1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2803 and Yamaha V650RDS

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by superann, Aug 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. superann

superann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Can anyone give us a bit of advice about these two AV receivers?

We ordered a silver 2803 yesterday but had to cancel it. The price seemed very good (£400) but it turned out the firm concerned had only gold ones left (yuck). Most of the etailers seem to have run out of 2803s altogether or to have only gold ones in stock--one or two firms are charging a hefty premium for black or silver which we'd rather not pay.

So, a couple of questions:

Does anyone know of a new boxed silver 2803 still available at around £400?

In case there aren't any, how does the 2803 or its successor the 2805 compare to the Yamaha V650RDS in general, and particularly in terms of CD audio reproduction? Is the Denon significantly better than the Yamaha? If we can't locate a 2803, we're wondering if it would be worth paying the extra for a 2805, or if we should save our money and settle for the Yamaha. Whichever receiver we choose, we're planning to use it with a Pioneer 43MXE-1, and a digibox and DVD player (models still to be decided).

Thanks in anticipation,

Superann

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    For your £400 you can get the RXV750 whic should be superior to the 2803 as it has more power, auto setup, better DACs and has been tuned for stereo. There are a few people on here who own them and a few reviews on here from ownere:D

http://www.hughesdirect.co.uk/showitem.php?productcode=YAM-DSPAX750SE-TIT
    No radio though if thats important to you.

Worth checking out is the DV575 multi region universal player. Theres a huge thread in the dvd forum on it.
    http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2768&ReferrerCode=1

3. superann

superann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, DFour, that's useful to know. We do need the radio, and we don't really need loads of power because it's going into a modest-sized room, so probably the 650RDS would be ample powerwise. Thanks too for the tip about the Pioneer 575--have looked at all the good words in the forum, and will be collecting one from Richer Sounds today :)

We're still a bit puzzled at the price difference between the Yamaha and the Denon 2803/2805, though. If the Denon isn't significantly better than the Yamaha, why are Denon asking so much more for it? Don't want to start a fight, but could someone who has a 2803 or 2805 give an opinion? Or, better still, someone who has heard both the Denon and the Yamaha? Did read somewhere that the Yamaha sound can be a bit bright-sounding, but that was just one opinion.

Superann

4. superann

superann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo again, folks.

Please ignore part of my last post--we should have done our homework and realised just how many posts there have been already on this forum about Denon and Yamaha (and Marantz) receivers in the £350 to £600 price bracket we're interested in.

BUT we're still puzzled by the price difference between Denon and Yamaha receivers offering similar facilities and specs. Why are Denons significantly more expensive? Are you paying for the name, or what? (We were originally drawn to the Denon 2803 because of high praise heaped on it in What HiFi?)

Can anyone throw some light on this?

Superann

5. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was once a Yammy fan, having first bought a Yamaha prologic AV receiver. The balance of argument, informed by some listening, went against the 'effects' that Yamaha had pioneered (pardon the pun), and towards the 'less harsh', or just 'dry' effect that Denon gave, especially wrt music, and the Denon's greater sense of control. I plumped first for the AVR1602, then upgrading to the AVR2802 (largely for the pre-out functionality to accommodate a dedicated CDplayer and stereo amp in the set-up), The AVR2802 has enjoyed a good following on this and other av forums.

I've just upgraded to the processor/poweramp route, with Meridian processor and Denon poweramp, and so am sniffing about to see how my s/h AVR2802 shapes up to the latest models in terms of features and hence pricing. Its black, btw, and has PL2, pre-outs and an inbuilt tuner. let me know if you are interested.

But getting back to the Yam vs Den, the best approach would be to get your local dealer to do a back-to-back demo of price comparable models, using the variety of source material (DVDs, CDs) that you intend to play.

hth

6. superann

superann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Ditton15. We could easily have been tempted by the 2802 except that we'd decided we wanted to buy new, this time round at least. Good luck with selling it, though.

We're going to take your advice and try to arrange a demo soon. Specs and opinions can take you some of the way, but I guess there's no substitute for listening to the things!

Superann

7. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's fine. enjoy the demo's

8. nicko

nicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I recently bought the Yamaha 650rds, and have to say....

it's GREAT!

I live in Portugal and the price diference betwen Denon and Yamaha are more acentuated, so no doubts for me.

Did had the oportunity to hear the Yamaha before bying it, in a dealer, but not to conclusive! There's nothing like... home! More so, if this digital machine have so many tunning options.

Of course u could go 'pure direct' modes and so on, but do not forget one thing. If I was going to choose one receiver for its stereo - ie, music (only) - capabilities, I would stick with my old stereo amplifier, that served me very well (and still do), for about 15 years. But if I pretend an AV Receiver, please! Do choose with that in mind, because if you don't, maybe you just are searching for the wrong thing.

The Yamaha 650rds is loaded with everything you could want in a receiver at todays more recent standards, not even the Denon as such a complete list. Also for the price, for sure no other brand (I know!?) could beat those specs.

By the way... the old 2 channel Amp... with two beautifull 'vintage' Mission speakers on each side....
    a Denon! ;)

AB

9. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nicko makes a good point, or at least one that I agree with!

Don't look to an AVamp to deliver good music, or at least don't expect too much. The DVDplayer + AVamp combination is poor second best to the comination of moderately priced combination of CDplayer and stereoamp. My move to buy an AVamp for 5.1 purposes resulted in a revival of interest in listening to music. I upgraded to the AVR2802 in order to get the pre-out functionality that allows the (good second hand) stereoamp to be placed between the AVamp and the main speakers.

I'll leave my sig. attached to illustrate a particular combination of equipment for AV and music. A simpler combination would be:

DVDplayer -> AVamp -> centre, 2 surrounds and a sub.
    AVamp preouts -> stereoamp -> main speakers
    CDplayer -> stereoamp

{In passing I mention that some would argue that you can use a dvdplayer for CD replay by adding a dedicated dac (digital to analogue converter).}

10. superann

superann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Nicko and Ditton15 for your insights!

We had a demo of a 2805 (with AE Aegis speakers) a couple of days ago and were pretty impressed. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to do a side-by-side with the Yamaha 650. But I THINK we'll be going for the 2805 anyway.

The current buying spree is aimed at installing a modest home cinema system with the ability to play audio CDs in our living/dining room. The audio doesn't have to be up to audiophile standards, just acceptable for occasional listening. (Anything would be an improvement on the old Panasonic ghetto blaster we're using there at the moment!) Like I say, the demo was impressive but I thought the sound wasn't quite as open as with our old Technics amp + B&W603s, or even hubby's ancient Quad 33/303 with a pair of MS bookshelfs, which we have elsewhere in the house.

But as you say, an AV receiver is going to be a compromise. I think the 2805's audio quality will do for the moment. If it seems a limitation later on, we might do as Ditton15 suggests and stick a proper hifi amp on the pre-out!

Superann