.....

21. McTroozers

McTroozers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky + on eBay buy now £149, auction for about £130, watching & waiting. Missed one at the weekend by 2 quid last minute - went for £115, bummer!!

Troozers

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i would see if you could buy new (warranty etc) worth paying a bit more for peice of mind as they do tend to die a lot......................

23. bazzah

bazzah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is sound advice - out of the people I know with Sky+, at least 50% have had major problems with their boxes.

Worth paying for the warranty!! :clap:

24. McTroozers

McTroozers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:

Sorry guys for not updating....

My two weeks home was hectic! Builders, plumbers, DIY etc.

Back offshore for a rest?

Well I got all my kit - Pio 434, Denon 3805, Pio 886, JM Labs sib/cub speakers & Sky+ box (eBay job = £114).

Installed & set it all up under the supervision of 'the boss'.

Had a small hicup with the plasma though... The box had been opened and the display did not look brand new. Disapionted to see screen burn. Plus side mount speakers did not fit (they were for a 50 inch set). Anyway, contacted the local store (where I got a danm good deal - matching Net prices), they appologised for the mistake & proptly swapped it out - :) chuffed!

The wife said that she does not want to lift the display on/off the wall ever again (aparently it was heavy - I did offer to help :laugh: ).

3805 auto set up went OK - used onscreen set up.
    Not so impressed with the remote. Dim lit!! No good for daytime use. Probably get to like it. I have bought a Plam Tungsten to use with pronto software in any case, not sure about that either.

Sound and pics awsome on DVD - Virtual 3-D vision, sound rocks!!
    Haven't had time to do any tweeks, but first run impression TDB.

Hooked up Sky + with hours to spare before catching my chopper to come back out here. Only connected via composite video, looks OK. Only got B&W picture with S-Video, couldn't figure how to change the input on plasma so had to leave as was. Also slaved LCD TV in kitchen from Sky+ (hopefully encourage the little people to eat breakfast before school?)

Will finish the job properly when I get home again.
    I've brought the books out for some night time reading.
    (found how to change to S-Video now)

As you guessed back offshore in this beer free zone :thumbsdow

Update as/when..

Bazzah,

Any update on your Sky picture results? Still happy?