1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2802 for £325 - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jumpt_upmunky, Jun 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. jumpt_upmunky

jumpt_upmunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi,
    I've just been to my local hi-fi shop and he offered me one of these for £325.
    Seems like a good deal, I mainly watch films.
    Or is there a better amp in this price range?
    Cheers

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    £300 seems to be the best price for a 2802 (I think it's hispek that have them in stock at this price).

IMHO it's an excellent amp for this money - it's been discontinued but it's original rrp was £650 so you can tell that it doesn't belong with the Sony 1080s of this world. It's got just about all of the toys that the new model will have - the biggest ommission being Audio Delay, but £250+ is a lot to pay to correct lip sync issues that you may not suffer from anyway.

If you like it's sound (and it's looks, which are important) then I'd buy it.

3. bigdunc

bigdunc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    bartletts hi-fi have it in gold for £300

02076072148/2296

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's definitely worth £300. The pre-outs provide its obvious advantage over my own receiver, the AVR1803.

The performance of both doesn't really have anything in it. Although the latter is available for around £280ish, and (as my side by side comparisons had shown) just had the edge on movie performance.

Also worth considering is an SR5300 from Marantz - questionable build quality though.