Denon 2803 and Kef KHT 2005.2 Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nasgul, Oct 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Nasgul

Nasgul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have recently become the proud owner of a Denon 2803, 2900 DVD and a set of Kef 2005.2 5.1 eggs.

I have configured them according to the support advice from both Denon and Kef, which I should say was excellent.

I have also use a sound meter to calibrate, which really made a difference.

No real problems, but I would be interested to know if anyone else has the same setup and can give me further advice on optimum setup. Especially the settings on the Sub.

Also, my DVD 2900 is UK region only, the supplier explained I can use a software upgrade to make it multiregion, but they were concerned that the upgrade had negative effects on the dvd audio capability. Has anyone else heard of this problem ?

Thanks,

2. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nasgul,
    I've got 7 KEF 2005.Ss and sub-woofer, but with a Pioneer VSX-D2011 amp/receiver. My sub-woofer settings are:
    Crossover: Max
    Input Level: Halfway
    Phase: Halfway (90 degrees)
    Sub is positioned approx 4 ft to left of front left speaker. Although amp is different, settings should still be the same, or similar. At the end of the day it's down to individual preference, but try the settings that I have suggested and fiddle from there.
    Re your Dvd, I don't see why adjusting the region compatability should affect the sound or picture performance, though it will cancel your warranty.
    Numerous DVD's can be hacked by inputing codes on remote control or unit itself, rather than a softwear upgrade. I have a list of all manufacturers, models and codes, but unfortunately it is in my work and I am off at present, due to torn muscles in my shoulder. Perhaps someone else could advise if you can hack the region code remotely, without the need for a softwear upgrade.

3. Nasgul

Nasgul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, I have adjusted the sub accordingly and twiddled it a bit to get the best results.

Decided to buy a DVD Audio disc yesterday, first one on my 2900, Queen's Night at the Opera. WOW ! it sounded absolutely incredible, the prophet song was really impressive and the eggs handled Bohemian Rhapsody at room shaking volume with ease.

4. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit more of a soul/disco music man, than a Queen fan....I'm caught in an early 80's time warp !! :suicide:
    But I'm glad you have found settings that will make you appreciate your music. The Denon or the Pioneer, with the KEF's will both sound brilliant, but like anything, you have to do a bit of fiddling and experimenting before you find exactly what suits your taste.
    Cheers.

5. gpa

gpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick note regarding your 2900, mine has been de-regioned and it is simply a matter of a software change to the dvd player via a disc which you supplier should have. it does not affect your warranty and has no effect on picture or sound.

cheers

6. Nasgul

Nasgul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, that's great, I will contact my supplier.

I noticed you have the big brother to my amp, when you play a dvd audio disk, i.e. DTS , does your amp auto switch and display the DTS message/ light.

I noticed that mine only does this if I select CD input (Digital/ coaxial) on the amp.

If I select DVD (Optical input), I still get the sound and appear to have surround, but the amp does not display the DTS notification or light ?

Thanks,

7. gpa

gpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi currently playing linkin park dvd-a and the dvd does reconise it as such, red light as aposed to blue for sacd. i run mine anolog out and amp set to dvd ext in, so amp does not show dvd-a.

But if I put stings album which is a dts album not dvd-a the dvd player and amp reconise it as such provided you select dts via on screen graphics.

even I'm confused by the above but hope it makes sense

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    Nasgul - that's a great set up did you buy that all in one go - it must have put a big hole in your pocket! :eek: