1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2802 connection problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jag, Aug 12, 2002.

Tags:
  1. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help with this setup problem?
    My system currently consists of:

Panasonic 32TXPL1
    NTL digital box
    Denon 2802
    Pioneer DV444
    Velodyne CHT-10 subwoofer

Basically my recent purchases have been the Denon amp and the Velodyne sub. I have no speakers yet but I still want to get the amp and sub integrated into the system.

They are currently connected as:

NTL - TV : SCART
    DVD - TV : SCART
    AMP - DVD : Digital Coaxial, phono
    AMP - SUB : phono
    AMP - NTL : phono

This is how I think should be connected but I'm sure that either something is wrong or is missing or both as I can't get the amp and sub integrated.

Nothing happens when I click on the setup button on the Denon remote. This should bring up the On-Screen Display but doesn't.

Also, should the amp be connected to the NTL box via phono or to the tv?

What should I be doing?

Thanks for any help.

Jag.

2. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    You need a phono from the monitor out socket on the amp to your TV (you could just use the AV socket on the front when you need it if you haven't got any spare SCARTs). This will enable you to see the setup screens (which I found v. friendly)

I would connect your NTL box audio directly to the amp rather than through the TV.

3. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Normally the connector is yellow in colour for the video in input on the AV sockets. On my TV this input is on AV3 and you have to switch to it manually via the TV's remote control, as unlike the scart sockets it does not auto switch.

4. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the that guys. I've just cracked it. Realised that I had my cable attached to the tv socket on the amp rather than the monitor :rolleyes:

I used the test on the menus and I got sound out the sub. But I still don't get it when I play a dvd. What else do I need to do?

Cheers,

Jag.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can connect in two ways, NTL to amp via phonos, or TV to amp via phonos, the advantage of connecting the latter is that any sorce played through the TV with be heard through the amp, providing it is switched on :D plus you only need one set of phono's. The sound can vary from STB and TV audio outs, so try both ways and go with the one that sounds best to you.
    You say you have no speakers, are you trying to boost the LF from what you are getting from the TV by using the amp to run the sub?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906

7. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did of course mean "cracked it using your help Ian" :blush:

bob007: Yes, I do mean "to boost the LF from what you are getting from the TV by using the amp to run the sub". Is this possible, not worthwhile, simple to do?

8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't see why it won't work, IMO not worthwhile, simple to do yes.

Try connecting the TV to amp via phonos, select source on amp, select desired volume on TV then adjust the amps volume till you reach the amount of bass you require.

You may have to go into the bass management to select 'yes' for sub and speakers to small.

Never tried this so it's just a guess.

;)

9. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers bob, I'll give it a go anyway.

10. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not familiar with the Velodyne CHT-10 presume it's got crossover and volume, set crossover to about 2o'clock and volume the about 12o'clock then you can make further adjustments to the volume via the amp.

11. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it going :D I had to turn the amp master volume up a fair bit but at least its working.