Denon 2802 sampling rate

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dr.Rock, Apr 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    My Pioneer-444 DVD player has an option to output audio at 96kHz for AV amps which have the ability to take it, or I can select the normal 48kHz setting. Does anyone know what is the sampling rate of the Denon 2802 and will it take the 96kHz setting?

Thanks.

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 2802 will accept 96kHz information from your DVD player without any problems. 24-bit 96kHz DADs (Digital Audio Discs: conventional DVDs with enhanced resolution uncompressed stereo PCM content) are as rare as hen's teeth these days, so it may not be of much practical use, though.

Adam

3. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for the reply, Adam.

My Pioneer-444 DVD player also has the option to output MPEG bitstream or to convert it to PCM. As you confirmed, the Denon 2802 amp can take a PCM input. Can the amp also take the MPEG input? If so, what's better out of MPEG or PCM audio bitstream?

4. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon doesn't include MPEG audio processing (very few amplifiers of any sort do). You will need to set the DVD player's audio output handling to MPEG >> PCM.

This isn't a major loss as the format is essentially dead on DVD; some older DVDs may include MPEG soundtracks, but none are manufactured nowadays. Many of these discs will also include a complementary Dolby Digital soundtrack as well, making the amplifier's lack of MPEG processing ability moot.

If you do have any DVDs with only MPEG soundtracks (unlikely I would imagine), the soundtrack will be converted to stereo PCM by the DVD player, even if the MPEG soundtrack is multichannel.

Like DAD 24/96 digital input, internal MPEG processing isn't a feature you are likely to get much use from in any case, even if the Denon had it.

Adam