1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2803 help on set up needed plz

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by img, Feb 18, 2004.

Tags:
  1. img

img

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a denon 2803 and Acoustic energy evo speaker package. Been setting it up and it sounds great. just cant seem to get much out of sub. If i feel it is is moving when knobs tuned up on back but cant hear it if stand metre away. Can anyone give me help where im going wrong. Been looking tonight and will keep checking sure just simple thing i forgot.

What setting should my crossover frequency be set and what setting should i have on the actual seub?

Also if anyone lese has ay tips for me since this is my first home cinema seperates system would be welcome.
    Thanks for all the help this forum given so far

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Try all speakers set to small, all bass to the sub. 80hz crossover on the amp and the crossover on the sub set to MAX or if it has a direct bypass, switch that in. Ideally you need a sound level meter to balance all your channels to 75db including the sub although you can do it by ear (it's just not as accurate usually). Set the volume on the sub itself to around a third or half and then use the amps individual channel (SW) adjustment to fine tune it up or down. :)

3. kev3

kev3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Evo3's have a good bass response, so I'd recommend you set all the speakers to 'LARGE' and set your crossover as low as possible i.e. 40Hz. This way you'll have the LFE channel going to the sub.
    IMO this is the best way to go with your setup.

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The centre speaker's tiny.

I'd set all my speakers to small & crossover to 80hz were I you.

5. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    You could try setting your fronts to large and the other speakers to small. Do you have an option to send bass to both the amp and front speakers? I can't see why you would set your fronts to small when they are clearly on the larger side of the scale. As mentioned, subs crossover all the way and the gain to about one third. Crossover on your amp can be between 40/80hz. Also remember that you're not supposed to 'hear' a sub. You're supposed to 'feel' it.

Another alternative is to set your front speakers to large and your centre and rears to small and your sub to 'no or none'. You then connect your sub as a high level stereo connection instead of connecting from the sub pre out on your amp. Doing it this way gives you full control of your sub without having to worry about what settings you have on your amp.

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't use the crossovers in the sub or the Hi-Level connections, let your amp do all the filtering.

The poweramp channels of the 2803 will have trouble propogating the really low frequencies of movie soundtracks, and the sub just won't detect much.

Don't set your front speakers to large and your subwoofer to a X-over point above 40hz, as the bass created by each would cancel eachother out & you'll hear less bass instead of more.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Actually it'll create nulls and peaks within the room, which if set up properly can be very beneficial to the listening position. It does mean that anyone in the rest of the room gets ropey bass and it'll take several weeks to get right!

I'd set your subwoofer to "on"
    centre and rears to "small"
    Try the fronts with both "large" and "small" settings and see which you prefer.

The sub crossover should be set to max and the volume of the sub adjusted as follows:
    * Unplug your main speakers.
    * Play something you know well with plenty of bass (music is best)
    * Adjust the volume until you can just hear the sub from your listening position.

As you're new to it you may like to turn the sub up a fraction from here so you get more effect from it :D :devil:

8. kev3

kev3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

tiny?!
    and you'd be a good judge of that.. right?

AE Evo 3B Speaker Package