1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2802 - Progressive/interlaced component

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by naturally, Jul 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am a happy owner of a 2802. I want to connect 2 DVD players to the Denon. One will provide a progressive NTSC signal and the other an intelaced PAL signal.

Can I connect them both to my 2802 component in ? Will it just pass the signal to the video source (using component), or will the signal be modified ?

Will it degrade the signal ?

Another option which I do not like would be to buy another 8-meters component-RGB cable, but this will be expensive.

Any ideas or pointers ?

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i have my tosh 510 connected throught the component in on my denon 2802 and the progressive mode on the tosh works fine through the amp with no picture degradation or processing, you should be amble to connect both players to the component in and switch them no problem

3. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

This is what I needed to know before buying the expensive cables.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This is what I needed to know before buying the expensive cables.

Why "expensive"? You can solder some yourself: a couple of meter SAT cable (75 Ohm) and RCA/phono connectors will do the trick, you can customize the length, too.

5. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried this before, but it is difficult to get good quality cables here, and the projector I have takes a RGB 15 pin socket. So I need to make a component (3 RCA) to 1 15 pin. Too complex for me.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ok, point taken. ;)

7. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Naturally -

This should work for the component signal but the signal from the region 2 player needs 4 cables - red, green, blue, plus sync on composite.

If the Denon supports switching its composite video I/O in parallel with the RGB signal then IMO all will probably be well - if not I don't think it will work :-(

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

8. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I understand what naturally is trying to do, then yes, it should work.

If I understand him correctly, he has two DVD players, both of which have component video outputs (one does NTSC progressive, the other PAL interlaced), and he wants to connect one to the TV/DBS component video IN connectors, the other to the DVD component video IN connectors, and then a single component video lead (well a set of 3 actually :) ) from the component video out connectors (MONITOR) to his projector.

Providing the Denon can take the bandwidth on it's component inputs (and as it's designed to switch component video, I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if it couldn't) then I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work.
    Or am I missing something?

9. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

YES.

This exactly what I wanted to do.

I got some cheep A/V cables (the stuff you get free with DVD players, VCR's .. etc) and tried the setup as detailed above with them. I worked fine (except for the signal degradation because of the cables). So I know now that it works. I placed an order for the cables.

Thanks for all the help.