1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2802 or Yam RX-V640SE?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by F1ash, Jun 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I'm new.. :)

Okay, so I've eliminated the Marantz 5300.. and the Sony 1080 (What Hi Fi seem to blinded by spec) and am left with the Denon 2802 and Yammy 640SE.

I've currently got a Yammy DD/DTS but was perfectly pleased with the movie side of things.

Anyone know if the Denon is as good sounding for movies? I've heard it might be a little lacking in the bass department and might loose a little control when pushed? I'm not massively concerned about CD playback as DTS-neo6 will be a big bonus for the Yammy over my old one.

The only other deciding factor is that the Denon can play simultaneous sources which is good as I've chased spkr cables through to my conservatory. Plus it has a learning remote - though it looks very dated.

Price wise my local Sevenoaks have black ones for £370 - not great as I've read that it can be got for £300, and the Yammy is £300 at QED / £305 ED.

According to ED my Hitachi 42PD3000 should arrive end June (probably 11th July though), so I have a week or 2 to decide.

Any feedback would be much appreciated :)

2. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone have any knowledge of the Denon or a similar model?

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    The Denon's are sometimes perceived as having "less" bass when in fact they tend to have tighter more accurate bass. But a lot will also depend on the speakers you are using. The 2802 is certainly very good for movies (and pretty good for music), it also has both Dolby PLII and DTS Neo so you'll be able to decide which is better. ;)

It does have a multizone function but you will need a seperate amplifier for that. The 3802 and newer 3803 models have a Power Amp Assignment feature which allows you to use their Surround Back amps to drive another pair of speakers in another room.

Basically, you should really listen to both the Denon and the Yamaha and choose which sounds best to you. :)

4. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got Kef Q's all round and a 12" Paradigm sub so I guess they don't need any further help in the bass department anyway.

I'll have my redundant Yamaha DD/DTS amp plus I have an old Kenwood stereo amp too.

I really can't decide... maybe I need more power???

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    It's up to you, but a few more watts per channel is unlikely to make much difference to the overall sound. Most manufacturers "juggle" their power output figures anyway to make them look more potent, so don't be swayed towards one or another because of that.

The Kef Q series are fairly easy speakers to drive, if you set all the speakers to small and route all bass to the sub then the load on the amp will also decrease. The 2802 will drive them perfectly well, as will the Yamaha.

6. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for the advice.

I guess the Denon might just win for it's ability to play 2 different sources at once - my girlfriend likes to read and listen to music in the conservatory.

None of my local dealers have both to demo unfortunately.

7. F1ash

F1ash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cool. Have decided on Denon 2802 in gold. Can definitely get it new for £350 from a couple of places and maybe even £300. Cheers for the advice, Jase.

Have just ordered a Tosh SD330 for £99 from Amazon (nearly went for a Panny E50 recorder but I think I'll wait). Ridiculously good price, and free delivery!

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    No worries. Toshiba have an excellent track record for dvd players as well. Nice choice. :)