1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2802 switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jim Hudd, May 13, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Jim Hudd

Jim Hudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody confirm a couple of things for me please.
    First, the 2802 does S/Composite switching. Does this mean that you can connect your monitor to an S output and the amp will sort out whether the input is S or composite and provide an S signal to the monitor output. Basically does the amp convert between S and composite signals.
    Second, if the above is true does the amp provide this function for the RGB connections?

I have a Sky digibox with RGB out, a DVD player (RGB or S), and S-VHS VCR, a Laserdisc player and a Playstation2. I would like to connect everything thru the amp and have one connection to the TV. S is signal I'd like to use but I will need convertors for the Digibox and Laserdisc unless the amp will do this for me.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Jim Hudd.

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there's no conversion on the amp...

you've got separate composite, s-video and component feeds...

ie separate monitor out cables for each type.

only get this type of feature on very expensive amps.

3. Jim Hudd

Jim Hudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what does "S/Composite switching" mean then? Anyone have one of these amps and can advise?

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes Jim, I have one of these amps.

it just means the the amp can switch between those types of signal.. no conversion or upscaling at all though... so you need one of each type of cable going out to your tv or display.

probably a bit of the confusion comes from the denon manuals. they do tend to be a little unusual in their translation sometimes.

a top of the range scart switcher might be easier anyway, to be honest... and then you are not relying on the amp being switched on.

what type of signal does the laserdisc output?

presumeably the Playstation may also be doing RGB.

5. Jim Hudd

Jim Hudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LD only ouputs composite since the discs are only pressed as analogue composite. The PS2 wll chuck out composite, S or RGB but currently I use it on S on my TV only has 1 RGB input. My reason for wanting all signals on S (or the amp to switch) is that the sky box VCR scart only ouputs composite and it's TV scart does RGB or composite. My VCR records apalling pictures on a composite signal; everything has a wierd supernatural looking halo around it !!! Although I suppose it could be the signal from the sky box being to strong.

In light of the amps lack of conversion I think I'll get an RGB to S convertor for the sky box and a Composite to S for the LD and then run everything as S into an amp with 1 video connection to the TV.

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thats one way of doing it.

being fair, there isn't many amps (that I know of) that can do this... think one of the 2-3k Denon amps could do this but nothing else I can remember.

just be wary that widescreen switching for Sky might not work after the svideo conversion... its certainly not guaranteed.

why not just get the converter for sky, loop it into the svhs vcr and leave that going into scart 2 on the TV.. completely separate and with the quality you want on the recording... a spare scart for something on the digibox also.

that leaves you scart 1 free for whatever method you want, whether its a scart switcher or through the amp.

what composite to svideo converter are you going to use?
    the small converter £5 one from keene/ lektropacks?

7. Jim Hudd

Jim Hudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It surpises me that amps don't do signal coversion. S-Composite isn't too difficult and Keenes' RGB-S is only £60 so it doesn't seem too much of a jump to add £100 to an amp to do it.

I've given up on widescreen switching anyway, mainly since I screwed with my TV system menus and now only Widescreen mode has a picture I consider watchable! (One day I'll find enough info to sort it out!) The PS2 games mostly support 16:9 and I rarely watch LD's these days so switching to a zoomed letterbox for that is no real hardship. My DVD player (Dansai) doesn't support S signals thru scart so I don't have any switching there anyway!

I've thought about just looping the VCR into Sky-TV signal path but I'd like an amp as well. At the moment the TV decodes the Dolby digital signal and then powers the fronts and rears with it's own internal speakers becoming the centre. I have decent speakers for the fronts and rears but the TV amp just isn't really up to it and as a centre speaker, well it's barely adequate.

I'm thinking about the Denon 1802 amp and having everything arrive at the TV on 1 channel means it's simple for the rest of the family, especially as I don't have much auto switching anyway.

And yes, I was planning on using the Keene S-Composite convertor.

8. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    its not that surprising really... other countries have different requirements, HDTV etc... plus the margin on £400 amp isnt that much, so adding conversion internally would add more to the cost.

does the TV auto-switch, surely between scarts 1&2..?

also remember you want to be able to record sky at the same time as watching dvd & playing games... you can do it on the amp but its not very user friendly for the wife/ family thing.

It would make more sense if you left sky going through the converter then into the svhs video..., (assuming this routes sky through when you are not using the vcr).

two choices then...

1. connect the vcr (with sky passing thru) to the tv via normal scart, with the rest of the equipment going through the amp... you can still connect sky/vcr up for audio and turn the TV down when you want this.

2. connect the video to the amp with an svideo cable... (again the caveat

either of these should allow you to video sky and do something else at the same time.

hope this helps.

tell me how the comp-svideo converter is.. may use this at some point myself.

9. Jim Hudd

Jim Hudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV will autoswitch on all 3 scarts, but the DVD player is connected with an S-Video connector at the player end so the scart switching signal isn't available anyway. The PS2 doesn't have a switching signal even with a scart.

If the amp isn't easy to set up to record from one input whilst using another then I may route the signal from the Sky box thru the VCR to the amp. I'm not sure if the VCR allows a scart signal to be passed thru without the VCR being on, but it's not really a problem turning it on!

I've just ordered the RGB-S convertor so I'll see how it goes routing Sky thru the VCR. If all's well and the recordings look good then I'll order the amp. If not I'll have to order a Sky+ box instead and sell the VCR !!!

The S/Composite thing will happen once the amps ordered.

10. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes, I'm probably heading the sky+ route myself with a projector soon.

far easier in terms of converters, cabling etc..

have fun and keep us upto date with the converter.