1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2802 or 3802?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by grumpyguy, Jun 16, 2002.

Tags:
  1. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am considering upgrading my current amp to the denon 3802, but is the 2802 as good, or will the 3802 be more cost effective with the extras it has.:confused: :confused:

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been setting up my new Denon 2802 for most of tonight, and must say the Dolby Pro Logic 2 sounds pretty damned good. what an improvement over Pro Logic 1.

as of yet I cant get any sound out of my DVD Player, but that is because I,m new, and dont really have a clue what I,m doing

3. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    grumpy.. there have been threads before comparing the 3802 & 2802... do a search and you should fine something.

both are great amps and support all the latest sound formats... you really cant go wrong with either.

in my opinion, there's not much difference.. definitely not much in it if you are only going to put 1 rear centre in.

note... contrary to what others have said, bar 7.1 inputs for some future audio source (none at this present time), there is no difference in terms of "future proofing".

£150+ is not to be sniffed at.

4. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In the latest copy of what hifi? they review all the denon amps, the 2802 gets 4/5 while the 3802 gets 5/5.

Some of the differences are the 3802 has 32 bit SHARC floating point processors, the 2802 is 24 bit, so the 3802 will have a slightly better sound.

Power is 105W in the 3802 but 90W on the 2802, the 3802 also has a 'heftier transformer'

Overall it is supposed to be more powerfull, with better bass and treble, and better for music too with less colouration than the 2802.

Hope this helps - think I'm sold on the 3802 personally :cool:

5. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Went out tonight and bought the mag, then bought the 3802 from discounttv.co.uk, wicked!!!!!!

6. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good stuff! :devil: Let us know how it sounds when you get it!

7. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Welcome to the 3802 clan :)

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Can anyone tell me if you have to use two back surrounds with the 3802, one would be enough for me, so I may just go for the 2802.

9. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tim, its optional.. you can happily use just 1 speaker with the 3802.

regardless of the review in What Hifi comparing the 3802 against the other Denon models (5 star and 4 stars), the 2802 is very close in spec.

I demoed both - indentical on DVDs, and very very similar with music... no difference to my ears.

as is, in comparision to other home cinema amps, both are excellent... certainly better the Sony 925 you currently have in all respects.

Marantz, Yamaha and others are getting pretty close though, and often cheaper.

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks for your views Martin :)

11. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Party Animal

Did you get the 2802 setup and if so, how does it sound?

How new are you to all this stuff?

DEO

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally posted by DEO
    Hey Party Animal

Did you get the 2802 setup and if so, how does it sound?

How new are you to all this stuff

Answer to "did I get it set up"
    "Yes"
    but am still slowly learning all the buttons on the remote.

"How does it sound"
    well it completly blew me away, the seperation of the sound is just fantastic, and I can now hear much Lower frequencies than I could with My Digitheatre DTS System.

I bought the Kef Eggs to go with it, and also bought the extra (6th) speaker, which really does give better surround at the back, it gives total immersion of the movies.

as an example I watched Gladiator in DTS ES matrix mode and it is quite awesome, the Archers firing the arrows sound like they are coming from all directions.

and Another movie I just bought
    Black Hawk Down region 3 has DTS es matrix and there are lots of Helecopter scenes, Hovering and the panning around the various speakers, just sounds incredible.

as for the Loudness of the 2802, well I have an above average size of room, and it would be impossible to have the volume anywhere near full volume, as it would probably shatter the windows.

How new am I to home Cinema, I started with bog standard pro logic TV about 8 years ago, then got the pace MSS1000 sattelite with pro logic (which was far better than the TV p/logic)

thenn I got the Videologic Digitheatre DTS, which for the money is a great home cinema starter kit.

and Have now got the Denon Kef combo, with a 42" Plasma coming very soon, I have completly rebuilt the front of my room ready for the 42" beasty. and built some cupboards into the wall to house my DVD Collection.

13. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I rang them today and changed my order from the gold to the black as it will go better with what I have now. This is in stock, but won't be sent out till next monday. Can't wait
    :D :D :D :D :D :D